Courtney Ekmark to Skip Senior Season at St Mary's | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Courtney Ekmark to Skip Senior Season at St Mary's

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
doggydaddy, what's the point of this board if it's not to post your opinion. She we all say we agree with her decision if we don't. That's become the problem in this country. If you say what's on your mind, your being negative or in your words "judgmental". Doing drills is not the same as playing against competition. Who is going to be defending her? Who is she going to be passing to? Who is she going to defend? At some point you need to play the game. How is playing under difficult circumstances not a positive experience? Do you think she's going to play for UConn and not face adversity? The first time she'll face adversity is the first time she screws up in practice. Then she'll know what adversity is about. No freshman is ready for Geno. No freshman.

Not all opinions are equal. Some are contructive, some are insulting, some are analyitic, and some are just downright rude.

I have no problem with saying you don't agree with her and her families obviously well thought out decision. But the comments disparaging the family and this 2014 UConn recruit in my opinion have been insulting and rude. And I think this particular fan site is the wrong place to post like that.

"Dropping out is not a good idea unless Courtney's going to be playing competitive basketball somewhere."

She is not dropping out. It's an insult, whether you think so or not.

"To me this smacks of "Me" and not whats best for "my team", and for the past three years her team was St. Marys HS. Quite frankly Ms Ekmark has abandoned her school and her team because its not going to be a championship team, nor possibly a top team."

"Please spare be the crap about getting in shape and condition."

"What happened to the saying "when the going gets tough, the tough get going"."

"Suppose Ekmark has enough credits to graduate from UConn after her junior year and says that she is going to take off her senior year at UConn to be better prepared for her Pro career. Still agree with the decision."

None of these quotes are what I would call just an opinion. They insult the player and family.

And your Michael Jordan comparison? He was out of basketball for 3 years. THREE. And he still manages to average 26.5, only 1.8 lower than his career average at age 38. Please tell me how this is relevant to this conversation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There is no recruit who wants to succeed at UConn more than Courtney Ekmark. Her father has been her coach for years and he played Division 1 ball at Marquette. I have confidence that they are not making a decision that will in any way hurt her ability to reach her goals. I'll say it again: not playing HS ball in Arizona won't hurt her in any way. The relevant question is what is she going to do what will help her succeed at UConn. Let's wait and see what Courtney spends her senior year doing before we judge the decision. Along these lines, I was impressed with what Courtney had to say after watching UConn up close in New Orleans:

And it gave me another sense of exactly how they [UConn] play. It was very interesting for me to see that in person; how fast the game is played, how physical UConn was.”

To prepare, Ekmark has been focusing tightly on improving her skills and conditioning.

“I have been playing basketball with a lot of guys lately to help me get used to playing faster,” she said. “And I’ve been going to a personal trainer to help me get my body right. I just want to be ready when my time comes.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Seems much ado about nothing. She has already proved she belongs at uconn. Uconn needs an influx of freshmen in 2014-15. In the interim, there is little gained by playing, and there's risk of injury. As long as Eckmark is at Storrs starting the summer of 2014 and she's healthy, I'll be a happy camper.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Hello?! What happened to the value of "socialization" among 16, 17, 18 yr. olds. etc.? I'm not liking this and wonder why??!!
Exactly. I think it's really, really odd. Kids need to be kids even if they are good hoopsters. Never heard of a kid doing this.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Exactly. I think it's really, really odd. Kids need to be kids even if they are good hoopsters. Never heard of a kid doing this.

Good...your world of change, difference, and information has now been augmented. Never too late to experience new stuff.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Good...your world of change, difference, and information has now been augmented. Never too late to experience new stuff.

Nicely done.

My question would be what exactly haven't they seen before? A kid being home schooled? Well, I just looked it up. In 2007, the number of homeschooled students was about 1.5 million, an increase from 850,000 in 1999. So my guess is that it's over 2 million.

So how is this odd? That she is just doing it her senior year? Well, I would have to believe out of the 2 million being home schools, a few thousand or more did it just their senior year.

Maybe it's nitpicking on my part, but the use of the words odd or weird has a negative flavor to it that the word unusual doesn't have.

And the socialization? Do you know that she has totally ditched her HS friends? Is she not seeing them after school hours? Weekends? Can't she still go to the prom with a male student there?

She is very serious about starting her freshman year in the best possible condition, stronger and faster.

I agree that this is something different. And experimental in some regard. But in preparing her for her freshman year of basketball? I don't see how this is a bad thing.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
MoJeff was home schooled. Doesn't seem to have impacted her bb or social skills one iota.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
MoJeff was home schooled. Doesn't seem to have impacted her bb or social skills one iota.

No, but, I think she had access to way too much coffee - jittery quickness, and stunted growth? World's fastest 8th-grader? I'm thinking she had an expresso machine on her kitchen counter!:cool:

Reaction Score

I really, really don't understand why everyone is so concerned about her social life. When did every skilled athlete in the world become an extrovert? Maybe she likes spending Friday nights at home with a book. Some kids are like that.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
According to her FATHER (who gets a vote and we don't), she will also be doing internships at a law firm and a hospital. And possibly doing some broadcast work for Friday night football games. Sounds like a young womena who wants to get some real world experience so she can maximize her college education by finding out what interests her the most. This is no more odd than a kid doing a gap year like my niece did when she worked for City Year in Boston before going off to U of Iowa. This "village" doesn't get to raise this child - her parents do, until she gets to UConn and CD takes over.

Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson played the entire time she was home schooled. As for the Michael Jordan comparison, he was the greatest player in the world when he took time off. To compare Courtney to the greatest individual player ever is ludicrous. He was able to post his number because of his superior talent. Courtney is not in any way shape or form that talented and if she does not play competitively it will set her back. That's my opinion and I don't really care what anyone thinks of it. Maybe we should all just say nice things and then there will be nothing to debate. People have taken a year off and couldn't come back, professional athletes. This will slow her progress. As for H.S. not being like UConn, no it won't be. Being double and tripled teamed won't be like playing with a team of D1 recruits. The number one recruit last year struggled for the entire year only to emerge during the tournament. So maybe the apt comparison is that Courtney is no Breanna Stewart. That's not a condemnation of Courtney. However, if the number one recruit struggled, and mightily at times, how is Courtney going to be helped by not playing competitively for a year?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, she just won't play from November to February. I bet she plays on an AAU team through the Spring until she goes to UConn. I doubt this decision was made in a vacuum. I'm sure Geno & Co know about it and approved it. I know it's a slow period for basketball, but we should probably all calm down :)

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I don't like the decision.
To me this smacks of "Me" and not whats best for "my team", and for the past three years her team was St. Marys HS. Quite frankly Ms Ekmark has abandoned her school and her team because its not going to be a championship team, nor possibly a top team.
Please spare be the crap about getting in shape and condition. She will have plenty of time to get into better condition, if that's what she wants or needs. Plus, there is more than just being in condition than lifting weights and what ever else she will do. How about the challenge to overcome adversity by finding a way to make your team better, and yourself better. How about finding a way to move the ball on the court when you might be the target or double teamed next season when there aren't anymore future D1 players on your HS team. Its a giant step from HS to college and not every player is cut out to do it. It is even a bigger step from HS to UConn's level. She is going to make the move off of a year off from "game competition" but with some extra arm strength from lifting weights?
I have seen kids, and also coaches, in HS transfer schools because all they want is to be on a winner, or coach a winner, instead making do with what you have. Its not like one more year of HS ball is going to kill her. Plus as a previous poster mentioned you do miss out on social events that are part of a HS students life. You don't get those back.
I wish her all the best and nothing but success at UConn but IMO this decision sucks.

How about not believing that playing basketball is the only thing she should be thinking about?

Interning in a field that interests her as a career certainly deserves at least equal billing.

The home-schooled kids I know are pretty well socialized. Perhaps better than high-school attendees because they weren't part of the clique action that's endemic to large teenage populations. Instead they participated in after-school activities that interested them, where they had a healthy interest in common with those others who participated.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Yes Caldwell's decision was also wrong, IMO. There was also a lot more to the Caldwell decision that is mentioned in any article.
Would the posters on this forum thinks it a good move for Ekmark had she been going to UT, ND, UNC, Duke, Louisville, etc.?
What happened to the saying "when the going gets tough, the tough get going".
Suppose Ekmark has enough credits to graduate from UConn after her junior year and says that she is going to take off her senior year at UConn to be better prepared for her Pro career. Still agree with the decision.

Your priorities are quite obviously not Courtney's priorities. Yet, her priorities to date (which you know almost nothing about) have made her one of the best young basketball players in the land.

Stop pretending you know what's best for her. Or anyone else, for that matter.

The only thing that seems certain here is that you'd feel better if Courtney had decided on a different course.

Reaction Score
There are many options in life a person might take ... there are no rules for an individual life ... what I pick up on by statements made by Courtney and her father is an open positiveness about Courtney's future life, be it basketball or any of the other endeavor she will be taking on in the upcoming year and beyond ... how wonderful ... I am looking forward to observing the growth Courtney makes ... new energy in the UConn family ... all is well ...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson played the entire time she was home schooled. As for the Michael Jordan comparison, he was the greatest player in the world when he took time off. To compare Courtney to the greatest individual player ever is ludicrous. He was able to post his number because of his superior talent. Courtney is not in any way shape or form that talented and if she does not play competitively it will set her back. That's my opinion and I don't really care what anyone thinks of it. Maybe we should all just say nice things and then there will be nothing to debate. People have taken a year off and couldn't come back, professional athletes. This will slow her progress. As for H.S. not being like UConn, no it won't be. Being double and tripled teamed won't be like playing with a team of D1 recruits. The number one recruit last year struggled for the entire year only to emerge during the tournament. So maybe the apt comparison is that Courtney is no Breanna Stewart. That's not a condemnation of Courtney. However, if the number one recruit struggled, and mightily at times, how is Courtney going to be helped by not playing competitively for a year?

You brought in the Michael Jordan comparison. I still don't understand why. I agree, to compare them is ludicrous. Why did you do it?

Players get injured all the time and miss significant time. And it doesn't take long for them to get back up to speed. And those were coming back from injuries.

I'm still waiting to hear how competitive Arizona HS basketball is. How will playing at that level, when she is clearly the best player, help her?

Again, no one is saying you shouldn't state your opinion. And no one said everyone should say only nice things. All I'm saying is that there were a few comments I would think the Ekmarks would find insulting, some by you. Those are uncalled for.

It might hurt her. It might not. But there is no reason for the insulting comments I pointed out.

And clearly you don't care what others think of you. Good for you.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Nicely done.

My question would be what exactly haven't they seen before? A kid being home schooled? Well, I just looked it up. In 2007, the number of homeschooled students was about 1.5 million, an increase from 850,000 in 1999. So my guess is that it's over 2 million.

So how is this odd? That she is just doing it her senior year? Well, I would have to believe out of the 2 million being home schools, a few thousand or more did it just their senior year.

Maybe it's nitpicking on my part, but the use of the words odd or weird has a negative flavor to it that the word unusual doesn't have.

And the socialization? Do you know that she has totally ditched her HS friends? Is she not seeing them after school hours? Weekends? Can't she still go to the prom with a male student there?

She is very serious about starting her freshman year in the best possible condition, stronger and faster.

I agree that this is something different. And experimental in some regard. But in preparing her for her freshman year of basketball? I don't see how this is a bad thing.

No, not that they decided to home school her. That they decided to home school her and not have her play her senior season of basketball. The combination seems odd to me and apparently to lots of others. I can't think of another kid who has ever done this so, at least in the sense that it has never happened, it is odd.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
No, not that they decided to home school her. That they decided to home school her and not have her play her senior season of basketball. The combination seems odd to me and apparently to lots of others. I can't think of another kid who has ever done this so, at least in the sense that it has never happened, it is odd.

Maybe so, but I could care less about "others". I put my trust in her and her family...not you or "others". I think it odd that you would take the time to call it odd twice.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Maybe so, but I could care less about "others". I put my trust in her and her family...not you or "others". I think it odd that you would take the time to call it odd twice.

I called it odd once and then clarified why when another poster misinterpreted what I said. From here on out I will post not longer on the subject. God forbid the yard be used as a sounding board or differing points of view.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes, it's unusual. And we'll thought out reasons why without insulting the family is cool.

I pointed out the quotes I thought were insulting. You're ok with them?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I called it odd once and then clarified why when another poster misinterpreted what I said. From here on out I will post not longer on the subject. God forbid the yard be used as a sounding board or differing points of view.

We do have different points of view, and we both posted them. That's that. Such is what happens on a message board. Who said it was any other way? Post what you want to post, but we are all responsible for our words.

Reaction Score
Speaking of doing things outside the box, thought this would be an opportune moment to quote my own earlier post for the first time ever (see final paragraph below). In addition, and also in line with the aim of that post to help opposite sides take a breath and accepts one another's differing views without undo acrimony, I'd like to call attention to the three good and detailed blogs on the horde Blog. Three different writers, one chiming in today and two on the 20th. These seem quite well done and might help folks get a clearer understanding of the thinking involved on the part of the family.

In addition, not that I would ever be one to stir the pot ;);) (in addition to calming the waters), just a couple of observations/questions on some of the recent postings on this thread. 1. Is it conceivable that posters sometimes disparage/insult other posters while criticizing disparagement/insults? 2. Is it possible that some of what has transpired in this thread, and others, is reflective of a larger (and , I believe, very unfortunate trend in today's society), tendency for many to very quickly label those having a different viewpoint as "bad people" in one way or another? 3. A tip of the cap to those who stand in there without backing down against the shellacings dealt by the majority .

Original post, which was in response to PAP pointing out, in essence, that the Eckmark family seems thoughtful, mature, solid (not an exact quote):

PAP - yes...reminds me a bit of what we read about the Calhoun family. At the same time, I understand the differing opinions about this, as it is a rather unusual move, and many get unsettled by that which seems unusual or outside the box. From my vantage point, it is the family's business.....though certainly interesting fodder for a sports board.

Reaction Score
doggydaddy, so if posts agree with your view you appreciate what the poster said. If not then you attack what the poster said. How is Courtney withdrew from school because you can't transfer to home school. It doesn't work that way. It was not an insult, but since you deemed it an insult it is. You have no idea what an attack is. In 2004 I was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer: Glioblastoma Multiforme Astrocytoma. The surgeon, one of the best neuro surgeons in the world, told me I had at most 12 months to live. When I went back to work I was told by someone that I was the ugliest thing he had ever seen. That he would be embarrassed to go out in public if he looked like me. That I should have just stayed home and not shown my face. That's an attack. The fact that you're in judgement of other people's opinions proves that you don't know what an opinion is, or an attack, or trashing someone, but since you know it all we should all defer to you. If you'd like I'll post my surgeon's name and where he's working. Insulting. Your superior attitude is insulting.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You have a lot of issues, Chris. Sorry you have gone through so much.

Good luck in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom