Courant Article on Mentoring | The Boneyard

Courant Article on Mentoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...n-new-haven-5-things-1109-20151108-story.html

I'm very interested to see how a certain contingent of the board reacts to Brimah being placed in charge of mentoring a raw freshman big man...

That's kind of a needlessly provocative comment. He's not being asked to coach the kid - it's a mentoring program. (It's kind of like my daughter's elementary school - the little kids are assigned a big buddy from the upper house. Amida is Steve's big buddy. A really tall big buddy.)

"Sterling [Gibbs] is Jalen's mentor, and Amida [Brimah] is Steve's mentor, and we really value that, guys spending time with each other. We've got different point systems where we evaluate it. They're just taking those guys to the side, showing them how to be professionals on and off the basketball court."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That's kind of a needlessly provocative comment. He's not being asked to coach the kid - it's a mentoring program. (It's kind of like my daughter's elementary school - the little kids are assigned a big buddy from the upper house. Amida is Steve's big buddy. A really tall big buddy.)

"Sterling [Gibbs] is Jalen's mentor, and Amida [Brimah] is Steve's mentor, and we really value that, guys spending time with each other. We've got different point systems where we evaluate it. They're just taking those guys to the side, showing them how to be professionals on and off the basketball court."

I agree that at the core it seems that way, but there's also this:

For Enoch, 18, having Brimah, 21, as a mentor means countless hours in the gym together — and no nonsense.

"Amida has told me about the good things I do, also about the mistakes I make," Enoch said. "He'll address me on it. He doesn't beat around the bush about anything. He's a straightforward person, and he cares."

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I know you're reaching out to me Stair and I will say this - "scary" I am sure he's a great big buddy and he is a solid citizen with great passion, but after that - yikes! Just hoping Steve returns the favor and teaches him how to finish.
This is no knock on AB, and mentoring is admirable, but there are some things that can't be mentored like like Enoch's hands and his strong frame. But I'm on board with KO's concept of the younger players getting direction, and most importantly advice on how not to get into hot water off the court.

Reaction Score
I agree that at the core it seems that way, but there's also this:

For Enoch, 18, having Brimah, 21, as a mentor means countless hours in the gym together — and no nonsense.

Spending countless hours in the gym together simply means staying out of trouble, not coaching the kid. They call it 'putting in work'. If Amida does his assignment well, it could somewhat suck for Enoch. LOL

Remember sometimes there are behavioral problems associated with idle time for young kids adults.

Reaction Score
This is being re-hashed in many different posts, but can we please pump the brakes on the nonsense of Enoch starting over Brimah?

It's not going to happen and should not happen. The way Brimah anchors the defense and gets the guys out in transition is second to none. Enoch has a more versatile offensive game than Brimah, but the defense and experience factor alone separates the two of them, and it's not even close.

Enoch is far head of schedule from where I thought he'd be now, and I think he will contribute. But it will be in the 10-15 minute a game category, not as a starter, or finisher in crunch time.

Reaction Score
There's a lot that Brimah can teach him. Plus it think that Brimah will be that much more focused since he'll be setting an example. It's a good thing.
This is a really good point. Sometimes the mentor gets more out of it than the mentee.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Because all good coaches were the best players at their positions. Said no one ever.

Reaction Score
Because all good coaches were the best players at their positions. Said no one ever.

Eh, this doesn't quite apply here (though I agree with the overwhelming majority of replyees who say that this mentoring thing doesn't really mean anything basketball-wise).

The guys who were mediocre players but great coaches are usually the ones with a high basketball IQ but limited physical gifts. Brimah is in the opposite situation.

Again, I don't think this mentorship thing has anything to do with basketball coaching, so we shouldn't waste our time discussing it. But this isn't the right argument to dismiss the issue.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The guys who were mediocre players but great coaches are usually the ones with a high basketball IQ but limited physical gifts. Brimah is in the opposite situation.

See, I've never bought into the idea that Brimah doesn't know WHAT to do. The problem lies in the DOING of it.

BBIQ implies something other than simply knowing exactly what to do. It's about having the instincts, honed through repetition, experience and time, to do the right thing at the right time at high speed, within the flow of the game.

Brimah's by all accounts a very smart guy, and I've no doubt he's picked up on what he needs to do, and could communicate that to others, but the problem is him applying it in the flow of the game.

I agree w the rest of your post though.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Why does every thread here have to turn into a Brimah debate? .

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
lol this board can turn such a positive thing into the biggest bs circlejerk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads