Corey Evans on UConn Recruiting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Corey Evans on UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
I could really care less about recruiting rankings. Sure, they're important to an extent, but if you're winning anyway then they are meaningless.

See: Gonzaga & WSU. Both different approaches to roster building, both work. Neither rely on top guys out of HS

This used to be true of Gonzaga, but in the last several years they are grabbing top 100 guys, and great transfers.

Reaction Score
If Jalen or Terry leaves they have players although agree, no matter how good Akinjo may be it's hard to ask that much out of him in his freshman year. But I wouldn't rule out 5th year impact guard or forward or maybe a fall out with coaching change? Fluid situation not worth worrying about at this point.

pj

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not how I recall it. He was top 5-10 in the prep rankings, but not necessarily considered the equivalent of a 5* high school recruit. Retrospective consensus ranking was #47 in the class of 2000: Recruiting Services Consensus Index (RSCI) Rankings - 2000 | Basketball-Reference.com. Taliek was considered our best recruit that year.
You're remembering incorrectly, he would have easily been a McD's all-American had he been eligible. People who evaluated him had him as a top 10-15 recruit.

Reaction Score
Not how I recall it. He was top 5-10 in the prep rankings, but not necessarily considered the equivalent of a 5* high school recruit. Retrospective consensus ranking was #47 in the class of 2000: Recruiting Services Consensus Index (RSCI) Rankings - 2000 | Basketball-Reference.com. Taliek was considered our best recruit that year.

Recruiting Services Consensus Index (RSCI) Rankings - 2000 | Basketball-Reference.com

It varied pj, here's one with him ahead of both is NYC rivals Cook and Barrett.

Reaction Score
Every National Championship team has had at least 1 McDonadalds All American / 5 Star on the roster. Lamb had Kemba and Shabazz had Daniels. You can check every other program as well. Its good to get the Lamb types but you need the 5 star. People forget Daniels finally played like the #9 recruit during that Championship run. Not taking anything away from Bazz but DD was a beast too!!

Damn that's right he did finally play like a #9 recruit during that run didn't he? :D

Reaction Score
Not to nitpick but he was certainly considered a top 10 recruit. That list on RSCI you provided had 2 of the 4 ranking services not ranking him because he was a 5th year high school player and they didn't rank those. The other 2 services did and they had him at 8 and 9 respectively. If the other 2 services had ranked him I'm pretty certain he would have been around the same rank. So he was certainly a top 10 recruit.

pj

Reaction Score
Not to nitpick but he was certainly considered a top 10 recruit. That list on RSCI you provided had 2 of the 4 ranking services not ranking him because he was a 5th year high school player and they didn't rank those. The other 2 services did and they had him at 8 and 9 respectively. If the other 2 services had ranked him I'm pretty certain he would have been around the same rank. So he was certainly a top 10 recruit.

OK, fair enough. More telling, he had the #3 pro career out of that class after Zach Randolph and Gerald Wallace. Not bad!

Reaction Score
If Jalen or Terry leaves they have players although agree, no matter how good Akinjo may be it's hard to ask that much out of him in his freshman year. But I wouldn't rule out 5th year impact guard or forward or maybe a fall out with coaching change? Fluid situation not worth worrying about at this point.

Getting really sick of plugging huge gaps in the lineup with 5th year grad transfers. They’re great for spot roles like Kromah but it’s pretty telling of our recruiting over the last few years when we’re combing the college b-ball landscape for 5th year seniors to start or play meaningful minutes. It’s fine once in awhile but come on

Reaction Score

Getting really sick of plugging huge gaps in the lineup with 5th year grad transfers. They’re great for spot roles

Reaction Score
Getting really sick of plugging huge gaps in the lineup with 5th year grad transfers. They’re great for spot roles like Kromah but it’s pretty telling of our recruiting over the last few years when we’re combing the college b-ball landscape for 5th year seniors to start or play meaningful minutes. It’s fine once in awhile but come on

Not thinking Antwoine Anderson thinking higher impact player, otherwise I agree don't do it. It works for other teams and has for us to an extent. Why not if there's a fit?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom