COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 22 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's apparently just an anxiety thing, but man is it not fun.
When it's happened to me, it was when dealing with a personal loss.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is anything like what you're experiencing but when I'm tired/stressed I will sometimes experience something called "air hunger" where it feels like I can't breathe in enough air no matter how deep I'm inhaling. The best I can describe it is that I feel like I need to take super deep breaths all the time but it feels like I can't breathe deep enough and I'm not getting enough air. It's apparently just an anxiety thing, but man is it not fun.
Thank you for sharing that. I don't think that's exactly what I had, but I'm sure it was something similar. I really never knew how screwed up and how strong symptoms can be from anxiety.
They can be completely debilitating - I've seen it in patients/clients of all ages.
When it's happened to me, it was when dealing with a personal loss.

When military pilots start getting over tasked an feel this way it has been studied and labeled "work of breathing". Even phyiscally fit people can get task saturated and the body automatically starts take those deep breaths when simple tasks start adding up. Sure most of us aren't forced to breath through an oxygen mask but the article linked below gives a pretty good explanation of task saturation, how it effects breathing and how we perform tasks.

...Though physiological episodes have long existed, Luchtman said – with symptoms ranging from headaches to tingly fingers to dizziness to loss of consciousness........

Instead, “even under benign conditions, the act of breathing highly concentrated air from a closed-loop system while encumbered by bulky flight gear in a cramped cockpit is not easy. And in the dynamic environment of a fighter cockpit, we also add to the equation temperature variance, exposure to continual changes in Gs and pressure, all while managing an overwhelming amount of sensory input. All this amounts to increased what we call ‘work of breathing.’ Over time, increased levels of work of breathing can lead to fatigue and changes in breathing patterns, leading to inefficient gas exchange, and many of those symptoms look a lot like hypoxia,” he said.

Navy Clear on Causes of Physiological Events in Pilots; Final Recommendations Released for PE Mitigation - USNI News

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Got my 2nd shot yesterday at 3:30. Woke up with a headache, sore throat, and general lethargy. Hopefully it's gone by this evening.

Reaction Score
Got 2nd pfizer on Tuesday. I was pretty tired for a day but I also just got back from a vacation in Miami so idk if it was the vaccine or if South Beach got the best of me lol

Either way, no real side effects from either dose and the nurses who administered it were super hut both times so that was cool

Reaction Score
Got Moderna #2 Wednesday. Yesterday was pretty miserable with aches and chills. Feel fine this morning. All in all it could have been worse.

Reaction Score
Got my 2nd Pfizer on the 20th. Just a little arm pain - nothing else.

First shot was March 30
Got COVID from my son - think I was infected on April 4
Tested positive for COVID on April 8

Was a little concerned about getting the shot right after getting over COVID, but I had it pretty mild and had no symptoms going into the shot so I did it and no issues.

Feel like I'm super-protected now!

(the irony being that I traveled through most of the summer and fall and caught COVID in my house)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Following up on this, doctors have confirmed my heart and lungs are fine and they do not think I'm a COVID long-hauler. I could be, but they aren't seeing any signs of it and they told me what I experienced was not shortness of breath. They have no explanation for the other symptoms so they've told me I likely have anxiety, probably from spending too much time on this board, or from ruminating over the possibillity that I might be a mess from COVID. It still seems very odd to me that I felt so amazing after both vaccine shots, that doesn't seem like a mental thing--quite the opposite--but what do I know? The human brain is a pain in the ass.

I didn’t check out all of your other posts, but I’m going through similar things.

Can’t distinguish between anxiety and actual symptoms, but I was almost certain I had it right when it was just becoming a “thing” last February and I have felt weird, on and off symptoms the last year with headaches and other things.

Felt nothing both shots and my doctor(s) haven’t found anything to be concerned with.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In Massachusetts the mass vaccination sites (like Gillette stadium) are now taking walk-ins as demand has slowed. They plan to shut those locations down in a few weeks. My second shot is a week from tomorrow.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
What are people thinking about vaccinating kids? My daughter turns 12 in July, and it looks like she will become eligible for Pfizer. For some reason, I'm not quite as gung-ho about her getting the shots as I was myself, although when i think about it I lean toward it making more sense to get her vaxxed than it does to wait.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What are people thinking about vaccinating kids? My daughter turns 12 in July, and it looks like she will become eligible for Pfizer. For some reason, I'm not quite as gung-ho about her getting the shots as I was myself, although when i think about it I lean toward it making more sense to get her vaxxed than it does to wait.
Early on in the vaccination process there was some concern among medical professional regarding the possibility of a risk to fertility from the shot. Sorry that is so vague, but I am relaying a conversation that I heard form a few different sources rather than anything more specific. So to be clear, I have no specific info on this. The other piece of the pie is I believe the disease to be relatively low risk for kids her age. Also, it isn't clear to me if exposure conveys more benefit than vaccination. If I were making the decision I'd do a lot of internet research (medical journals, etc.) and then raise those three points with her pediatrician and ask his or her opinion. It is a tricky question because her reduced risk from the disease.

* I have no particular medical expertise, so take all of that with a copious amount of salt.

Reaction Score
My 18 year old had the Moderna first shot and it wiped him out for 2 days - but he had COVID 3 weeks prior so that might be part of it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Honestly, I would not while the vaccines are available under an Emergency Use Authorization. My daughter got a Moderna shot, and I had some misgivings about that, but she's 18 so it was her call. Her chosen college plans to require it. The risk from Covid-19 for a child is so low that I would wait until there is a fully FDA approved vaccine with longer term testing.

But people need to decide for themselves, if the FDA even extends the EUA to that 12-15 age bracket. It may not given the very low risk to that group.

Reaction Score
Early on in the vaccination process there was some concern among medical professional regarding the possibility of a risk to fertility from the shot. Sorry that is so vague, but I am relaying a conversation that I heard form a few different sources rather than anything more specific. So to be clear, I have no specific info on this. The other piece of the pie is I believe the disease to be relatively low risk for kids her age. Also, it isn't clear to me if exposure conveys more benefit than vaccination. If I were making the decision I'd do a lot of internet research (medical journals, etc.) and then raise those three points with her pediatrician and ask his or her opinion. It is a tricky question because her reduced risk from the disease.

* I have no particular medical expertise, so take all of that with a copious amount of salt.
There is no association between the vaccine and fertility

CL82

Reaction Score
If any medical professional had this concern, it was without any foundation.
I believe that was the conclusion that was reached and too be fair it was very early on in the process. But I defer fully to the medical professionals on the Yard. My commentary was anecdotal.

EDIT:
Some quick research shows that apparently this was a wide spread concern in the medical community (consistent with my experience), the reason behind it, and confirms debunks the concern.

Why COVID Vaccines are Falsely Linked to Infertility
Across the country, significant numbers of health care workers have balked at getting the new vaccines.
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said in a recent briefing that 60% of Ohio’s nursing home staffers had declined their shots. In Georgia, an infection prevention nurse who coordinates COVID vaccines for the 30,000 employees in her health system said that so far, fewer than 33% had gotten the shot. The rest had decided to “wait and see.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What really cracks me up is the paranoia people have about the ingredients of vacinnes (not just the covid one), thinking a miniscule amount of some chemical in a vacinne is going to be toxic or cause some kind of chronic condition. Formaldehyde? Do you smoke or live in a house with plywood? Aluminum? Do you use underarm deodorant? Even mercury you are naturally exposed to more than what might be in a vacinne. People just don't realize the kind of exposure to chemicals they get every day. I'm not saying that the daily exposure is going to do any substantial harm, but vacinne ingredients should be the last of your concerns.

I know this isn't what the concern is regarding fertility, but it just another example of the stupidity. But regarding the fertility question, if the immune response were to attack the placenta because of the similar proteins as covid, then a natural covid infection would do the same thing, and we be screwed anyway.

CL82

Reaction Score
But regarding the fertility question, if the immune response were to attack the placenta because of the similar proteins as covid, then a natural covid infection would do the same thing, and we be screwed anyway.
This was the conclusion that the separate groups that I spoke with came to.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Question for people who had the second mRNA shot and who became ill. How long did that take to affect you? I get my shot around 9:20 tomorrow and have to drive somewhere (for a Covid test of all things) at 1:30. I'm hoping I'm not feverish and out of it.

Reaction Score
Question for people who had the second mRNA shot and who became ill. How long did that take to affect you? I get my shot around 9:20 tomorrow and have to drive somewhere (for a Covid test of all things) at 1:30. I'm hoping I'm not feverish and out of it.
You should be fine. Both of my Moderna shots were given before 4 PM and felt no effects until after I first went to bed.

Reaction Score
What really cracks me up is the paranoia people have about the ingredients of vacinnes (not just the covid one), thinking a miniscule amount of some chemical in a vacinne is going to be toxic or cause some kind of chronic condition. Formaldehyde? Do you smoke or live in a house with plywood? Aluminum? Do you use underarm deodorant? Even mercury you are naturally exposed to more than what might be in a vacinne. People just don't realize the kind of exposure to chemicals they get every day. I'm not saying that the daily exposure is going to do any substantial harm, but vacinne ingredients should be the last of your concerns.

I know this isn't what the concern is regarding fertility, but it just another example of the stupidity. But regarding the fertility question, if the immune response were to attack the placenta because of the similar proteins as covid, then a natural covid infection would do the same thing, and we be screwed anyway.
FYI, now the rumors are out there that someone who is just vaccinated can shed their "proteins" on to other women and make them infertile. There are businesses and schools banning vaccinated people from going near women! Certainly feels like people have been watching a lot of Handmaid's Tale.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
FYI, now the rumors are out there that someone who is just vaccinated can shed their "proteins" on to other women and make them infertile. There are businesses and schools banning vaccinated people from going near women! Certainly feels like people have been watching a lot of Handmaid's Tale.

Must. Not. Make. Shedding. Proteins. Joke.

CL82

Reaction Score
FWIW, I had my shot at 11:45. At around 7 PM I got cold and felt tired. I threw on a sweatshirt and crawled under a comforter and slept until 9 PM and then I felt fine. Mrs. 82, however, got 48 hours of flu like symptoms.

Reaction Score

I was okay with Moderna's second shot until about 8-10 hours after. Then I started feeling really tired.

Reaction Score
I started feeling minor effects about 3 hours after the shot...but it hit harder after about 8 hours

Reaction Score

I had the shot at 3:30 PM and started feeling it at around 4:00 AM. Me and the couch were one until about 9:30 PM. Fine the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom