OT: - Corona Virus Near Me | The Boneyard

OT: Corona Virus Near Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How to seek testing for coronavirus according to state health departments

Connecticut

Reaction Score
Westport is a hotbed due to one stupid party 2 weeks ago.
I'm surprised it's not more widespread throughout Fairfield County simply because of the trains taking people daily to and from a hot spot like Manhattan. The first thing I would have done to slow the spread was stop all the commuter trains MetroNorth, PATH, NJTransit, etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Best wishes to all.
The best site I have found in terms of a global view of spread is Johns Hopkins - they update frequently during the week less frequently over the weekends and seem to be getting numbers as quickly as any government site. CDC at noon today had not updated since Friday 4 PM for example.
Not sure how accurately or frequently some countries are publishing their data.
There is another JH site that publishes a daily bulletin of major news five days a week.
They also have free access to their research on corona virus.

Reaction Score
Westport is a hotbed due to one stupid party 2 weeks ago.

Been waiting for this. Wilton could be next. The party was not stupid at the time, unless the person knew they were sick. I’m wondering how much of this originated in new Rochelle,

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the site. There’s a case less than 5 miles away, Not that it matters except as a reminder to be vigilant about handwashing, etc.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Here's the thing. Case counts and case maps are important to have, but they only show "confirmed cases," i.e. those who have tested positive. But due to the generalized unavailability of testing, we can be certain that these represent only a very small percentage of those who actually have it. We are way behind the curve in even knowing where the disease is.

Reaction Score
I came across this 8 minute video yesterday, from 5 years ago. Some really interesting policy ideas about containing future outbreaks. The enormous human and economic impacts of the current crisis make this interesting to ponder... could this kind of preparedness be cheaper? Possibly even a hellavalot cheaper?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Been waiting for this. Wilton could be next. The party was not stupid at the time, unless the person knew they were sick. I’m wondering how much of this originated in new Rochelle,
The party was stupid in that it was to say goodbye to someone who was visiting from a country overseas and who had come from there having a high probability of exposure - everyone there knew where the person had come from and ignored the risk. We knew 3 weeks ago that parts of the world were major risks, ergo "stupid".

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I came across this 8 minute video yesterday, from 5 years ago. Some really interesting policy ideas about containing future outbreaks. The enormous human and economic impacts of the current crisis make this interesting to ponder... could this kind of preparedness be cheaper? Possibly even a hellavalot cheaper?

One problem unique to Coronavirus (and the opposite of Ebola) that Gates did not touch on is that it happens in a society that suppressed the information early and did not want outside help.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised it's not more widespread throughout Fairfield County simply because of the trains taking people daily to and from a hot spot like Manhattan. The first thing I would have done to slow the spread was stop all the commuter trains MetroNorth, PATH, NJTransit, etc.

It is very highly likely that there are thousands of patients infected. The state just doesn't have the tests and tests with reagent to actually test people. An official in Ohio estimated that there are 100,000 patients there.

We just don't know because of the lack of tests.

CL82

Reaction Score
Virus is .9 of a mile closer today than yesterday. Digging a Purell moat around the house. Anyone know someone who has, oh I don't know, 17,000 bottles of that stuff that they are looking to offload?

Reaction Score
Nets Announce 4 Players Tested Positive for Coronavirus, 1 Exhibiting Symptoms
Four members of the Brooklyn Nets have tested positive for the coronavirus, the team announced Tuesday.

In a statement, the Nets said:

"Of the four, one player is exhibiting symptoms while three are asymptomatic. All four players are presently isolated and under the care of team physicians. The organization is currently notifying anyone who has had known contact with the players, including recent opponents, and is working closely with state and local health authorities on reporting."

Reaction Score
Governor just said that 68 infected. The head of infectious diseases for the state said that there are probably 100 infected patients for every one that's tested. That means 7,000 infected in the state today.

Regarding the basketball season, Dr Cartter, head of infections diseases for CT Dept of Public Health said just now that he expects waves of COVID-19 infections- a spring wave (now), then a slowdown in the summer. Then a fall wave. Then likely another wave next spring.

If that's what happens we might not have WCBB in 20/21.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It is very highly likely that there are thousands of patients infected. The state just doesn't have the tests and tests with reagent to actually test people. An official in Ohio estimated that there are 100,000 patients there.

We just don't know because of the lack of tests.

Agree that there are a lot more cases but tests are just a part of the equation. According to the experts (Brix and Fauci) the tests are just a small part of the equation. They are reserved for people that are symptomatic and not intended as a screening tool.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nets Announce 4 Players Tested Positive for Coronavirus, 1 Exhibiting Symptoms
Four members of the Brooklyn Nets have tested positive for the coronavirus, the team announced Tuesday.

In a statement, the Nets said:

"Of the four, one player is exhibiting symptoms while three are asymptomatic. All four players are presently isolated and under the care of team physicians. The organization is currently notifying anyone who has had known contact with the players, including recent opponents, and is working closely with state and local health authorities on reporting."

1584481820498.png

Should have stayed in Jersey...

Reaction Score
Coronavirus epidemic is affecting my life. I do not have the virus nor do I know anyone who is infected. My wife and I are both in the high risk population. My granddaughter school has shut down until 15 April and she was staying with us during the day while her mom and dad were at work. My granddaughter wants to continue interacting with her friends and we, the family, have decided social distancing means lessening contact with each other. Hell to be old!

CL82

Reaction Score
1584543722696.png

This seem so daunting. I'd look forward to the recovered number going up in time.

Reaction Score
Here I was tucked into bed peacefully isolating from the world when wouldn't you know it? A 5.7 earthquake rather rudely shakes me awake so I can go stand outside with the rest of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom