Courant article on Akok Akok | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courant article on Akok Akok

Reaction Score
Akok Akok is going to be a game changer on defense. We haven't had a really mobile, athletic, and naturally talented 6'10 shot blocker in quite some time. Our interior defense just got a lot better, which affects our perimeter D also. We're going to be tougher this year, harder to score on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Per live strong health site:

"Men training appropriately for muscle gain can expect to put on about 1 pound per month, while those with 3 years of dedicated training will likely only be able to add about half a pound per month. "

They make big distinction between muscle and weight. Maybe "not quite men yet" late teens and early 20's can do more.

Just so much that goes into this. Lot of these kids are finally getting appropriate meals for the first time. They pumped them with protein shakes. Just text my kid, came in 194 last July currently 222. Redshirted this past year.

Reaction Score
Just so much that goes into this. Lot of these kids are finally getting appropriate meals for the first time. They pumped them with protein shakes. Just text my kid, came in 194 last July currently 222. Redshirted this past year.

Plus a lot of these guys lose weight before they put on, so while it may be 6 lbs NET gain, he may have lost 5 - 7 lbs of fat and then put on 10 - 13 lbs of muscle

Reaction Score

I am almost positive I know who you're talking about. His body is different than Akok's which could explain the difference.

Akok has super skinny hips and legs.. weight gain will be tough for him. His arms are bigger for sure, but he the big compound lifts are where he'll gain some real athleticism and size. It took months to prep him for heavier lifts.

He was also doing serious weight training for at least a few months (with a team of strength coaches) before getting to uconn. Entirely possible his total weight gain in the last 9 months is more like 10-15 lbs.

Reaction Score
Akok reminds me of Donyell who was long and rangy and had great shooting touch, along with shot blocking. Donyell might have been more solidly built but just imagine if he turns out to be that good. Donyell was not a center and neither is Akok. If he ends up guarding opponents centers for long periods he will take a beating. He has the length but not the muscle to do it. Help defender, fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Akok reminds me of Donyell who was long and rangy and had great shooting touch, along with shot blocking. Donyell might have been more solidly built but just imagine if he turns out to be that good. Donyell was not a center and neither is Akok. If he ends up guarding opponents centers for long periods he will take a beating. He has the length but not the muscle to do it. Help defender, fine.

There is some similarity to Donyell. Akok isn't a center, that's for sure. But a lot of college teams don't really have a center at all. We are used to seeing Fall, and the bruising front court at USF, but not many teams are built that way.

I think Carlton has the bulk to guard traditional 5s, but somebody like Akok and even Sid, providing that potential shot blocker as a help defender will certainly impact how effective teams are going to the rim against us. I think the real benefit is to impact the guards and wings who go to the rim, rather than somebody running post offense.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
A comparison for those concerned about Akok's weight:

Jonathan Isaac is listed at 6'10 210.
Brandon Ingram is listed at 6'9 190.

These are 21 year old NBA pros.

Not the same type of player as those two, however, I agree with the point you are trying to make. Athleticism and flexibility > pure bulk and strength. Both for the ability to move quickly on the court and reduce the risk of injury. In a dream world he would have a mix of both though...

Reaction Score
Not the same type of player as those two, however, I agree with the point you are trying to make. Athleticism and flexibility > pure bulk and strength. Both for the ability to move quickly on the court and reduce the risk of injury. In a dream world he would have a mix of both though...
And then he'd be a top 10 ranked recruit and at Duke or Kentucky. :)

C

Chief00

I remember a former Husky coach and some former Husky players talking about the need for these kids to live in the gym and gym rats.
Looks like UConn has one.
Quite frankly, that’s the type of guy that Chief likes and over the years, along with talent, correlate with success.

C

Chief00

Some similarity but Donyell was more fluid offensively on Chief’s humble opinion.

Reaction Score
I am almost positive I know who you're talking about. His body is different than Akok's which could explain the difference.

Akok has super skinny hips and legs.. weight gain will be tough for him. His arms are bigger for sure, but he the big compound lifts are where he'll gain some real athleticism and size. It took months to prep him for heavier lifts.

He was also doing serious weight training for at least a few months (with a team of strength coaches) before getting to uconn. Entirely possible his total weight gain in the last 9 months is more like 10-15 lbs.

Courtese Cooper. He was pretty under radar. Body different than Akok no doubt. But 6’9 7’5 wing span. But he was thicker in the lower body then Akok.

Reaction Score
Courtese Cooper. He was pretty under radar. Body different than Akok no doubt. But 6’9 7’5 wing span. But he was thicker in the lower body then Akok.

+8 wingspan is crazy. He'll make some noise if he keeps working hard. Gotta think he is if he's gained 30lbs of muscle in a redshirt year

Reaction Score
+8 wingspan is crazy. He'll make some noise if he keeps working hard. Gotta think he is if he's gained 30lbs of muscle in a redshirt year

Thicker lower body also makes sense as to why he was able to add more LB’s than AkAk. Larger more developed muscle groups tend to build faster if they have a good foundation. Sounds like he had that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom