Copper commits to RU/ESPN has analysis on future RU vs UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Copper commits to RU/ESPN has analysis on future RU vs UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll have to see more games to say if yesterday was a one time thing or not, however yesterday we were running and looking to run alot more then we normally do. And it payed off, yes we missed alot of layups that we'll make later on in the season. But even last year when you asked, I believe I said I couldn't really tell a difference. This year I can, CVS said she would change our style to up-tempo due to this years class. She certainly has.

We seem to run, and press. And we seem to run our offense better this year then last year. But again, that was one game. So we'll see on Wednesday against BC if we can do it again.
good points but running and pressing is a different offense than a motion offense. i guess i'm more wondering what will happen when they are in a half court game and can't generate offense off their defense...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
good points but running and pressing is a different offense than a motion offense. i guess i'm more wondering what will happen when they are in a half court game and can't generate offense off their defense...

There were times when that happened yesterday, they seemed run the half-court offense pretty well. But you can tell it's a work in process.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Not to be nasty, but try to think of a recent player who has actually improved during her time at RU.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And I agree with you.
It might have taken away from the article, but it could have had a different spin. RU is having a lot of success in recruiting, behind perhaps only UConn in the Big East. Look for RU to be much more of a factor than they have been for the past few years.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To answer about the offense - it looked somewhat more free-flowing even last year, IMHO. It looked extra up-tempo yesterday, probably because we have more players than recently.

Guards passing the ball around until they jack up a shot at the shot-clock was NEVER an intended offense. And it has always been a case that the better the defense the worse the offense looked. I have heard a number of explanations, some of which I believe are possible.

In any case, RU has long lacked - I would almost say always lacked - a reliable inside game. While both TSB and Kia Vaughn were both capable and at times excelled, consistency was never the name of the game with either one of them. Can you name any other RU centers of talent???

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
To answer about the offense - it looked somewhat more free-flowing even last year, IMHO. It looked extra up-tempo yesterday, probably because we have more players than recently.

Guards passing the ball around until they jack up a shot at the shot-clock was NEVER an intended offense. And it has always been a case that the better the defense the worse the offense looked. I have heard a number of explanations, some of which I believe are possible.

In any case, RU has long lacked - I would almost say always lacked - a reliable inside game. While both TSB and Kia Vaughn were both capable and at times excelled, consistency was never the name of the game with either one of them. Can you name any other RU centers of talent???
Kia Vaughn was inconsistent IMO because she rarely got the ball in position to do something with it, and she was never the focus of the offense. CVS failed Kia in a very big way. Her 4 years at RU was a complete waste.

Reaction Score
i think everyone will agree that traditionally RU has been a guard-centric offense that was usually driven by 1 or sometimes 2 star guards. and i'm not talking about the guards controlling play said:
i'm referring to the "dribble the ball a lot around the perimeter and either drive to the hoop or have the guard jack up a 3[/I]".quote]

Before coming to UCONN how many Rutgers games did Hartley attend? :);):D:p:rolleyes:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It's time to get off your Hartley stinks soapbox.

Reaction Score
It's time to get off your Hartley stinks soapbox.

Through your eyes I am saying Hartley stinks. I say I am saying she scores and rebounds very well and needs to improve in the other areas. Besides, I was jesting. So lighten up. :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Through your eyes I am saying Hartley stinks. I say I am saying she scores and rebounds very well and needs to improve in the other areas. Besides, I was jesting. So lighten up. :)
Adding 18 smilies after the fact doesn't change the numerous shots you've taken at Bria's performance against HC.

Reaction Score
I haven't posted here in a while, but I saw this article and knew there'd be a thread. As an RU fan, the bottom line is whether Rutgers can get back to the way things were from 2004 to 2008, when the two teams were roughly at parity against each other. (RU won 5 of 11 games in that span, including the team's only Big East Tournament championship.) I think that period had a lot of great basketball and was really good for the game and for the Big East as a conference. (I recognize it's not UConn's favorite part of the decade, though.)

What these two classes do is give RU more depth than it's had for years and a bunch of players who look a lot like Essence Carson to me, plus real posts to match up better with UConn's traditionally strong presence. (And for those who comment about CVS's ability to develop players, Carson is one of the players who really grew under Stringer's tutelage.) I never make any predictions about how things will turn out, but I'm excited about the potential, and about the prospect that the classes that RU and UConn both have can help keep the Big East at the top in WCBB.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Unless there are injuries of some sort, with the class we have now and the class coming in (no. 1 and no. 2 players), and with our prowess in coaching, UConn is going to be simply amazing next year. I know we can't prognosticate, and I don't want to, as we have been really burned by such things. But if all goes according to plan, it is going to be spectacular. I'm glad that RU is building up a great team, that ND is great; that Cuse and G-Town and Louisville are doing so very well. They are all going to need to do so. It will be amazing, that's all, and that's what we fans love.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hello Jmpenn,

Ariel Massengale is a good point guard but its political that she was ranked the top point guard in the country due to playing on the Olympic team and winning AAU national championship. Richardson was an unknown who hit the radar in her junior/senior year of high school at #7 in the country. Check out the WBCA All American game box score where Richardson & Massengale went head to head: http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/WBCA-All-Star-Game.pdf

The reason Ariel's team won the NC is because she's ridiculously good (also the reason she was on the Olympic team). She was the clutch player on that NC team. Her ranking isn't political.

And come on now, no one puts any stock in AA games. Kids don't play defense or team oriented basketball. I don't think you can ever look at any AA or all star game and come away with any meaningful insight on players, other than: "she's fast" or "she's big".

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Massengale and Richardson are also playing in two very different situations now.

From all indicators, Massengale is seen as the savior for UT, filling a desperately void PG slot where she is expected to produce and lead from Day 1.

Richardson is one head of a three headed trio of quick and athletic Jersey guards (joined by Canty and Davis) who, at least for now, are playing behind three upperclassmen in Rushdan, Wheeler, and Speed. I expect to see flashes, if not whole games, of brilliance from all three of them, but they won't be expected to take over and lead till next year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Rutgers may want to start Silver and Gold to go with their Copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom