Couple of odds and ends | The Boneyard

Couple of odds and ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just some odds and ends on the general game experience –

*THAT* is why you play big games at the XL. The crowd last night was A+ and on-point. It was one of the best game experiences I’ve had in quite a while, and while I enjoyed the hell out of the evening, it did make me a little melancholy for the old Big East days. Back then we’d have at least a couple games every year at the XL like that. We do not belong in this backwater low-rent conference (not saying anything new).

Susan – my God, we have a great looking President (who’s respectable on the foul line too)

Halftime – that juggling kid was something special. We’ve come a long way from the Youtube Dance Guy debacle.

Piped in music – holy sheet that was loud, especially the AC/DC Thunderstruck. Between the music, the band, and the crowd, I think we made the XL a real hellhole for SMU last night.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I watched on TV and despite some pre-game flashes to the raucous student section, I found it hard to get a feel for how "into it" the crowd was. I've been attending UConn Big East games since Calhoun became coach -- so I know the place can rock, but I certainly didn't get that sense through the TV last night.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just some odds and ends on the general game experience –

*THAT* is why you play big games at the XL. The crowd last night was A+ and on-point. It was one of the best game experiences I’ve had in quite a while, and while I enjoyed the hell out of the evening, it did make me a little melancholy for the old Big East days. Back then we’d have at least a couple games every year at the XL like that. We do not belong in this backwater low-rent conference (not saying anything new).

Susan – my God, we have a great looking President (who’s respectable on the foul line too)

Halftime – that juggling kid was something special. We’ve come a long way from the Youtube Dance Guy debacle.

Piped in music – holy sheet that was loud, especially the AC/DC Thunderstruck. Between the music, the band, and the crowd, I think we made the XL a real hellhole for SMU last night.

A great looking president and on first name basis????
This one caught me off guard - almost sounds like a reply to a Watchersweb amateur posting!!!
To each their own, I guess

Reaction Score
Interesting. I watched on TV and despite some pre-game flashes to the raucous student section, I found it hard to get a feel for how "into it" the crowd was. I've been attending UConn Big East games since Calhoun became coach -- so I know the place can rock, but I certainly didn't get that sense through the TV last night.

It was rocking at the XL last night and the crowd was really into the game the second half. Don't know what you were watching.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

My one quibble is the poor use of "Living on a Prayer". The crowd likes to sing the chorus. Fine. But last night was the second time they used it late in the game when the opponents had the ball. Using it then takes the masses attention off the important matter at hand. Terrible timing, IMO.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was rocking at the XL last night and the crowd was really into the game the second half. Don't know what you were watching.
Again with someone not there, critical of fans who were.

Reaction Score
You must have been watching a different game...

Reaction Score

I was also not there and agree with Wharton. The crowd was passive until the end according to the audio on the TV. I've "heard" it a ton better. But let me guess what your reply will be Waq? LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bravo to the fans, it was good for a few points.

I really think they would have had a problem on the road when SMU kept fighting and a few heads were down including DHam. The crowd lifted them back up. Now the team knows they can beat a quality team late in the season, lets take the confidence and energy on to Ohio.

Reaction Score
I wasn't being critical of fans at all....just didn't think it translated well on TV. Maybe I'm going deaf in my old age.
I was at the game last night but also set the DVR for when I got home. I agree with you that the noise of the crowd didnt translate well on TV. Thats on ESPN because for some reason the audio of the crowd was toned down and the audio for the broadcasters was turned up. Thats how It looked to me, but that crowd was really alive in the second half.

Reaction Score
Yeah I was there and it was pretty loud in the 1st half but borderline bedlam almost all second half. Right up there with Georgetown earlier this year - and easily the nuttiest the place has been in a long, long time.

Reaction Score
I was at the game last night but also set the DVR for when I got home. I agree with you that the noise of the crowd didnt translate well on TV. Thats on ESPN because for some reason the audio of the crowd was toned down and the audio for the broadcasters was turned up. Thats how It looked to me, but that crowd was really alive in the second half.

That's really disappointing because I was at the game and was eager to see what the crowd sounded like once the game gets up onto uconnhuskygames. Last night was the most lively I have seen the XL in a long time. I have been very critical of fan support this season and last night the students and everyone in the XL center made me eat my words. It's frustrating to hear it didn't translate well to TV though as I feel like this has been the case for A LOT of our most exciting games over the years.

Make no mistake though, the place was nuts. For the entire game.

Reaction Score
I was also not there and agree with Wharton. The crowd was passive until the end according to the audio on the TV. I've "heard" it a ton better. But let me guess what your reply will be Waq? LOL :rolleyes:
Weird because I don't agree, my wife and I were making numerous references to "that is how a college basketball arena should sound". Maybe the crowd wasn't up and screaming at every moment, but you'll never get that. Every time in the last say 30 minutes of game time that a UConn player made a great play like an Adams awe-inspiring layup, a Brimah alley-oop, or a big block, the crowd gave a sudden and short roar that was so intense it felt like the audio levels on the mic broke. I think they showed the omar to brimah alley oop from 4 different angles and you'd hear the huge screams right as he dunked it, and then I think an audio system reduces the levels so people aren't startled by the screaming.

I think it will come across on TCF's game replay, but it was definitely loud. I was thinking back to our game at Texas where theoretically its a big game at a big school, and their fans just don't care. They were there, but they don't scream and get into it the way the UConn crowd does.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Weird because I don't agree, my wife and I were making numerous references to "that is how a college basketball arena should sound". Maybe the crowd wasn't up and screaming at every moment, but you'll never get that. Every time in the last say 30 minutes of game time that a UConn player made a great play like an Adams awe-inspiring layup, a Brimah alley-oop, or a big block, the crowd gave a sudden and short roar that was so intense it felt like the audio levels on the mic broke. I think they showed the omar to brimah alley oop from 4 different angles and you'd hear the huge screams right as he dunked it, and then I think an audio system reduces the levels so people aren't startled by the screaming.

I think it will come across on TCF's game replay, but it was definitely loud. I was thinking back to our game at Texas where theoretically its a big game at a big school, and their fans just don't care. They were there, but they don't scream and get into it the way the UConn crowd does.

That's because at Texas, basketball is just a temporary diversion bridging the gap between football and baseball seasons, like Dr. Naismith originally intended. It's something to do to pass the time. They don't have any fundamental understanding of the game, so they just watch while sitting on their hands.

Reaction Score

I think the noise was tempered some because a few games before the broadcasters could not be heard at all, even when they interviewed Jim Calhoun. Hopefully they will figure out how to get Audio figured out.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Good crowd, great towards the end. I think it was more a factor of the flow of the game - tight, trading punches... Didn't have that "Big Red" moment until well in to the second half, if I'm not mistaken. There were multiple points where the place would have ERUPTED with a big 3, only to find SMU hitting it and quieting the crowd a bit.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Don't get testy. He wrote about "the feel", not about gray hairs sitting on their hands.

Reaction Score
Good crowd, great towards the end. I think it was more a factor of the flow of the game - tight, trading punches... Didn't have that "Big Red" moment until well in to the second half, if I'm not mistaken. There were multiple points where the place would have ERUPTED with a big 3, only to find SMU hitting it and quieting the crowd a bit.

It was a boxing match with punches and counterpunches until the very end when the DM rebound and SG's dribble ended the bout!!!!

Reaction Score
It was a boxing match with punches and counterpunches until the very end when the DM rebound and SG's dribble ended the bout!!!!

speaking of punches and boxing, I love how they made Nic Moore fight just to run from one sideline to another. They were all up in his junk - made me shed a tear o' joy. (reminded me of ye olde Big East days)

Reaction Score
I think the noise was tempered some because a few games before the broadcasters could not be heard at all, even when they interviewed Jim Calhoun. Hopefully they will figure out how to get Audio figured out.
I think you're right. A few of those games you couldn't hear the announcers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom