Could Hurley emerge a Master if he's successful next year? | The Boneyard

Could Hurley emerge a Master if he's successful next year?

Reaction Score
I apologize for the poor choice of superlative, but Master is the best I got. But that's not the point here.
I've been running this around in my head for a minute:
There are certain coaches, across all sports, that have transcended chance, payroll, confluence of circumstance, the performance of 1 huge star, etc. to produce winners no matter what they are handed. A place where the Coach is the star.
In baseball, Tito and LaRussa come to mind. In football, Parcells, Andy Reid and a few others. Where the Coach is the common denominator of greatness. Where one person has such a grasp of what his sport demands that putting a team in his hands is a lesson in trust and almost guaranteed results.
It's early but I am seeing a lot of that confidence in DH. After what he was able to do from the sideline this year (especially in the tourney) if he has another stellar year, with almost a completely different team, he could become one of those wizards: the guy who is just smarter and more efficient than the guy on the other bench.
Who are some coaches that have reached that level of competence? Could DH become that guy? (And yes, I think you can show mastery without years of success)

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I apologize for the poor choice of superlative, but Master is the best I got. But that's not the point here.
There are certain coaches, across all sports, that have transcended chance, payroll, confluence of circumstance, the performance of 1 huge star, etc. to produce winners no matter what they are handed. A place where the Coach is the star.
In baseball, Tito and LaRussa come to mind. In football, Parcells, Andy Reid and a few others. Where the Coach is the common denominator of greatness. Where one person has such a grasp of what his sport demands that putting a team in his hands is a lesson in trust and almost guaranteed results.
It's early but I am seeing a lot of that confidence in DH. After what he was able to do from the sideline this year (especially in the tourney) if he has another stellar year, with almost a completely different team, he could become one of those wizards: the guy who is just smarter and more efficient than the guy on the other bench.
Who are some coaches that have reached that level of competence? Could DH become that guy? (And yes, I think you can show mastery without years of success)
In my head this would have taken an hour. And that’s if those thoughts didn’t trip over themselves.

Way too early to project where he will be in the lexicon of coaching. Interestingly he has paralleled JC with his statement of evolving from a control freak to trusting his players more. I always felt Khalid’s value to the program was more than his play. He was the first player with the moxie and the personality to help JC lighten up.

Jackson did it differently but the result is the same. He helped an intense coach trust his players.

I agree DH is more confident after this run. Consistency will be necessary to maintain it. But the most important quality Hurley has that can help him attain greatness is his work ethic. If he doesn’t burn out, if he continues to reflect on what he does well and reflects on what he needs to improve or change he will be a great coach.

Reaction Score
You're still excited about us winning the chip and so am I. But he's had one great year so far!

Let's remain excited but still so much basketball to be played Imo before anything can be determined!

Reaction Score
He already is a master of his craft. Turning around three programs proves it's not a fluke and the quality of play in that championship run was as impressive as it could be.

He is in fact on a trajectory that should get him into the Hall of Fame, he just needs to keep it going, gotta keep the fire burning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're still excited about us winning the chip and so am I. But he's had one great year so far!

Let's remain excited but still so much basketball to be played Imo before anything can be determined!
Its true. I am coming from a place of excitement. I'm not saying he is there yet. But he exhibited the same qualities some of these great coaches possess.
He has the makings. Next year will be telling

Reaction Score
In my head this would have taken an hour. And that’s if those thoughts didn’t trip over themselves.

Way too early to project where he will be in the lexicon of coaching. Interestingly he has paralleled JC with his statement of evolving from a control freak to trusting his players more. I always felt Khalid’s value to the program was more than his play. He was the first player with the moxie and the personality to help JC lighten up.

Jackson did it differently but the result is the same. He helped an intense coach trust his players.

I agree DH is more confident after this run. Consistency will be necessary to maintain it. But the most important quality Hurley has that can help him attain greatness is his work ethic. If he doesn’t burn out, if he continues to reflect on what he does well and reflects on what he needs to improve or change he will be a great coach.
The common denominator of Calhoun and Hurley is a very strong coaching staff starting with the greatest assistant in ncaa history Tom Moore. Who should be considered for the college hall of fame much like Cris Daley was.

Reaction Score
Tony LaRussa? I am a big baseball fan, you could have come up with many other managers that would fit what you were trying to describe.

Reaction Score
Tony LaRussa? I am a big baseball fan, you could have come up with many other managers that would fit what you were trying to describe.
In the modern era? Who? here are his stats (he's #5) I'm not singling out young, unconventional up and comers
but more pointing to consistently good product across different environments (I'm a huge Rays fan and Kevin Cash could be there but he needs 1 ring)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You could see it after a few years here..the team was competitive… then that last year in the aac.. uconn was on a roll at the end of that year, and could of made a run but the season got cancelled …since then we have been a top 25 team .. it seems we win recruiting battles over most teams…and out fight most teams with our toughness… i was nervous this year to win that first ncca game because you never know if the other team shoots lights out and we have a cold shooting day… then the haters would have been unbearable.. im sure Dave Benedict would have seen how good a coach Hurley is and he wouldn’t be on the hot seat… but it would have been a long offseason… but it turned out just perfect.. the way we took apart teams the whole tournament… and now people are talking about uconn as a blue blood at a perfect time…and with the big east in tv negotiations starting

Reaction Score
He already is a master of his craft. Turning around three programs proves it's not a fluke and the quality of play in that championship run was as impressive as it could be.

He is in fact on a trajectory that should get him into the Hall of Fame, he just needs to keep it going, gotta keep the fire burning.
The one thing holding his numbers back right now is his career win %. But, that's because his first season at Wagner, URI, and UConn were total rebuilds. If you remove his first season at those jobs, his career win % goes from .614 to .674. If you remove his 2nd season at URI and UConn it jumps to .711 which is entering elite territory. If he keeps winning at a .700-.750 pace and wins another title (hopefully more, which I think he will), he's a lock.

Reaction Score
The one thing holding his numbers back right now is his career win %. But, that's because his first season at Wagner, URI, and UConn were total rebuilds. If you remove his first season at those jobs, his career win % goes from .614 to .674. If you remove his 2nd season at URI and UConn it jumps to .711 which is entering elite territory. If he keeps winning at a .700-.750 pace and wins another title (hopefully more, which I think he will), he's a lock.
Great assessment. Especially the rebuild portion. Must be taken into account. I think most, including myself fall for the total wins, rings etc. but rarely consider circumstance. Pulling us up from the mud cannot be separated from the talk about DH's 1st trophy. Thanks for these #s

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The common denominator of Calhoun and Hurley is a very strong coaching staff starting with the greatest assistant in ncaa history Tom Moore. Who should be considered for the college hall of fame much like Cris Daley was.
Love seeing Tom Moore get his props. All the best coaches surround themselves with the best people and Tom Moore is the best. Kimani and Luke are younger and dynamic so they get talked about more but Tom Moore has been one of the best recruiters and big man/rebounding coaches for a very long time now. He's so low key and consistent that I sometimes feel it gets lost with fans. He's excellent and I expect many more years from him before he hangs it up as a Husky.

We have the best coaching staff in the country.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The hyperbole surrounding this past season is breathtaking.
One NC - well done but a master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cmon
Enjoy it but put the bottle or pipe down and let your feet feel the ground

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley grew a great deal over the past year. He always did lots of things really well, this past season it all came together. Given his standard of excellence in all areas of the program, it isn't hard to envision a prolonged run of greatness. One thing is for sure, UConn will always be a contender while he's here.

Reaction Score
The hyperbole surrounding this past season is breathtaking.
One NC - well done but a master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cmon
Enjoy it but put the bottle or pipe down and let your feet feel the ground
Why?.. I don’t want my feet to touch the ground… i am truly enjoying this ncca tournament championship.. the 5th at uconn!!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I thought it ironic that you mentioned Parcells and not Belichick, but the omission is appropriate. Parcells succeeded to some level everywhere, while Belichick distinctively failed at Cleveland.

In hindsight it appears Brady had more to do with the Patriots success.

Reaction Score
Love seeing Tom Moore get his props. All the best coaches surround themselves with the best people and Tom Moore is the best. Kimani and Luke are younger and dynamic so they get talked about more but Tom Moore has been one of the best recruiters and big man/rebounding coaches for a very long time now. He's so low key and consistent that I sometimes feel it gets lost with fans. He's excellent and I expect many more years from him before he hangs it up as a Husky.

We have the best coaching staff in the country.

I am convinved he is the best offensive rebounding coach in all of D1. Every team he's been on has been great on the O-boards. I've seen him at a coaching clinic going through his offensive rebounding drills, and he is an absolute scientist with it. Physical, technical... amazing stuff.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Back to back is too easy. Name the last three guys who won 2 championships within 4 years and tell us what you think of their legacies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought it ironic that you mentioned Parcells and not Belichick, but the omission is appropriate. Parcells succeeded to some level everywhere, while Belichick distinctively failed at Cleveland.

In hindsight it appears Brady had more to do with the Patriots success.
Belichick didn’t fail in Cleveland. He won a playoff game there. I’m not gonna bother checking the record, but how much better did Parcells do in Miami?

Reaction Score
Do you consider Billy Donovan a "master" of coaching?

Yes, the record is outstanding. If he wanted to coach college again he'd have top basketball shools lined up to make him an offer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Kentucky soon, if he wants it.

pj

Reaction Score
Back to back is too easy. Name the last three guys who won 2 championships within 4 years and tell us what you think of their legacies.

Jay Wright is a Hall of Famer, but I don't think Tyler Olander belongs. Shabazz maybe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom