Cord Cutters | Page 43 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
I'll add it to my spreadsheet. DirectTV stream service might be the best bet. I've got a bunch of options lined up for price comparison. It's complicated, as I've got 4-5 TVs. Two aren't connected to Cable (one via splitter so it only replicates). The cable box rental is a cost as well. Fios now has an app available via FireSticks, Apple TV and other platforms. It won't do 4k, but they give you one 4k box free. I like the idea of the flexibility, it gives you some of what the streaming services give you in that way.
Share the spreadsheet!

Reaction Score
Any issues with these services when being used from different locations? I think I am going to cut. I pay 2 cable bills and it’s not worth it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Any issues with these services when being used from different locations? I think I am going to cut. I pay 2 cable bills and it’s not worth it.
I don’t think so, particularly if it’s not different locations at the same time, but even that may be fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Share the spreadsheet!
Not sure how to even do that here. It's not complicated.

I am pretty fed up with my Xfinity bill at this point. Also extremely annoyed that if I try to change my services online it says "We're sorry, please call us". Honestly feel like the FTC must ensure that anything you can order online can be cancelled online. All of these services are too reliant on sales people on commission and should fire them all and lower costs instead.

As I dive back into this for maybe the 4th time, I really don't need many channels and yet none of the services seem to have them all. In particular it seems like none of them have: NESN, FS1, FS2, TBS, TNT, TrueTV, NBC Sports Boston. That pretty much covers the sports needs I have outside of the main networks. It looks like DirectTV is just missing FS2. Anybody know how many UConn games I'd miss?

FuBO: Has NESN, but missing TNT, TBS
YouTubeTV: missing NESN, FS2
DirecTV Stream: missing FS2 until at the very $$ tier
HULU+ Live: missing NESN

NESN stand alone: $30 a month. $330 a year (with 8 Sox tickets).

CL82

Reaction Score

I am pretty fed up with my Xfinity bill at this point. Also extremely annoyed that if I try to change my services online it says "We're sorry, please call us". Honestly feel like the FTC must ensure that anything you can order online can be cancelled online. All of these services are too reliant on sales people on commission and should fire them all and lower costs instead.

As I dive back into this for maybe the 4th time, I really don't need many channels and yet none of the services seem to have them all. In particular it seems like none of them have: NESN, FS1, FS2, TBS, TNT, TrueTV, NBC Sports Boston. That pretty much covers the sports needs I have outside of the main networks. It looks like DirectTV is just missing FS2. Anybody know how many UConn games I'd miss?

YouTube TV as FS2 for me. I know there can be regional differences, but I wouldn’t think that would be one of them. If it does have it for you, then YouTube TV and the NESN standalone seems to be your answer at just under 100 a month.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
YouTube TV as FS2 for me. I know there can be regional differences, but I wouldn’t think that would be one of them. If it does have it for you, then YouTube TV and the NESN standalone seems to be your answer at just under 100 a month.
That + Cable at $90 a month, plus at least $10 for a VOIP phone puts me at $200. Not really different than cable.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Streaming is slowing ticking up their prices closer to regular cable. I pay $84 for Comcast internet only and I’m a little over $100 for Hulu Live TV but I also get Showtime and HBO.

CL82

Reaction Score
That + Cable at $90 a month, plus at least $10 for a VOIP phone puts me at $200. Not really different than cable.
Why do you need the cable? For Internet?

We canceled the landline, picked up YouTube TV and went with Fios gigabyte, which may be more than we really need. That ended up being like 130 versus like 225 to 235 for cable. So, the savings are 1200 a year. Not life altering, but meaningful.

Note that I left out things like prime, Netflix, Hulu etc. because I was going to be paying them either way.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Why do you need the cable? For Internet?

We canceled the landline, picked up YouTube TV and went with Fios gigabyte, which may be more than we really need. That ended up being like 130 versus like 225 to 235 for cable. So, the savings are 1200 a year. Not life altering, but meaningful.

Note that I left out things like prime, Netflix, Hulu etc. because I was going to be paying them either way.
I think he meant internet not cable.

I'm paying $172 for FIOS cable/internet (their equipment not mine) - it sounds like some but not all are paying more with streaming now. That's disappointing but anticipated. Oh well.

Reaction Score

Other than 1 or 2 Saturday non conference games would be on FS2. You don't have CBSSN listed. Both networks on YTTV.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just cutting the cord. My cable bill has gotten insane. Some of my thoughts:

Fubo is the best streaming value but doesn’t have TNT or TBS, which is a lot of NBA games. If I wasn’t an NBA fan I would probably get Fubo.

I would have gotten Hulu Live but I am getting the Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle through Verizon for free so YouTubeTV ends up being a better deal on an incremental basis.

YoutubeTV does have FS2.

I think I am going to get the premium channels (HBO, Showtime/Paramount, Epix) outside of my streaming service. I might run Starz through streaming, not sure.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just cutting the cord. My cable bill has gotten insane. Some of my thoughts:

Fubo is the best streaming value but doesn’t have TNT or TBS, which is a lot of NBA games. If I wasn’t an NBA fan I would probably get Fubo.

I would have gotten Hulu Live but I am getting the Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle through Verizon for free so YouTubeTV ends up being a better deal on an incremental basis.

YoutubeTV does have FS2.

I think I am going to get the premium channels (HBO, Showtime/Paramount, Epix) outside of my streaming service. I might run Starz through streaming, not sure.
TNT and TBS also now have a lot of NCAA tournament games. Missing those is just huge for basketball fans.

Youtube has FS2, I was wrong on that. No NESN though, which remains a problem. Going to try to negotiate my current rate down, if successful, that's cheaper than cutting the cord for me. NESN 360 is way too expensive and isn't even available on enough platforms.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wife called Comcast. No reduction in the bill. So screw them. I'll live without NESN until next baseball season I suppose. Time to switch to Fios. It's utterly unacceptable that Comcast doesn't allow me to change my services online.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wife called Comcast. No reduction in the bill. So screw them. I'll live without NESN until next baseball season I suppose. Time to switch to Fios. It's utterly unacceptable that Comcast doesn't allow me to change my services online.

They will write business school cases for the next two decades about how badly the cable companies screwed up cord cutting. I bet the cable companies could have charged a 20% premium to cord cutting just because people are lazy and inertia will often win out, but the cable companies got stupid and belligerent and treated their customers as enemies, and as a result the cable industry is losing 4 to 6 million subscribers a year. When someone calls to discuss their cable bill, that is a seriously at risk customer. The cable companies have a lot of margin to work with, so doing nothing with those calls seems insane.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They will write business school cases for the next two decades about how badly the cable companies screwed up cord cutting. I bet the cable companies could have charged a 20% premium to cord cutting just because people are lazy and inertia will often win out, but the cable companies got stupid and belligerent and treated their customers as enemies, and as a result the cable industry is losing 4 to 6 million subscribers a year. When someone calls to discuss their cable bill, that is a seriously at risk customer. The cable companies have a lot of margin to work with, so doing nothing with those calls seems insane.
They actually said they'd reduce our bill by 3 cents. So yeah, I'm done with them. Fios at least lets me adjust my plan online. Comcast should fire every single sales rep they have and simply drop the price. It's the reason we still have Best Buy and Circuit City went out of business. People don't want to pay a premium to have someone pushing them to buy things, certainly not a service they can scope and order easily online. It's coming for cars too. Tesla showed the way. Nobody needs a car salesman to show them a car. They want a test drive, but that is all.

The Telcos and cable companies had monopolies (some still do). They never figured out even a shred of how to effectively compete and offer good customer service.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
They actually said they'd reduce our bill by 3 cents. So yeah, I'm done with them. Fios at least lets me adjust my plan online. Comcast should fire every single sales rep they have and simply drop the price. It's the reason we still have Best Buy and Circuit City went out of business. People don't want to pay a premium to have someone pushing them to buy things, certainly not a service they can scope and order easily online. It's coming for cars too. Tesla showed the way. Nobody needs a car salesman to show them a car. They want a test drive, but that is all.

The Telcos and cable companies had monopolies (some still do). They never figured out even a shred of how to effectively compete and offer good customer service.
in classic and fancy mba school, they teach how the railroad companies blew it on getting into the airline bitness.
and, they teach how the block ice companies blew it on getting into the refrigerator bitness.
i guess peloton didn't realize that they're in the clothes hanging bitness.
nuthin new under the sun, except that nuclear thing.

Reaction Score
in classic and fancy mba school, they teach how the railroad companies blew it on getting into the airline bitness.
and, they teach how the block ice companies blew it on getting into the refrigerator bitness.
i guess peloton didn't realize that they're in the clothes hanging bitness.
nuthin new under the sun, except that nuclear thing.
Reminds me of Sony passing on their mp3 invention and letting Apple have it because they didn't want to hurt their Walkman business.

Reaction Score
Just find a friend who still has Comcast and buy them dinner and ask them for their Comcast password and watch NESN on the app.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just find a friend who still has Comcast and buy them dinner and ask them for their Comcast password and watch NESN on the app.
The app only works on the home wifi of the main account holder. Anyway, I wouldn’t ask anybody for that.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think he meant internet not cable.

I'm paying $172 for FIOS cable/internet (their equipment not mine) - it sounds like some but not all are paying more with streaming now. That's disappointing but anticipated. Oh well.
That’s like $60 less a month than I was paying. I think it’s a pretty good deal.

I can’t speak for others, but I pay like $65 for gigabyte Internet and another $65 for YouTube TV. It has everything I want, although occasionally I’ll stream stuff off the Internet like this weekend’s football game. It’s convenient and very reasonably priced.

Last year I turned off YTTV after the end of the baseball season and restarted it about this time of year for football. You can do that pretty effortlessly. This year baseball ran a little longer so I didn’t bother, though I probably should’ve since it’s pretty much found money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The journey nelson described is just what I went through when I made my decision to cut the cord. And ended up with YouTube TV.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Just bought a Netgear Nighthawk modem. Partly so that I can stop paying Xfinity’s $14/month modem rental fee forever and partly because it has a cool name. We’ll see if it makes any difference streaming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom