COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 37 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can someone please help me to understand by explaining why Serbia, at one point, had (one of) the highest vaccination rates in Europe and one of the highest in the world

2nd fasted in Europe:

But now this is happening:

"In Europe, Serbia reports highest new COVID-19 cases per million people"

[UR unfurl="true"]https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-...new-covid-19-cases-per-million-people/2379481[/URL]

"Globally, the county placed 4th in terms of new virus cases per million inhabitants over last week, according to Worldometer"

I would like to understand as news like this is worrying to me.

Thanks
First off they have only have administered enough to fully vaccinated 46 % of the population. They also used Pfizer, Astrazeneca, the Rusdian vaccine and the Chinese vaccine. They have now hit a vaccine hesitancy wall.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Hi, thank you. Ya, the govt' website CLAIMS just over 50%

BUT govt stats should be taken with a grain of salt IMO.

So, better to stick with the 42%. Would that not be seen TOO low though, in a country of just 7 million? They have given nearly 6.5 million doses, but I guess that means a lot of foreign people have gotten them. Perhaps they could have focused more on citizens, I don't know.

"
Answering the questions of journalists at the Aviation Academy in Belgrade, Brnabic specified that 50.1 percent of the population, i.e. 2,705,458 adult citizens had been vaccinated, but that it is still far from herd immunity.

"
-What would be considered enough for herd immunity?
I lived in Serbia for three years. Government stats there should be taken with a block of salt...

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So basically COVID breakouts are a menstrual cycle. Just for a longer period.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
So basically COVID breakouts are a menstrual cycle. Just for a longer period.

Sure, but we may be looking at menopause now.

COVID also isn’t going to disappear anytime soon. It will continue to circulate for years, many scientists believe. But the vaccines can transform COVID into a manageable disease, not so different from a flu or common cold. In the past few weeks, the country appears to have moved closer to that less-grim future.

Whatever the next few months bring, the worst of the pandemic is almost certainly behind us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

COVID also isn’t going to disappear anytime soon. It will continue to circulate for years, many scientists believe. But the vaccines can transform COVID into a manageable disease, not so different from a flu or common cold. In the past few weeks, the country appears to have moved closer to that less-grim future.

Whatever the next few months bring, the worst of the pandemic is almost certainly behind us.

I hope everyone knew that was the end game. All the coronaviruses have turned in to a manageable virus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is what many of the researchers outside the U.S. believe. It's why Denmark and Norway removed all restrictions. It will circulate. It will make some people sick. It will kill some people But Influenza also does all those things. If vaccines and new treatments (the Merck drug looks promising) make it manageable, then we need to stop testing people who aren't sick (like college kids and athletes) and just live with it. Those daily "case" counts contribute to mass anxiety. Even New Zealand just gave up on zero-Covid.

Reaction Score
This is what many of the researchers outside the U.S. believe. It's why Denmark and Norway removed all restrictions. It will circulate. It will make some people sick. It will kill some people But Influenza also does all those things. If vaccines and new treatments (the Merck drug looks promising) make it manageable, then we need to stop testing people who aren't sick (like college kids and athletes) and just live with it. Those daily "case" counts contribute to mass anxiety. Even New Zealand just gave up on zero-Covid.
Uhhh, I think you might be missing some context on the Denmark/Norway front. Both have adult vaccination rates around 90%. That’s the big reason why they’ve been able to lift restrictions. If we had those same numbers, we’d almost certainly be in a similar situation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Uhhh, I think you might be missing some context on the Denmark/Norway front. Both have adult vaccination rates around 90%. That’s the big reason why they’ve been able to lift restrictions. If we had those same numbers, we’d almost certainly be in a similar situation.

The adult vaccination rate across the New England states is that high. And it's that high on almost every college campus.

Reaction Score
The adult vaccination rate across the New England states is that high. And it's that high on almost every college campus.
Yes but there are still areas with a massive lag in vaccination rate (I.e. black and conservative/rural communities) that contribute to significant spread. I do think in an ideal world we’d have more localized rules but we’re also in a very different situation where places like NYC need to worry about travelers from the many states that have not taken this seriously, traveling freely. Scandinavia doesn’t have that concern.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I hope everyone knew that was the end game. All the coronaviruses have turned in to a manageable virus.
For everyone who is smart about protecting themselves and the general population. For those who refuse the darwin award is always available.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Travel is fairly open in the EU. Denmark has a border with Germany and Sweden, and is quite close to The Netherlands, Belgium and France. Very short drive or train rides.

I still think our mass testing of vaccinated asymptomatic people is problematic. We won't get to an end of this until we stop that practice. Thought this was a good article on the future. ‘Post-Vax COVID’ Is a New Disease - The Atlantic
Maybe misremembering but I do not believe it is an open border between the scandanavian countries and the rest of the schengen area (it is free within Scandinavia). The reality is if we didn’t have states lagging WAY behind and politicizing a health crisis, we would look much closer to normal. It won’t end until that happens, which is sad because it’s just so incredibly easy. But this is where we are. You can deflect the blame if you want but you know it’s true.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe misremembering but I do not believe it is an open border between the scandanavian countries and the rest of the schengen area (it is free within Scandinavia). The reality is if we didn’t have states lagging WAY behind and politicizing a health crisis, we would look much closer to normal. It won’t end until that happens, which is sad because it’s just so incredibly easy. But this is where we are. You can deflect the blame if you want but you know it’s true.

Early October EU Travel Restrictions Explained - SchengenVisaInfo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278