Could Hurley emerge a Master if he's successful next year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could Hurley emerge a Master if he's successful next year?

Reaction Score
Do you consider Billy Donovan a "master" of coaching?
I thought about him in particular. I'm not sure.
When I think of mastery I don't necessarily only look at # of wins and longevity. I don't equate long success with mastery per se.
Peyton manning for example has the same amount of rings as eli but Peyton is THE master of football. He had a different command of the game than other people. The Masters seem to see the game in a different way than everyone else, which is why I think you can show mastery without a stockpile of trophies...It may lead to that though.
I thought the way Danny and the staff won the tourney was different than the way other coaches have. It's almost like he figured something out.

Reaction Score
I thought it ironic that you mentioned Parcells and not Belichick, but the omission is appropriate. Parcells succeeded to some level everywhere, while Belichick distinctively failed at Cleveland.

In hindsight it appears Brady had more to do with the Patriots success.
I do agree. But also, I think he is for other reasons. I didn't put everyone I considered a master in my OP. I think that Belichick showed his mastery in X's and O's but mostly in personnel. He was and is a genius of knowing how to staff a sideline and a team. (Also, I'm a broncos fan for the record and I am just tossing out my opinions)

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Belichick didn’t fail in Cleveland. He won a playoff game there. I’m not gonna bother checking the record, but how much better did Parcells do in Miami?
? Belichick went 36-44 with only one winning season out of four. Though he won a playoff game in his one winning season, the next and final season was a losing one.

Parcells had a couple of losing seasons, his first one with the Giants being particularly bad, but not a losing record overall for the four teams he coached, each of which made the playoffs. He did not coach for Miami (he was an executive).

Does this put Parcells in the category of Master? Not too sure about that. He did win Super Bowls with two different quarterbacks and filled the qualifications of Master as cited by the OP better than Belichick.

Reaction Score
This coming season will be difficult for UCONN men’s basketball. We are likely too have to replace 60 % of our starters. That could be a double benefit in that it gives those who go out early a chance to get rewarded financially and other players to develop quicker by being thrown into the fire earlier. Let’s enjoy this coming season and keep the critics at bay. We can hope and expect the team to at least last the dance. Getting to sweat sixteen in my mind will be a victory. Maybe those who wanted to fire DH will shut up this next season or go and be fans of some other team and annoy some other way less deserving coach. I am a long time but casual fan and do not follow in the detail and deep that some do here. Yet I will be a fan win or lose because that is what loyal fans do. I even bumped into a UCONN fan in Vietnam gave us a few minutes to forget the damn war and talk about UCONN sports. A win win ….

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Belichick didn’t fail in Cleveland. He won a playoff game there. I’m not gonna bother checking the record, but how much better did Parcells do in Miami?
Best thing Parcells did in Miami was grab Chad Pennington. The Dolphins were a rudderless mess and Pennington got them on the same page. I hated the way he was dumped in favor of Favre and totally enjoyed Chad kicking the Jets out of a playoff spot in the season finale.

Unfortunately, when you get Chad Pennington, you only get him for every other year when he's not injured.

That said, the thing Hurley did really well, IMHO, was roster construction. And I think he might end up being better at that than even JC. I get the feeling that if Hurley was coaching UConn in 2004-5, there would never have been a game with the Beltway Ballers, Rudy Gay would've gone to Maryland, and Hurley would've come up with someone else to get to the FF in 2006, if not win it all.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Parcells had LT.
1682462603518.png

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
We get one of the two guards that left to come back, we’re in good shape. If not, strong rebuild and next season is house money.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He's already a master. He's a good coach, kids improve, and he looks like he's way ahead of the crowd in putting the pieces together

None of our transfers for 22/23 were considered the best in the class. Newton may have been top 20. But they were better than their rankings and most importantly, they blended

The transfer portal will be our friend. He will fill his needs nicely

WE ARE UCONN. The college basketball capital of the world. And we have our next GOAT, just different

Reaction Score
Fun question but let's give it time. Great run, amazing year. Let's keep doing this and I don't mean FF and NC, let's just get back to being UConn again he's given us a great start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom