Courant Article on Geno's Infection | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courant Article on Geno's Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I can’t believe a UCONN beat reporter would do this.
These folks are reporters, not fans.
The "story" is not that everything is a-ok, not to worry, we'll be fine et al.

The "story" is that there is some, incalculable risk,
that perhaps we will only be in the clear when we tip off and perhaps not even then.

I can live with reality and truth-telling.

Reaction Score
These folks are reporters, not fans.
The "story" is not that everything is a-ok, not to worry, we'll be fine et al.

The "story" is that there is some, incalculable risk,
that perhaps we will only be in the clear when we tip off and perhaps not even then.

I can live with reality and truth-telling.
Even if you tip off you're not in the clear. We could play the first game, and have a player test positive the next morning and be forced to forfeit the Syracuse/SDS game.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe a UCONN beat reporter would do this. I’ve never liked Phillipou, I’ve always thought all of her pieces were written with an underlying “I don’t like this program, but this is my job” sentiment, and this is just another example.

This is just clout chasing.

Huh?? There is nothing at all wrong with this article.

Reaction Score
Exactly. In today’s world full of beings capable of conscious thought, ‘survival of the fittest’ has a lot to do with ‘survival of the smartest’. Basically just pure capitalism taken to its cruelest extreme. And it’s reality.
yeah i was thinking the same when i was typing it. humans have always had to have skills to survive and more and more it is with the brain as opposed to anything else. capitalism fosters this.

i got what i wanted out of capitalism and retired at 32 so all is good in my world. :)

Reaction Score
WE're "learning" new things every day; being that, then NOBODY can be an expert. My tax professor in 1971 at Uconn, (I recall is name as Higgins), once explained who is an expert. X is an unknown, a spurt is a drop in the bucket; so an expert is an unknown drop in the bucket.

Reaction Score
That was a good article. It explained a couple of things that were not clear in the earlier report.

1. He tested positive using a nucleic acid amplification test 2 days in a row. That requires 10 days of quarantine according to CDC guidelines. Or, he can return to normal contact 7 days after no longer testing positive.

2. His test showed a high cycle threshold, which supports his comment that the level of the virus was low.

While there are a number of different viewpoints expressed in the article, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that he would have transmitted the virus to others in the program. Although his infection occurred before the full protective effects of the vaccine would be manifest, evidence from Isreal indicates that transmission from people who have been vaccinated but become infected is very low.

The virus is weird. It is a fact that most people who become infected do not transmit the virus to anyone else even in the absence of vaccination. That includes members of their households with whom they are in close contact. It is mostly the "super spreaders" who typically have low cycle thresholds (high viral loads) upon testing that effectively transmit the disease.

If nobody else in the program tests positive by Sunday, the team is likely out of the wood.
My nephew (in his fifties) is now fighting for his life on a respirator. Tonight I got word that it's starting to affect his heart function.

Hope Geno comes out OK. If you haven't gotten your vaccine- get it. I have taken both shots.

Reaction Score
As a fan of Uconn, one who sat in the fieldhouse watching a game I was just learning because one of players on the team charmed me into coming after my evening run (there were little more than 7 other spectators-- all looked as if they were friends), and a admirer of Geno and what he has done for the players, and being myself trained in social medicine, I have been appalled at the current games I have seen where the coach has his mask more down than up. And I had given up trying to ascertain if it is a legal/medico mask or a bandettor. Most of us in the field are aware that over 50% of those wearing a mask do so inappropriately (pulling it up and down, re-using, taking it off from everywhere but the cords around the ears)-- a colleague and I are penning a paper comparing the early use of condoms with the Covid-masks looking at similar problematics.
For me, I blame the BE conf and Uconn's Athletics for letting Geno get away with this sloppiness. Twice I had wanted to open a thread on the matter but thought better given his godly status. Perhaps this explained the silence of the Conference. (Take a look at the Marquette coach and how she conducted herself re: mask).
Now, if there are additional pos, tests on the team that may or not be lined to him. But from a public health perspective the team should be send home. Hope is, all are healthy and can reap the rewards of a most difficult season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As a fan of Uconn, one who sat in the fieldhouse watching a game I was just learning because one of players on the team charmed me into coming after my evening run (there were little more than 7 other spectators-- all looked as if they were friends), and a admirer of Geno and what he has done for the players, and being myself trained in social medicine, I have been appalled at the current games I have seen where the coach has his mask more down than up. And I had given up trying to ascertain if it is a legal/medico mask or a bandettor. Most of us in the field are aware that over 50% of those wearing a mask do so inappropriately (pulling it up and down, re-using, taking it off from everywhere but the cords around the ears)-- a colleague and I are penning a paper comparing the early use of condoms with the Covid-masks looking at similar problematics.
For me, I blame the BE conf and Uconn's Athletics for letting Geno get away with this sloppiness. Twice I had wanted to open a thread on the matter but thought better given his godly status. Perhaps this explained the silence of the Conference. (Take a look at the Marquette coach and how she conducted herself re: mask).
Now, if there are additional pos, tests on the team that may or not be lined to him. But from a public health perspective the team should be send home. Hope is, all are healthy and can reap the rewards of a most difficult season.
It aint just Geno. I seldom see a coach and staff on the sidelines properly using a mask of whatever kind they have chosen, and most of the masks look to be close to useless. It's as if coaches have the idea that all of their players are deaf and need to be able to read lips. The time they are 'spreading' and also most susceptible is when they are talking/yelling, and they all seem to remove their masks to do that.

Reaction Score

I’m in total agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I suspect the opposite. It looked less than useless.

And they all seem to pull down the mask to talk / yell to the players. Certainly not just Geno.
That kind of cloth “mask” is relatively useless. It is surprising that a man who wouldn’t put up with sloppy play from his team would not have masked properly.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is annoying to me when 'public figures' that get plenty of TV exposure, and college coaches are prime examples, do not set good examples. And it isn't like they don't see the results of carelessness when their seasons are being frequently disrupted. It bothers me more than Joe Schmo on the street refusing to were a mask. And when you consider the unrestricted travel the refs were forced to take to earn their paychecks and the very different state regulations of the opponents, you can't claim that the college competitions were 'controlled environments.' Yeah they tested a lot more than the general public, but we know transmissions occur before positive test results show.

I was actually pretty impressed by the NFL when after the first week of games with the sidelines a joke, started imposing fines and the behavior got a lot better. I didn't see anything like that from any college AD, college conference office, or from the NCAA.

I have to believe there were a lot of concerned citizens contacting athletic departments around the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom