Courant's Pay Wall is Ridiculous | The Boneyard

Courant's Pay Wall is Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seriously, is anyone here paying $125/yr to read the Courant online?
If I were a Courant advertiser, I don't think I'd be happy.

Reaction Score
I found a way around it ...in a way. I have google alerts email me whenever anyone from uconn comes into the news i.e. khalid el-amin dan cyruliak etc. I had an email alert earlier today which was an article with cyruliak in it regarding gampel pavillion. I read the whole article through the link that was sent to my email. When i wanted to share it here on the boneyard i found that it is a blocked article and i was unable to view it outside of my email. I have google alerts sent to me regarding many past uconn players

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I noticed in the past few days that they have become much more restrictive about what you can access for free now. You can get around it by accessing articles through a google search, but you have to know what you're looking for. I don't like the paper--especially not the shadow of itself that it has become--and wouldn't pay for it myself. But we may need to buy a subscription for work now, as we frequently need to read the articles about things in which we are involved.

Reaction Score
I found a way around it ...in a way. I have google alerts email me whenever anyone from uconn comes into the news i.e. khalid el-amin dan cyruliak etc. I had an email alert earlier today which was an article with cyruliak in it regarding gampel pavillion. I read the whole article through the link that was sent to my email. When i wanted to share it here on the boneyard i found that it is a blocked article and i was unable to view it outside of my email. I have google alerts sent to me regarding many past uconn players
If you know the title of the article you want, you can also google it and it will take you right around the pay wall. Most news sites are generally like this in my experience.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks for the post, reminded me to cancel the paper they've been giving me for free.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Nobody in this thread can ever complain about UCONN sports coverage going forward.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If you know the title of the article you want, you can also google it and it will take you right around the pay wall. Most news sites are generally like this in my experience.
or refresh it and stop it before it pops back up

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's so irritating that people won't just cover the news for free. What's wrong with them!?

It's like they want to cover the news AND earn a living.
I don't begrudge a guy running an NYC hot dog cart, selling me a hot dog for a couple bucks but I'd probably comment if he was charging $50 for one (especially if plenty there were free hot dogs available right next to his cart that were just as good).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But if he promised to give you a hotdog every day for a year for $125, you might consider it a deal.

Thirty-five cents a day for a newspaper subscription? Doesn't sound out of line to me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's so irritating that people won't just cover the news for free. What's wrong with them!?

It's like they want to cover the news AND earn a living.
Paid for a daily Courant home delivery subscription and read it with interest for many, many years. As with most print media, the quality of the product started to drop precipitously several years ago, and then my outrage over Jeff Jacobs' steady stream of trash made me cancel it the first time. The New Haven Register turned out to be ridiculously expensive (for lower quality than the Courant) and the delivery guy was unable to get it to my house early enough to make it worth it for me, so I took advantage of a Courant promotion and gave it another chance for a couple years. When it became largely content-free I dropped it because I could get the few articles of interest to me each month on the internet for free.

I now pay for a NYT weekend subscription, which gives me full digital access 24/7 (except the damned crossword answers, which are a separate premium, grrrr). I check the Register on-line first thing every morning to see if there is anything of interest to me (maybe once a week), and then I read all the UConn Men's articles linked here.

The Courant does not presently have a subscription option that I would value personally, but I think we've now decided that it may make sense for work.

Reaction Score
But if he promised to give you a hotdog every day for a year for $125, you might consider it a deal.

Thirty-five cents a day for a newspaper subscription? Doesn't sound out of line to me.
In this hypothetical world, where the same quality hot dogs are still available just as easily for free, I still wouldn't consider it a deal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't live in Connecticut so I don't know how the free alternatives stack up.

Generally, though, the alternatives are not great.

I subscribe to the New York Times which has a bewildering tier of digital subscriptions based on what you're using to read it.

It's $250 a year. Is there a good, free alternative to the Times? No.

For less than a buck a day, it's a steal.

Reaction Score
The Times offers educators online subscription for $10 a month. I think there are other categories for discounts. I have a thurs through Sun subscription to the Courant and with that online access, it's a pretty cheap way to get it. The Sunday paper coupons probably make the paper free.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't live in Connecticut so I don't know how the free alternatives stack up.

Generally, though, the alternatives are not great.

I subscribe to the New York Times which has a bewildering tier of digital subscriptions based on what you're using to read it.

It's $250 a year. Is there a good, free alternative to the Times? No.

For less than a buck a day, it's a steal.
I think you can get access across all devices with any level of home delivery, which I'm pretty sure is less expensive than that. I'll see what I pay for mine--or are they different depending on where you live?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Wouldn't consider it until they fix the upload speed of the darn thing. It's the worst designed news site ever.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you can get access across all devices with any level of home delivery, which I'm pretty sure is less expensive than that. I'll see what I pay for mine--or are they different depending on where you live?

You are right and I have just changed my subscription.

Now, for less money, they have to drive their asses to my house five days a week to bring me paper that I will not open.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
The Courant is a rag, and their sports section just rips off bloggers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You are right and I have just changed my subscription.

Now, for less money, they have to drive their asses to my house five days a week to bring me paper that I will not open.

Thanks.
No problem. Glad it helped save a few bucks. And the NYT doesn't care if you open the paper or not--they just want to increase their subscription numbers for their print advertisers. That's why they make it less expensive when you add any level of home delivery. I just get Saturday and Sunday delivered, and one of the things I like is that you get the guts of the Sunday paper (most of the special sections) delivered on Saturday. I never get through all of it, but reading even just a couple articles usually provides more journalistic depth and insight than I get elsewhere on any issue. Our recycling comes every other week and if I haven't gotten to it by then, it goes.

Even if you don't read it, it is handy as a fire starter. And I have also found it to be an effective prop if I want to discourage conversation with people sitting next to me at weekend sporting activities and other kids' events.

Reaction Score
"And I have also found it to be an effective prop if I want to discourage conversation with people sitting next to me at weekend sporting activities and other kids' events."

This is funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul