COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 15 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, but that's what happens in a free society. People smoke, speed and do all sorts of things that put others at risk every single day. Zero risk is unattainable.

I'm not suggesting that people "shouldn't" get vaccinated - but I'm a realist. And if you are someone that can't be vaccinated and is at risk for COVID - that's a tough situation to be in, but that's just the reality that we live in. You just have to hope enough people get sick or vaccinated and herd immunity happens sooner rather than later. But COVID and its derivations will be here in some form forever.
Thank you. Zero risk is unattainable. But, risk and fear are used as weapons to influence thought and move agendas forward - whether positive or negative. Most people I know are not getting the shot(s) due to the uncovering of the truth - about it. Everyone in a free society (still) is welcome to choose. Freedom is still more important to me - than a insecure person’s mental anguish - resulting from their own fears. Get the facts about this injection - the lies are enormous on all levels.

Reaction Score
The issue is that the more people that choose to develop "natural" immunity, the greater the chance that we end up with a form of the virus that makes the vaccines ineffective. Mutations only happen when there is a host.

So yes, we go back to normal like you say (if not before), but each person that refuses increases the risk that "normal" doesn't last.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Yes, but that's what happens in a free society. People smoke, speed and do all sorts of things that put others at risk every single day. Zero risk is unattainable.

I'm not suggesting that people "shouldn't" get vaccinated - but I'm a realist. And if you are someone that can't be vaccinated and is at risk for COVID - that's a tough situation to be in, but that's just the reality that we live in. You just have to hope enough people get sick or vaccinated and herd immunity happens sooner rather than later. But COVID and its derivations will be here in some form forever.
There's presumably no getting around it becoming endemic. To the other point, though, there's nothing wrong with putting down people who engage in that other risky behavior endangering others so why would this be any different?

Reaction Score
There's presumably no getting around it becoming endemic. To the other point, though, there's nothing wrong with putting down people who engage in that other risky behavior endangering others so why would this be any different?

Because it doesn't accomplish anything. You aren't going to shame an anti-vaxxer into getting the vaccine. You are just picking a fight to make yourself feel better and contribute to the culture war.

If internet shaming worked, we would have solved for world peace by now.

Reactions: CV1
Reaction Score
Because it doesn't accomplish anything. You aren't going to shame an anti-vaxxer into getting the vaccine. You are just picking a fight to make yourself feel better and contribute to the culture war.

If internet shaming worked, we would have solved for world peace by now.
You can't force anyone to take the vaccine and shaming them is stupid but the rest of us want everything open again and a return to our normal lives. You refuse the vaxx cool but don't expect to go to school again, or to the ball game, or on airplanes, or to restaurants and theaters.

Reaction Score
@JustbrewitMan would be your best resource here. My understanding is that the Adenovirus carries DNA, which is converted into mRNA by your cells, which drives the protein and immune response. The mRNA platform kind of skips a step (and mRNA is fragile, hence the freezing). Not sure it works "better", but they can develop and make changes to the vaccine faster. It can be adapted rapidly for the variants.

How mRNA and adenovirus vaccines work - Futurity

So this is my wife's area of expertise. As she's tried to explain to me in very basic terms, the mRNA vaccines duplicate very specific portions of the protein spike. So long as those portions are not modified by the mutation, the vaccine should remain effective. While both vaccines seek to have the immune system recognize the spike, the Adenovirus based vaccines will likely end up being more sensitive to variation, in her opinion, due to the greater amount of the genetic code included in the vaccine.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You can't force anyone to take the vaccine and shaming them is stupid but the rest of us want everything open again and a return to our normal lives. You refuse the vaxx cool but don't expect to go to school again, or to the ball game, or on airplanes, or to restaurants and theaters.
mebbe where u live, but not where we exist.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If-by-Rudyard-Kipling-1.jpg

'if' is the middle word in 'life.' good luck.

Isnt that a song by "Bread"?

"

Reaction Score

I don't think the vaccine passport thing has legs in this country. At least not most of it.

My overarching point is that by the time everyone has had a chance to be vaccinated, we are going to have to just as a society accept some risk and open up. We allow people to smoke, drink, drive, eat garbage food, and people die from it every day. I think sensible closures make sense up until we reach the point where everyone that wants a vaccine has had it. There are tradeoffs for living in a free society.

Friend of mine just went to visit family in China. Took months to set the trip up, then had to fly to LA, quarantine there for 10 days, get a test, get the test accepted by the Chinese embassy in LA, then fly to Beijing, stay in a hotel for 14 days without leaving the room, then wait another 7 days before going to the destination city. And that's for someone with a Chinese passport. Nobody would ever put up with that sort of thing in this country, nor should they.

Everyone has made sacrifices, and I'm sure most of us would have signed up for 600K deaths 12 months ago because we figured it would end up a lot higher. At some point, we need to move forward.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Lol, you live in CT.
u apparently missed my restaurant narrative, here in Connecticut, last december. de minimis, on the ground here, most folks aren't completely wacko, regardless of whatever pronouncement from on high is in the news, tho the further you go coastally west towards that place, the 'on the ground' vibe does get noticeably weirder. too bad for them. on the udder hand, they do seem to be running our way lately.... eg. where we live? bulk salads and such remain in the deli case of many supermarkets ('hey! gimme treequarters palm of the mac salad!') while it seems nonexistent as u hit the supers closer to that place. two weeks back at the fairfield traders joe, the 'gatekeeper' started yellin at us cuz i said 'what's this standing in line outside stuff? never experienced this before.' oh, well. at least the shoprite over on route one, eastshore, Connecticut USA, has peeled those arrows off the floor. progress!
Connecticut - the land of steady habits. they ain't just words.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
u apparently missed my restaurant narrative, here in Connecticut, last december. de minimis, on the ground here, most folks aren't completely wacko, regardless of whatever pronouncement from on high is in the news, tho the further you go coastally west towards that place, the 'on the ground' vibe does get noticeably weirder. too bad for them. on the udder hand, they do seem to be running our way lately.... eg. where we live? bulk salads and such remain in the deli case of many supermarkets ('hey! gimme treequarters palm of the mac salad!') while it seems nonexistent as u hit the supers closer to that place. two weeks back at the fairfield traders joe, the 'gatekeeper' started yellin at us cuz i said 'what's this standing in line outside stuff? never experienced this before.' oh, well. at least the shoprite over on route one, eastshore, Connecticut USA, has peeled those arrows off the floor. progress!

Tom Cruise What GIF

Reaction Score
I don't think the vaccine passport thing has legs in this country. At least not most of it.

My overarching point is that by the time everyone has had a chance to be vaccinated, we are going to have to just as a society accept some risk and open up. We allow people to smoke, drink, drive, eat garbage food, and people die from it every day. I think sensible closures make sense up until we reach the point where everyone that wants a vaccine has had it. There are tradeoffs for living in a free society.

Friend of mine just went to visit family in China. Took months to set the trip up, then had to fly to LA, quarantine there for 10 days, get a test, get the test accepted by the Chinese embassy in LA, then fly to Beijing, stay in a hotel for 14 days without leaving the room, then wait another 7 days before going to the destination city. And that's for someone with a Chinese passport. Nobody would ever put up with that sort of thing in this country, nor should they.

Everyone has made sacrifices, and I'm sure most of us would have signed up for 600K deaths 12 months ago because we figured it would end up a lot higher. At some point, we need to move forward.
I don't see vaccine passports being federally mandated but vaccine passports/vaccine apps will definitely be a thing, they already are a thing and businesses will certainly have the choice in CT. and a bunch of other states as to only allowing vaxxed customers into their businesses and event spaces.

I don't think most people thought it would be a lot higher than 600K deaths, I think most thought it would be lower.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Of course two days after I get the JNJ shot it gets halted and is the lead story on every news site. Feel fine after some cold sweats and body aches although I'm a walking sports injury and age doesn't help so I can't say for sure it's due to the shot.

Why couldn't it be some cool side effect or reaction? Like I become one of the X-Men, or Ron Jeremy from the waist down? It's always a negative reaction with these damn things! ?

Reaction Score
I don't think most people thought it would be a lot higher than 600K deaths, I think most thought it would be lower.
And, again, it's 600K with all the precautions we took. We can look at that as a failure of the government and/or people or the actual power of the virus. Frankly, it's both.

Also, lol at Kipling. Of course.

Reaction Score
Of course two days after I get the JNJ shot it gets halted and is the lead story on every news site. Feel fine after some cold sweats and body aches although I'm a walking sports injury and age doesn't help so I can't say for sure it's due to the shot.

Why couldn't it be some cool side effect or reaction? Like I become one of the X-Men, or Ron Jeremy from the waist down? It's always a negative reaction with these damn things! ?
Doesn‘t sound like u are a woman 18-48....I think you‘ll be ok...or did u miss that part of the story?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Got my first Pfizer today. Heard all your stories about arm pain so I got it in the buttocks. The Walgreens pharmacist thought it was weird when I dropped my pants.

I wish I had thought of asking for a shot in the ass just to see what the nurses reaction would be.

Reaction Score
I don't see vaccine passports being federally mandated but vaccine passports/vaccine apps will definitely be a thing, they already are a thing and businesses will certainly have the choice in CT. and a bunch of other states as to only allowing vaxxed customers into their businesses and event spaces.

You might be right - the average citizen can't math. I thought this was going to be 1-1.5M at the outset.

Businesses might try, but ultimately they want money. Keeping customers out isn't good for business. And I know vaccinated people that still won't go out or come to the office until they see the caseloads drop. The almighty $ will win out in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom