Courant article on Akok Akok | The Boneyard

Courant article on Akok Akok

Reaction Score
That completes Amore's series on the newcomers.

“He wants coaching,” Hurley said. "He wants to get better. He’s got his goals written down on paper. He lives in here [the Werth Family Center].”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Without a true “rim protector,” Hurley had to get away from the pressure defense that is his signature during last season. With Akok’s shot-blocking helping them now, there is the promise that the Huskies’ guards can stay aggressive.

With the addition of Bouk and Gaffney we've got the rest of the pieces now. If Akok and Carlton can be an eraser down low, we'll be a dramatically better team this year.

"The more comfortable you start to see him in and around everything, that’s when he is going to start looking like the prospect he wants to be. Right now, as a freshman, being a guy that keeps his mouth shut and just calls out screens and works really hard – that’s what we want him to be right now.”

Shot at Cobb?

Reaction Score
Gained 6lbs. Not great, but not bad for a kid starting from no experience at all.

If he can go into the season over 205lbs, it would be impressive. Tough with conditioning starting up though

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He will be someone special. It's always nice to have a coachable kid who is hungry to learn.
His coachability gives me hope that he will reach his potential. You can see his work in the weight room already paying off.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not really concerned about conditioning or muscle development anymore. For everyone worried about how many pounds over or under 200 Akok is, remember that we have a real coaching staff now and a pro level fitness trainer.

The program is in good hands now. These kids will be in D1 game shape from now on under Hurley, Alosi and co.

And they sure as hell know a lot more about conditioning and strength training than any of us do, or the previous coaching staff did.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
At this point, his body to me is reminiscent of Mek as a freshman. Slender but cut, especially in the upper body.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

“He wants coaching,” Hurley said. "He wants to get better. He’s got his goals written down on paper. He lives in here [the Werth Family Center].”

I remember a former Husky coach and some former Husky players talking about the need for these kids to live in the gym and gym rats.
Looks like UConn has one.

Reaction Score

Sad they can't get him a dorm room.;););)

Reaction Score
He should have put on more than 6 pounds. Got a 6’9 kid at LSU he put 17 on in four months. Each kid different though

Reaction Score
There is only one concern for this kid who is critical for us. As skinny as he is, can he stay uninjured on the court? This is what worries me about this season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Can't wait to see what he brings
He was sooo skinny when I last saw and spoke to him in March and the picture today does exhibit a growth in muscle across his shoulders but is till somewhat slim - some guys just have a hard time gaining weight
He will need it with this front court
I do think he will, if he stays healthy, bring some entertaining defense and outside shooting - he will work on that midrange game

Reaction Score
At this point, his body to me is reminiscent of Mek as a freshman. Slender but cut, especially in the upper body.
Omg totally different player

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Omg totally different player
I didn't say anything about his game (although he does seem to have shot blocking instincts). I was talking about his body. Emeka was a bit under 6'10" and weighed about 185 as a freshman, but had similar shoulder width and decent muscularity for his lack of bulk. Akok's build looks similar.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I didn't say anything about his game (although he does seem to have shot blocking instincts). I was talking about his body. Emeka was a bit under 6'10" and weighed about 185 as a freshman, but had similar shoulder width and decent muscularity for his lack of bulk. Akok's build looks similar.

Emeka was about 230 lbs as a frosh.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

2001-02 Men's Basketball Roster - University of Connecticut Athletics

Reaction Score
I'm curious why you think that. Okafor was 6-9 and 240 as a freshman and was very well built when he got to UConn. Not even close to Akok.

Reaction Score
He should have put on more than 6 pounds. Got a 6’9 kid at LSU he put 17 on in four months. Each kid different though
Per live strong health site:

"Men training appropriately for muscle gain can expect to put on about 1 pound per month, while those with 3 years of dedicated training will likely only be able to add about half a pound per month. "

They make big distinction between muscle and weight. Maybe "not quite men yet" late teens and early 20's can do more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom