Cord Cutters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I cut cord ages ago and watch every game. We went w/. Hulu Live Tv and have had 0 issues.
Hulu TV has CBSSN, SNY, and all the ESPNs?

Reaction Score
I did the math last fall and switched from Fios to Comcast. Cord cutting was going to cost me more. I pay $155 for fast internet, cable and phone. It came with free Netflix for 2 years so I cancelled that. It came with Starz, which I was also paying for. I pay for Prime which is a no brainer. I pay for the low end Hulu because my daughter wanted it for something. Just added HBO to Prime again.

I use Amazon Fire Sticks and my Xbox One S for streaming. The Comcast cable box actually has Netflix, Amazon and YouTube built in. Works very well with the voice activated remote, especially with ESPN3.

But wait until the "promo" ends and you will end up paying almost twice as much. Cable gets you because of all the added fees. The extra money for each box and then a regional sports fee, plus all those extra taxes. It really adds up. For the streaming options, it is truly a set fee, with no added costs unless you choose to add something.

Reaction Score
I just have the cheap $25-$30 Roku streaming sticks on each TV. 150MBps internet speed for $60 through Comcast with 3 TPLink access points and then stream wherever and whenever I want.

Also @GemParty YouTubeTV is unlimited DVR. Other companies will offer DVR for a certain amount of hours an then they will charge you more if you want more. With YouTuveTV they keep it for 9 months or so and then they delete it.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Here’s my advice. But an HDMI and just bootleg video for games from links in reddit threads. I do this for most UConn games. But I don’t watch TV outside of sports, so I don’t really need the Roku stuff

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But wait until the "promo" ends and you will end up paying almost twice as much. Cable gets you because of all the added fees. The extra money for each box and then a regional sports fee, plus all those extra taxes. It really adds up. For the streaming options, it is truly a set fee, with no added costs unless you choose to add something.

That's my actual bill. Taxes and boxes included. Locked for 2 years. Plus the upgraded router (which is actually pretty good). When my two years is up they can either match what is out there or I'll go to Verizon again. Verizon has called us several times begging us to come back and offering a similar price, even though mine was $250 when I left.

As long as you have two choices, you can keep playing this game and cord cutting offers minimal to no cost advantage (depending on services). The good news is 5G will be here soon and will obliterate this whole approach. Verizon folks are on record that the future package looks like: 5g receiver in the house, router to convert to wifi, YouTube TV, Netflix, added packages at cost. They expect their base package at around $75.

Reaction Score
You can't get SNY if you're outside the New York greater metro with YouTube TV, though.

You need to spoof your location to get it to work.
What happened on that, I used to get SNY on Comcast up until this year? Location Illinois.

Reaction Score
I cut the cord a month ago using You Tube (plus STARZ add on) for $50 and Netflix for $11. I will remove the STARZ add on after Outlander finishes in January.

I get all the UCONN games.

There really is no DVR per se. You tell YouTube TV that you want to record all UCONN husky games or all Blacklist shows. You will get a link to the show in the cloud. Yes you can select on a team instead of a show to record. You click once and all the shows are available with a click. They eventually age off but they are in the cloud for a long time. No need to concern yourself with space.

My cons:

You cannot record just one episode. You get all or nothing.
Using your phone instead of the remote control is different. You can not channel surf as easily with YouTube TV.
No last channel watched option.

Overall, I am saving about $80 a month from my cable bill. I am glad to have cut the cord.

The last time I cut the cord, I was helping deliver my two children in the hospital 25 years ago.

Reaction Score
With all the cord cutters, why can’t cable be more competitive so people aren’t compelled to switch?

Let me pay you for high speed internet, pick the sports package I want between two regions and identify the 50-75 shekels that I actually want to watch.

I'd love if cable was a la carte

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Sorry if I am repeating anything that has already been said, but I really like Hulu Live. They have all of the ESPN channels (including U and NEWS), CBSSPORTS, SNY and YES. Now, I live in CT and my account is tied to a CT credit card, but even when I travel outside of the state (Tennessee and Virginia) I've still been able to get YES, SNY and NBCSPORTS Boston to work on my account.

***Plus you get access to the Hulu on-demand library

Reaction Score
Location Spoofing ?

I have Hulu tv and signed up with a NJ address. But when I'm in Fla, I can';t get the NY channels..I've tried using a VPN in NJ, but that doesn't work....I've also manually set my chrome location to NJ, but that doesn't work either...

Is there a way to do this?

Are other providers less strict about this and allow the VPN solution?

Other than the location spoofing issue, Hulu TV is fine. A bit quirky at times, but not worth the expense of paying the TV provider
thx

Reaction Score
Is YouTube tv easier to surf than Sling or about the same? They get the local channels live all the time?

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Just want to add to the chorus for YouTube TV. I live outside CT (Long Island) and I still get every single UConn game.

The cloud DVR is a big plus - we have a young son, so by the time he gets to bed (for example last night was about 45 minutes after tip off) I can watch the game on either the TV or my iPad and just skip all the ads.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Location Spoofing ?

I have Hulu tv and signed up with a NJ address. But when I'm in Fla, I can';t get the NY channels..I've tried using a VPN in NJ, but that doesn't work....I've also manually set my chrome location to NJ, but that doesn't work either...

Is there a way to do this?

Are other providers less strict about this and allow the VPN solution?

Other than the location spoofing issue, Hulu TV is fine. A bit quirky at times, but not worth the expense of paying the TV provider
thx

I've been able to get it to work without spoofing. When I travel I get all of the local channels (broadcast) but still have the NY/CT area channels available. I've been using Hulu for over a year and travel all the time for work and have never had issues with it.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Is YouTube tv easier to surf than Sling or about the same? They get the local channels live all the time?
Can't compare to sling, but I really like the interface. It's similar to a cable guide menu, and yes, the local channels are live.

Reaction Score
I have been thinking about cutting also. Needs: all the ESPN Channels, CBSSN and the Hallmark Channels.

Best option?

Reaction Score
Wasn’t planning on buying a game system. Any other options? I suppose I could go get wings & hit the pub for a few games I’m not attending. Baseball would be tough though.
You don't need a game system you can use Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, Android TV and Apple TV.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
For those who have tried both, which is better YouTube TV or Hulu live?

Reaction Score
A happy Dallas, TX PS VUE subscriber for almost 2 yrs. Haven’t missed a game.
One of best things about cutting the cord is that it’s basically a month to month contract. If you’re not happy, cancel and move on to the next option.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm due for a rate increase soon so after that happens I may have to re-evaluate it. My parents pay about $230 as well and theyre just a town over. I'm in a condo and I think there is a decreased rate because of the level of competition between the providers.
I'm only paying $139(was just $135 last month but increase in fees) here in Atlanta for Comcast Preferred with Starz and Blast internet speed (150 mbps). Of course my reduced rate comes up in March and I'm looking at going with AT&T Fiber 300 GB $60 and Playstation Vue $50 package. Will go back to $45 dollar package when UCONN's season is over. Playstation Vue has HGTV, TLC and Discovery channels which Youtube is missing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no subject on the internet more disconnected from reality than cord cutting.

Online every last person is a cordcutter. In reality there are still 90 million cable subs down like 10% over a decade.

It would be a good way to teach a kid about selection bias.

Reaction Score
For people new to Comcast or who have internet only, here is my recommendation.

Select Tyler Phommachanh, $99 base price for 2 years:
Includes all sports channels UConn is on
250 MB Blast internet speed

If you have Netflix, consider the Signature package for 119.99 because you’ll get the 400 MB internet speed, Starz and Showtime for $9 more

Purchase own modem/router
Purchase Roku sticks for additional Tvs

The Select should come to about $130 with taxes and fees. Invest 2-$300 or so in the Roku sticks and modem and get a great package for 130-$150.

In my opinion and ADub and others will agree that the X1 platform is awesome and well worth it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For people new to Comcast or who have internet only, here is my recommendation.

Select Tyler Phommachanh, $99 base price for 2 years:
Includes all sports channels UConn is on
250 MB Blast internet speed

If you have Netflix, consider the Signature package for 119.99 because you’ll get the 400 MB internet speed, Starz and Showtime for $9 more

But own modem router
Purchase Roku sticks for additional Tvs

The Select should come to about $130 with taxes and fees. Invest 2-$300 or so in the Roku sticks and modem and get a great package for 130-$150.

In my opinion and ADub and others will agree that the X1 platform is awesome and well worth it.

If you are already paying for the roku sticks as you have above, are you saying that getting internet with TV through comcast is cheaper than internet and a streaming option. I don't agree with you on that if that is what you are saying.

Reaction Score
If you are already paying for the roku sticks as you have above, are you saying that getting internet with TV through comcast is cheaper than internet and a streaming option. I don't agree with you on that if that is what you are saying.
I’m not. One poster said if he could get internet and all the channels that carry UConn for the $120 range he’d be interested, I was laying out a plan to do just that.

Reaction Score
I’m not. One poster said if he could get internet and all the channels that carry UConn for the $120 range he’d be interested, I was laying out a plan to do just that.

Ah, OK. I didnt know if you were speaking in general terms or not. Sorry for confusion.

Reaction Score
Great information from everyone - thank you very much.

I haven't read anything about landline phone options. We currently have Comcast's Triple option with TV, Internet and Phone for $240/mo.Two years ago it was $160, which I was okay with. I've heard horror stories about Frontier's service, so I'm looking for options that include a landline phone (for at least a few more years).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom