Cord Cutters | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
Ah, OK. I didnt know if you were speaking in general terms or not. Sorry for confusion.
I work for Comcast and just wanted to share a plan for people who still enjoy traditional cable to not have to sacrifice on a package but still keep the cost in line. CT taxes and fees are $30 or more for most packages that have tv included. It’s a real problem and probably the number one reason people cut the cord for options that don’t have all the taxes and fees. I’m not trying to push Comcast here, it’s just that I know our pricing, fees, equipment costs inside and out. The number one way in my opinion to keep cable costs manageable is to own your own equipment. I can list all the Tvs and streaming devices that have the Xfinity app built in if anyone is interested.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Great information from everyone - thank you very much.

I haven't read anything about landline phone options. We currently have Comcast's Triple option with TV, Internet and Phone for $240/mo.Two years ago it was $160, which I was okay with. I've heard horror stories about Frontier's service, so I'm looking for options that include a landline phone (for at least a few more years).

Frontier blows. Don’t touch it.

Reaction Score
Great information from everyone - thank you very much.

I haven't read anything about landline phone options. We currently have Comcast's Triple option with TV, Internet and Phone for $240/mo.Two years ago it was $160, which I was okay with. I've heard horror stories about Frontier's service, so I'm looking for options that include a landline phone (for at least a few more years).
Not trying to be a d*ck, but what is the point of having a landline these days? Just generally have no clue why on earth someone would need it?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For those who have tried both, which is better YouTube TV or Hulu live?

I have tried both along with Sling TV.

I really wanted Hulu Live to work but it was continuously buffering and going from HD to what looked like 1970's standard def. I killed it within the trial period.

To me You Tube TV is better for a few reasons-
1. All your local network stations come in so you don't have to switch between sources when you channel surf
2. It has all the cable news networks- CNN, Fox, MSNBC, CNBC.
3. Better sports package. I get all the ESPN's including WatchESPN, CBSSN, NBC SN and Fox Sports Channels (These are the Florida regionals. I think this is where YES, NESN or SNY would be part of package in the northeast).

The only thing I miss from Sling TV is Food Network and Travel Channel.

Things may have changed and each of them will give you a free trial period. Try them and stick with what you like. For me, You Tube TV is by far the best.

Reaction Score
A followup question please: no one has mentioned whether the alternatives provide high def/HD. I would never want to go back to standard signal TV

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not trying to be a d*ck, but what is the point of having a landline these days? Just generally have no clue why on earth someone would need it?

I literally save one penny a month by bundling my land line and internet. So, I have a land line. Technically. There isn't a phone hooked up in our home anywhere.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seeing this for ads on the side.

1547234485962.png

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

without it how would I get all those intrusive sales calls?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
A followup question please: no one has mentioned whether the alternatives provide high def/HD. I would never want to go back to standard signal TV

Assuming your internet has enough bandwith to stream HD, yes all of these services are HD. PS Vue quality is basically identical to what I had with Comcast. Hulu had buffering issues and not all sports were in 60 FPS when I had it last year; not sure if those issues have been cleared up.

Reaction Score

at least YoutubeTV and DirectTV now are all in HD. Even local channels. I believe that youtube is streamed at 60fps, not sure on the others. That is a huge difference when watching games.

Reaction Score

We have been slow to change, but up until 2 years ago, we had an AT&T landline, and a few years back when we lost power for a week at a time during Sandy and the various snowstorms, and everyone was scrambling with their cell phones to recharge their batteries, we never lost our phone connection. When we finally relented and went with Comcast's Xfinity bundle, we lost that advantage. But the call quality is still superior: no one tells us that the call is 'breaking up.'

When our girls who are both out of state call us (on an almost daily basis), they always call the landline because they know we don't carry our cell phones with us around the house. My wife leaves hers on the kitchen counter and I leave mine on my desk in my home office. It's also nice to have caller ID show up on the screen if we're watching TV - not sure that happens with a cell phone.

Lastly, I don't have to worry about the landline phones running out of power. I don't want to stress about the cell battery dying in the afternoon because I've used it for calls, texts, web usage etc. My charge lasts 2-3 days. I'm on my PC for work 8-10 hours a day so i don't really need my cell except for the times I'm on the road.

Reaction Score
Without reading 4 pages of post I will discuss briefly my experiences... I have Fios 150/150 internet. I use a Roku and pay for the full Sling package (Orange and Blue) and Amazon Prime. We steal a friends Hulu, my GF's family's Netflix, and use my parents Optimum login when necessary so not paying for cable is pretty easy for us under the circumstances.

It has been a nightmare getting the UConn games this year for me (maybe someone can correct me with what im doing) but any game on an ESPN affiliate I should get on Sling but since they are also on SNY then its blocked out. That ruins many games for me. None of my options have CBS Sports like the last few games (Other than Optimum).

In the end, the only reason I have been able to watch all of the games is through using my parent's Optimum login on NBC Sports (SNY games), ESPN online (ESPN-network games) or CBS Sports only on the computer (CBS Sports games). Every once and awhile the stars will align and I can get it on Sling but generally it hasn't been as easy as I hoped.

My girlfriend had all of this already before I moved in so I didn't really have much of a say in what we use and luckily, thanks to my parents account I haven't missed a game. But to people curious about how to do it going forward, I can say in my opinion it hasn't been easy and 1 minute into every UConn game I find myself trying every available option until one works, which is annoying. Maybe I just don't have the right programs e.g. YouTube TV vs Sling vs Hulu so if UConn games are your #1 priority (which for some reason it wasn't for my girlfriend before we moved in together.....) do your research and then pray.

Internet speed wise, 150/150 has been perfectly fine for me (I didn't spring for the 1GB) - I have never had an issue.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I pay right around $100 a month for internet and PS Vue and get all of my sports channels. If you can find me a Comcast package that costs anywhere near that AND gets all the ESPN channels and SNY, I'd be happy to switch over, but when I cancelled Comcast last year I was paying close to $220 a month and they said they could only lower my bill by about $15 at the most if I wanted to keep SNY.

I can live with being about 15 seconds behind the live feed to save $100+ a month. It sucks at times getting spoiled on twitter, but I just stay off of twitter until commercials.

About 16 months ago I made the mistake of getting an xfinity bundle That includes cable for three TV’s, internet, phone, alarm and monitoring. It’s outlandish. I’m actually in tears as I type this. I’m thinking about getting this-
1547243416279.jpeg

I’d appreciate any feed back, thanks. 1547243416279.jpeg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
About 16 months ago I made the mistake of getting an xfinity bundle That includes cable for three TV’s, internet, phone, alarm and monitoring. It’s outlandish. I’m actually in tears as I type this. I’m thinking about getting this-
View attachment 38169
I’d appreciate any feed back, thanks. View attachment 38169

That's a good deal, just make sure to ask what channels would be included in the lineup. I have a feeling it'll be basic cable and probably not have all of the ESPN channels, CBSSN, or SNY/YES/MSG.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
View attachment 38169
I’d appreciate any feed back, thanks. View attachment 38169
Figure it will be $150 + with box rental and taxes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We have crappy cell service at home; that's why we still have a landline.

And yes, I helped lead the "successful" neighborhood resistance to a cell tower that would have been a frisbee throw away from us.

Reaction Score
For people new to Comcast or who have internet only, here is my recommendation.

Select Tyler Phommachanh, $99 base price for 2 years:
Includes all sports channels UConn is on
250 MB Blast internet speed

If you have Netflix, consider the Signature package for 119.99 because you’ll get the 400 MB internet speed, Starz and Showtime for $9 more

Purchase own modem/router
Purchase Roku sticks for additional Tvs

The Select should come to about $130 with taxes and fees. Invest 2-$300 or so in the Roku sticks and modem and get a great package for 130-$150.

In my opinion and ADub and others will agree that the X1 platform is awesome and well worth it.
I pay close to $240 triple play x1 and it’s great. I always will need internet which is about $80 by itself though so a tv package of $150 don’t help much unless it covers everything. The good news is that Comcast might want to deal because of all the cord cutting.

Reaction Score
I cut the cord a month ago using You Tube (plus STARZ add on) for $50 and Netflix for $11. I will remove the STARZ add on after Outlander finishes in January.

My cons:

You cannot record just one episode. You get all or nothing.
Using your phone instead of the remote control is different. You can not channel surf as easily with YouTube TV.
No last channel watched option.

Just wanna note on if using a roku you can do last channel watched, not sure if you use your phone but with the roku remote just hit the down button twice and it will give your recently watched, both live and recorded.

Reaction Score
Anybody use an IPTV company? Gives you live cable, movie channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, etc.) and the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB packages - all for under $40 a month.

Reaction Score
Switched to PlayStation Vue last year. Great sports package, can use on up to 10 devices ( tv, phone, iPad laptop). Kids use it on their laptops at college. You can go back through the guide and watch previously aired shows, and fast forward thru commercials. I use Roku and optimum low end internet (100mb) with no buffering lag to speak of. Went from $ 250 a month cable triple play to $145. Well worth it

Reaction Score
I just cut the cord and couldn't be be happier. I was paying $190/month for DirecTV and I looked at both YouTube TV and DirecTV Now. I opted for the $65 package of DIRECTV Now so I could get the UConn games on CBSSN. I will switch to $55 package after the season. I'm saving about $130/month, which is great.

I also got rid of my home landline, which was costing me $60/month and ported my home number over to Google Voice, which is free. So now, I can get my home calls to my cell phone too, so that is another $60/month savings. That is almost $200/month savings combined for simply cutting the cord!

Finally, I negotiated a lower price and faster speed with Comcast / Xfinity and am saving another $25/month there too. I'm getting the Extreme 400 package and my total bill is $85/month for internet service. So I feel really good with all of the moves I just made to save some $'s.

But now my wife wants a new Washer and Dryer, so there goes my savings. :(

Reaction Score
There is no subject on the internet more disconnected from reality than cord cutting.

Online every last person is a cordcutter. In reality there are still 90 million cable subs down like 10% over a decade.

It would be a good way to teach a kid about selection bias.

It's clearly generational thing. I am 30. None of my friends have cable. I also don't personally know anyone over 50 that has cut the cord.

Reaction Score
With all the cord cutters, why can’t cable be more competitive so people aren’t compelled to switch?
Because cable providers need to maintain a multi billion dollar network while these over the top providers don't have to do a thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom