2022 Recruiting: - Corey Floyd Highlights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Corey Floyd Highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a lot of hyperbole about his game on here, and I've definitely been a part of that. I think he stands a chance of being a really, really good player for us. But more likely he's a solid team guy and a foundational piece that plays within a team concept. The kind of guy you need on top-10 teams to complement your stars.

Does he guard college 1s and 2s? I'm trying to get a sense of what his role is going to be. Glue guy who can bench three plates?

Reaction Score
I would agree with that. IMO his recruitment shows that we're recognizing the need for role players, and elevating the type of role players that we're bringing in. No more Jumpman, or guards that are going to take 2 years before they can even touch the floor without being a liability.
There's a lot of hyperbole about his game on here, and I've definitely been a part of that. I think he stands a chance of being a really, really good player for us. But more likely he's a solid team guy and a foundational piece that plays within a team concept. The kind of guy you need on top-10 teams to complement your stars.
My dream CF player comp if he is just an undersized valuable team guy is Mark Vital at Baylor last year

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This kid looks phenomenal. All his shots are at the rim, dunks and 3s. Hyper athletic, competitive and tough. He can finish easily through contact. Also a humble, coachable, well spoken kid. A willing passer. What more could you ask for?

I guess the only knock would be that he’s more of a straight line athlete, not as fluid as some other guards his size. But that can be fixed through S&C

Reaction Score
This kid looks phenomenal. All his shots are at the rim, dunks and 3s. Hyper athletic, competitive and tough. He can finish easily through contact. Also a humble, coachable, well spoken kid. A willing passer. What more could you ask for?

I guess the only knock would be that he’s more of a straight line athlete, not as fluid as some other guards his size. But that can be fixed through S&C

I just don't understand how you can possibly know this stuff. No one on here knows if he is humble or coachable. Because his AAU coach said it? I said some pretty nice things about my AAU players before, and in the back of my head I was thinking "this kid is a major ." Have you ever heard a recruit of ours ISN'T the hardest worker in the gym? They always say that stuff. Well-spoken I'm assuming you know from a few interviews. I also don't really care if a kid is humble.

I would call him a good athlete, not a "hyper" athlete. He's certainly strong and gets up. Jackson is a "hyper athlete"--his athleticism is in another realm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I would presume there's gotta be another knock somewhere or he'd be rated significantly higher than he is. I like the kid and I'm looking forward to his arrival but I'm reading some Purvis comparisons but Purvis had more than his share of highlight videos too but was rated about 100 spots higher than Floyd.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I DM'd with a national recruiting guy the other week. Says that Corey will still be in the 100-150 range after their next update because 1) size. He's basically a 6'3 small forward. 2) His shooting is suspect. 3) 1v1 shot creating, he doesn't necessarily know how to shoot off the dribble and is easy to guard in iso situations.

I’m no expert but I was going to say this about his size. But he’s got more guard skills than say, Paul Harris who was a 6’4 PF. But he’s definitely got to improve his shot and ball skills for a 2 guard. He’s built like a brick but he’s probably only about 6’2.

Reaction Score
He's obviously strong, but I don't think he's super explosive and quick. It's not like he's levitating in the air on his dunks, and he's not breaking guys down off the dribble all the time. I'm not an expert so I can't comment on shooting form, but a lot of his threes look like they kind of rattle in rather than being "pure". I like the "better Brendan Adams" comp, delusional to think he's anywhere near NBA bound at this point. Also, above a certain threshold does it really matter how saintly these kids are? I want the grimiest kids we can get who won't get arrested/be toxic to the program, aka a team of Boatrights.

Reaction Score
This young man has tremendous ball and body control. In a highlight reel filled with speed and direction changes, many in traffic, I noted two travels/carries -- in the strictest sense, and one of those was questionable. And nothing that could remotely be called a charge.

In today's game, that's almost unheard of.

But can he play defense? Because if he can, he's like a guard version of Adama. Big and strong with moves.

Did I mention that I like this kid?
Says he takes pride in being a two-way player.. So I'm guessing he likes the challenge of going up against great offensive players.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He's obviously strong, but I don't think he's super explosive and quick. It's not like he's levitating in the air on his dunks, and he's not breaking guys down off the dribble all the time. I'm not an expert so I can't comment on shooting form, but a lot of his threes look like they kind of rattle in rather than being "pure". I like the "better Brendan Adams" comp, delusional to think he's anywhere near NBA bound at this point. Also, above a certain threshold does it really matter how saintly these kids are? I want the grimiest kids we can get who won't get arrested/be toxic to the program, aka a team of Boatrights.

I agree with all of this.

He's going to be great in transition, great on D, and he absolutely has the tools as a junior right now to develop his game. His J isn't bad, his form looks ok though not super smooth ... you can tell he's not a "shooter" but he can shoot a bit. Plenty of room to improve as a combo guard, but he's got the tools.

Reaction Score
Three things I noticed about Floyd when I saw him play.
First, with contact, guys kind of bounce off him and he acts like nothing happened. The same when he gets fouled - he continues with his shot undeterred.
The second thing is he has a relax outside shot with a really nice rotation on the ball. So I see it getting better with practice.
Finally, he knows where his teammates are when he has the ball. Pretty good vision and he can deliver the rock in creative ways.
I do agree though he’s not super explosive but he does have shifty moves.

Reaction Score
We can hope for better than the Ferrari can't we?

We can hope for whatever we want but the reality is that he’d have to jump 100+ spots in the rankings to be anywhere near where the Ferrari was ranked, so your hope better be more than “gotta be better than whoever Ollie brought in.”

Reaction Score
Admiral Schofield was the #251 recruit in his class. Tons of Schofield vibes in Floyd.
I figured he’d get a bump just from being on a big prep school team and elite AAU squad. But recruiting is hardly an exact science, tons of great players every year outside the top 100. Let’s hope that’s the case!

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Schofield was 6’6 and a 4 man.
Yup, undersized for a 4-man but built like a brick *house. Corey is proportionally similar as a guard. The recruiting rankings place a premium on NBA projectability. I think both Schofield and Floyd are underrated partially because of their lack of height for their positions. That doesn’t mean Corey won’t be an excellent college player, as Schofield was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom