Courant: UConn better off in the Big East | The Boneyard

Courant: UConn better off in the Big East

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
An unexpected benefit - SNY instead of ESPN+. SNY > the other guys, aka the arrogant bastards that only saw UConn as some other team to squeeze into their schedule in online Siberia

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like this challenge from Geno. :D

“It can’t be nostalgic because the other league does not exist the way it was when we left,” Auriemma said. “It’s like saying you’re moving back to your hometown, but the block that you lived on and half the city is gone. It’s not the same. So I don’t know that it’s as much about nostalgia, although our fans have been screaming for six years that we need to be in the Big East. So if this does happen, there better be 16,000 at the XL Center every night.”

Reaction Score
An unexpected benefit - SNY instead of ESPN+. SNY > the other guys, aka the arrogant bastards that only saw UConn as some other team to squeeze into their schedule in online Siberia

Finally! Basketball not Football (which it always did at UConn) rules the day. Finally Uconn admits it isn't a Football controlled school. It would be nice if FB was more important but facts are facts. Doug and Lou and we shall see more of them. 2 fun guys.
Geno is right the old hometown aint the old hometown no longer. More competitive?? You bet! Sisters Bertha and Mary Conrad will be pleased.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I took notice of this quote:

"Still, Auriemma is said to be strongly in favor of the move and even worked tirelessly to help make it come to fruition. Why? Because it makes sense for the university. "

Reaction Score
I share the feeling that whatever is best for UConn's women's team is good. Football has not been much celebrated by the Huskies; it has been a second-tier program. But lacking a really good football team can affect recruiting for other sports. The total sports atmosphere at other schools--ND, Baylor, Oregon, etc.--appeals to many as requisites for an exciting college experience. W/out the bustle of fall football, something is missing. For some recruits, this is probably a consideration. I'm sure this supposition is not quantified, but if you're from Texas, for example, and you don't go to a school with a football tradition, you are likely to feel that something essential is absent.

Reaction Score

I know the reason why UConn didn't like the move to ESPN + but I wouldn't consider ESPN+ to be an online Siberia. I think streaming services are to cable as cable is to broadcast television and I'm no fan of all streaming services because I believe some companies are stretch themselves too thin by having them. I wouldn't be surprised if the national title games are going to be shown on exclusively on ESPN+ within the next 10-15 years.

Reaction Score
Since UConn is never getting invited to a P5 and football will always be the reason why and will never be acceptable here the move to the NBE is the right one. In addition to sny and maybe more importantly think of all the LESS wear and tear on our girls bodies from not having to travel around the country to beat the hell out of teams and can have a more local travel schedule.

Reaction Score
It has come a time where UCONN and it's fans have to admit that Football doesn't run the Athletic Dept. and was holding the rest of the sports back from reaching a better solution for all involved!
The football program will be better off in a smaller conference somewhere that doesn't expect it to recruit vs big conference schools that FB is their bell-weather money maker!
Anyone thinking a P5 FB invitation was right around the corner is misguided!
It was fish or cut bait time and the talking suits made a smart move!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know the reason why UConn didn't like the move to ESPN + but I wouldn't consider ESPN+ to be an online Siberia. I think streaming services are to cable as cable is to broadcast television and I'm no fan of all streaming services because I believe some companies are stretch themselves too thin by having them. I wouldn't be surprised if the national title games are going to be shown on exclusively on ESPN+ within the next 10-15 years.
You’re probably not an 80 year old with limited technical knowledge

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you root for any program at this university, never stop hoping and praying that the football program figures it out and succeeds.

You can win four men's titles and 11 women's titles and absolutely be left out in the cold if and when the P5 decides that they're not taking enough slices of the NCAA tourney/college hoop pie.

Pray for football. Light candles. Sell souls - whatever.

Reaction Score
If you root for any program at this university, never stop hoping and praying that the football program figures it out and succeeds.

You can win four men's titles and 11 women's titles and absolutely be left out in the cold if and when the P5 decides that they're not taking enough slices of the NCAA tourney/college hoop pie.

Pray for football. Light candles. Sell souls - whatever.

This is a valid point - it is a legitimate fear. I have read that when the NCAA Division I schools (351 of them now per Wikipedia) vote on issues, they may resent the 65 P5 schools but most of them vote to approve P5 initiatives (like giving more money to student athletes and allowing the Big 12 to hold a conference game when they have only 10 members) so as not to anger them. The fear is that the P5 could break away from the NCAA and form their own BB tournament and leave the other schools out. Keep in mind that the NCAA was once in charge of bowl game money too until the big schools broke free, resulting in that 1984 lawsuit by Oklahoma and Georgia against the NCAA that got approved by the U.S. Supreme Court. The crazy (like a fox in the henhouse) subsequent scramble for TV money then led to all that conference realignment and destroyed famous rivalries like Nebraska-Oklahoma (1971 "Game of the Century") and Texas-Arkansas (1969 "Game of the Century"). Anyone here remember the Big 8 or the Southwest Conference?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Finally! Basketball not Football (which it always did at UConn) rules the day. Finally Uconn admits it isn't a Football controlled school.

Only people not associated with UCONN knew this. UCONN was like the little kid who wanted to play with the big kids. How many wasted taxpayers' millions of $$$$ did it take to figure this out?

Reaction Score
I took notice of this quote:

"Still, Auriemma is said to be strongly in favor of the move and even worked tirelessly to help make it come to fruition. Why? Because it makes sense for the university. "
The circular arguments about Uconn should or should not join the NBE are silly, juvenile the move is made and Geno wants it, so do I. Is it good? Is it bad ? Does it matter? It's a done deal..

Reaction Score
Since UConn is never getting invited to a P5 and football will always be the reason why and will never be acceptable here the move to the NBE is the right one. In addition to sny and maybe more importantly think of all the LESS wear and tear on our girls bodies from not having to travel around the country to beat the hell out of teams and can have a more local travel schedule.
Nope, now we can just beat the hell out of teams right around here. When the conference winning streak is 240-0 we can argue on the Boneyard whether that’s one streak, or if it needs to be slit up into an AAC streak and a BE streak.

Seriously though, I really think that with UConn’s RPI, and hopefully that “pulling the whole conference up” effect, soon the BE could be a higher-rated WBB conference than one of the P5. B1G? Big 12?

Reaction Score
Nope, now we can just beat the hell out of teams right around here. When the conference winning streak is 240-0 we can argue on the Boneyard whether that’s one streak, or if it needs to be slit up into an AAC streak and a BE streak.

Seriously though, I really think that with UConn’s RPI, and hopefully that “pulling the whole conference up” effect, soon the BE could be a higher-rated WBB conference than one of the P5. B1G? Big 12?
I too hope that UConn can help the BE surpass one of the P5 Conferences. Xavier, who was one of the lowest RPI BE teams last year, appears to be on the rise with their new HC. Added Shaulana Wagner who had Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue offers, and a wing who had multiple ACC offers.

Marquette loses a LOT, so their future in a sense remains to be seen, but DePaul is almost always going to be DePaul.

Reaction Score
I share the feeling that whatever is best for UConn's women's team is good. Football has not been much celebrated by the Huskies; it has been a second-tier program. But lacking a really good football team can affect recruiting for other sports. The total sports atmosphere at other schools--ND, Baylor, Oregon, etc.--appeals to many as requisites for an exciting college experience. W/out the bustle of fall football, something is missing. For some recruits, this is probably a consideration. I'm sure this supposition is not quantified, but if you're from Texas, for example, and you don't go to a school with a football tradition, you are likely to feel that something essential is absent.
If you play WOMEN"S Basketball and want to play at a high level for the (acknowledged) best WBB coach in the land why would "other sports" be so important to you. If you MUST have football or soccer or water polo--go to the school that has it. Then you will miss out on adding to the NC's or FF's at UConn and wearing two hands full of rings. If that isn't what you want--accept Mulkey's offer--she's a nice lady, regardless of what you may read about her.
Pays your money takes your choice. Uconn is for Basketball---if a recruit comes to watch football--big mistake.

Reaction Score
If you play WOMEN"S Basketball and want to play at a high level for the (acknowledged) best WBB coach in the land why would "other sports" be so important to you. If you MUST have football or soccer or water polo--go to the school that has it. Then you will miss out on adding to the NC's or FF's at UConn and wearing two hands full of rings. If that isn't what you want--accept Mulkey's offer--she's a nice lady, regardless of what you may read about her.
Pays your money takes your choice. Uconn is for Basketball---if a recruit comes to watch football--big mistake.
It's like those that hype Stanford and other so called "top academic" schools. (I suppose that's true if you ask the Hollywood crowd) Academically Uconn is excellent for what they do and who they produce and the future opportunities you may be offered. A dedicated student in any field shall go academically and professionally as he/she chooses to do. That may mean go beyond Uconn, Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Cal Tech, etc--they are not the WORLD, they are only the beginning. Accept that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom