Courant article on Mamadou Diarra | The Boneyard

Courant article on Mamadou Diarra

Reaction Score
Can't help but feel for the kid. I hope the coaching thing works out for him.

“I spoke to the coaches. I spoke to my family,” Diarra says, “and I wasn’t myself anymore in terms of basketball. So when it came to an opportunity where I could get into coaching, start my career and stay here with my team, I thought it would be a good opportunity. Because of all the people around me, I wanted to be here even more. The fact they wanted to help me through my tough times was just a blessing.”

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Really proud of how he has handled this, and I'm proud of how UConn has as well. I hope he goes on to tremendous success in coaching. Would love to see him back here again on the bench as a coach.

Reaction Score
Now this is good stuff, hope MD finds his way through basketball. He seems to love it and UConn as well.

Reaction Score
Competitive BB or any sport for that matter always comes to and end .
Even the luckiest and most talented are through by age 40.
It’s always difficult when something you did as a kid and dreamed of doing forever comes to a sudden stop. MD got or will get to parley that sport into a four year degree and also get a start on a potential new path.
99% percent of those that pursue the dream don’t achieve that.
If I where him I would dwell on those positives.

Reaction Score
My second post ever was about Mamadou at the Mary Kline Classic All Star game. It's too bad we never got to see in a UConn uniform what I saw at that game, but I am also very happy about the way the University is treating him, and for the opportunity he has to contribute.

Here's that post from May 31, 2015, in response to someone's question whether anyone attended the game.

Was there. Disappointed that Jalen was a no show, but really excited about Mamadou Diarra. Mamadou attacks the rim like he wants to tear it from the backboard whether on put-backs or after finding that open space near the hoop (no such thing as a soft lay-up in his game). He also uses the pick and roll very well to free his guards, and put himself in good position for a throw-down. Also played some decent defense on a larger opponent, and swatted a few shots.

Steve Enoch has a nice game, but to me, seemed to play with varying levels of intensity, and less court awareness than I would have liked to see. That may be the nature of an all-star game, but there were others, like Chris Clarke, whose motor was always running at high rpm. In the 3-point shooting contest, Steve went 3 of 15.

Bruce Brown is a stud. Smooth and powerful. Nice outside shot, and gets to the rim with regularity. His team didn't seem to be looking for him, but when he got the ball, he almost always scored or had a nice assist.

The ones that got away - Prince Ali was virtually unstoppable: 3-point, mid-range, get to the rim. Also made some nice assists when he looked up. Derrick Jones is an incredible leaper with a very good 3-point shot. Derrick leapt over 4 6'8" or taller guys and threw down in the dunk contest (which he won). Prince and Derrick were the MVPs for their respective teams in the Senior Game.

Reaction Score
My second post ever was about Mamadou at the Mary Kline Classic All Star game. It's too bad we never got to see in a UConn uniform what I saw at that game, but I am also very happy about the way the University is treating him, and for the opportunity he has to contribute.

Here's that post from May 31, 2015, in response to someone's question whether anyone attended the game.

Was there. Disappointed that Jalen was a no show, but really excited about Mamadou Diarra. Mamadou attacks the rim like he wants to tear it from the backboard whether on put-backs or after finding that open space near the hoop (no such thing as a soft lay-up in his game). He also uses the pick and roll very well to free his guards, and put himself in good position for a throw-down. Also played some decent defense on a larger opponent, and swatted a few shots.

Steve Enoch has a nice game, but to me, seemed to play with varying levels of intensity, and less court awareness than I would have liked to see. That may be the nature of an all-star game, but there were others, like Chris Clarke, whose motor was always running at high rpm. In the 3-point shooting contest, Steve went 3 of 15.

Bruce Brown is a stud. Smooth and powerful. Nice outside shot, and gets to the rim with regularity. His team didn't seem to be looking for him, but when he got the ball, he almost always scored or had a nice assist.

The ones that got away - Prince Ali was virtually unstoppable: 3-point, mid-range, get to the rim. Also made some nice assists when he looked up. Derrick Jones is an incredible leaper with a very good 3-point shot. Derrick leapt over 4 6'8" or taller guys and threw down in the dunk contest (which he won). Prince and Derrick were the MVPs for their respective teams in the Senior Game.

Humble brag

Reaction Score

Jalen had a little of what you mentioned. Enoch had a lot of what you said. Bruce Brown was a stud but what happened? Clarke always loved him in college and he fought through injuries. Ali was ok but should've been better could've been coaching. Jones, where is he?

Good read humble brag LOL

Reaction Score
Jalen had a little of what you mentioned. Enoch had a lot of what you said. Bruce Brown was a stud but what happened? Clarke always loved him in college and he fought through injuries. Ali was ok but should've been better could've been coaching. Jones, where is he?

Good read humble brag LOL
Bruce Brown, Pistons.
Derrick Jones, Heat.

Reaction Score
Can't help but feel for the kid. I hope the coaching thing works out for him.

“I spoke to the coaches. I spoke to my family,” Diarra says, “and I wasn’t myself anymore in terms of basketball. So when it came to an opportunity where I could get into coaching, start my career and stay here with my team, I thought it would be a good opportunity. Because of all the people around me, I wanted to be here even more. The fact they wanted to help me through my tough times was just a blessing.”

Uggh!!! Hate to see this. I feel for the kid. I wish him the best in his future no matter what it may be.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Cool story Hansonel

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom