2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg offered | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very true — but I do think that Duke can probably buy any player with NIL $ if they choose to do so… it’ll probably keep Scheyer viable long after the fact
If Duke needs to keep outbidding schools to get top recruits and stay relevant, then Scheyer won't last very long as the coach. K forced Duke to give Scheyer a shot at coaching when he has absolutely zero business being the coach. The boosters will demand a coach with a proven track record if they are throwing millions at high school recruits and not getting championships.

Reaction Score
Flagg would give his soul to have the athleticism of Bird before Bird hit 30 years old. And Bird still has one of the best mid-range games ever. And I was a Sixers fans who despised the Celtics.
Flagg is already 25 pounds heaver than KD was in HS, college or first few years in the pros. KD is a horrible comp.

Was this supposed to highlight Birds athleticism?!?

Reaction Score
Very true — but I do think that Duke can probably buy any player with NIL $ if they choose to do so… it’ll probably keep Scheyer viable long after the fact
They certainly can. I wonder how big their payroll is each year. If we’re talking each starter being close to $2M, then yeah there’s no shot. But if they’re offering a kid $500K, Hurley could say is that 500k life changing? No, the $30M guaranteed for being a top 10 pick is the life changing money.

But Flagg will probably be getting offers in the millions so he’s not the best example to use I guess

Reaction Score
Flagg would give his soul to have the athleticism of Bird before Bird hit 30 years old. And Bird still has one of the best mid-range games ever. And I was a Sixers fans who despised the Celtics.
Flagg is already 25 pounds heaver than KD was in HS, college or first few years in the pros. KD is a horrible comp.

This video is not making nearly the point you think it is.

Reaction Score
I want Duke to disappear as much as the next guy but he impressed me in Year 1. Their players got better and their team peaked late. His recruiting classes are stupid and he seems to have a good handle on the importance of the portal to get experienced role players.

Reaction Score

Uhm…If Bird had Flagg’s athleticism, he’d probably be the GOAT.

Reaction Score

Agree on this but it will take a long time to see if Flagg ever compares to 33s in game intelligence. So many players with so much more athleticism than Larry but very very few as good at all that he did.

This kid is amazing though at this point sky’s the limit.

Reaction Score
Agree on this but it will take a long time to see if Flagg ever compares to 33s in game intelligence. So many players with so much more athleticism than Larry but very very few as good at all that he did.

This kid is amazing though at this point sky’s the limit.
Of course, that’s no comparison at this point, it would be unfair. I just don’t understand the athleticism comparison either.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If we don't want to do the "compare every tall skinny guy who can shoot to KD" thing, then I'd offer Joe Johnson (career 20,000 point NBA scorer, top 50 all time).

I was actually thinking about Rudy Gay in this comp ... especially with Matrim's specific traits like "score-first bouncy 6'8 swingman with a smooth pull and less than great vision/passing"

Reaction Score
Yep. He wasn't that far from it anyway. The very thing that made Bird so amazing was that he was incredible with poor arhleticiam and zero jumping ability. It was like the greatest magic trick you've ever seen. Can't remember who said this, but there is a famous quote from someone significant that said "if you wanted to teach your son how to play basketball you show him videos/games/highlights of Larry Bird."

Reaction Score
Yep. He wasn't that far from it anyway. The very thing that made Bird so amazing was that he was incredible with poor arhleticiam and zero jumping ability. It was like the greatest magic trick you've ever seen. Can't remember who said this, but there is a famous quote from someone significant that said "if you wanted to teach your son how to play basketball you show him videos/games/highlights of Larry Bird."
When he was healthy, Bird was the best basketball player on the planet.

Reaction Score
Bird was a lot more athletic than most people give him credit for. There is a difference between looking 'smooth' and being athletic. It's one of the things that puzzled opponets of his. They made the mistake of mixing the two up. He looked slower than he was and his shot was little unorthodox (but the follow through was pretty and consistent), but he was better than people give him credit for.
I like the Chambers comp for Flagg. He reminds me of a bit of a combination of him and Carlos Boozer.

Reaction Score
Flagg is a stud. I hope the comment that Duke is his dream school has some flexibility to it. If I was DH, I'd get to the bottom of that quickly and not waste time if he's got his mind set on Duke.

Reaction Score
I want Duke to disappear as much as the next guy but he impressed me in Year 1. Their players got better and their team peaked late. His recruiting classes are stupid and he seems to have a good handle on the importance of the portal to get experienced role players.
Yeah, I agree - I despised him as a player, such a little twerp. But I thought this team looked like they were getting better at the right time. I even had them going to E8 in March (which I never do for dook)…. So yeah, he handled himself better than expected.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree - I despised him as a player, such a little twerp. But I thought this team looked like they were getting better at the right time. I even had them going to E8 in March (which I never do for dook)…. So yeah, he handled himself better than expected.
Duke will be tough. Keeping Porter and Flip for another year basically guarantees them 2 lottery picks next year. If Roach comes back it gives the experienced guard to bring stability. The biggest challenge will be finding PT for the 5 stars. Will be pre-season top 5 and #1 for many. If Flagg (2024) and the Boozer twins (2025) are Duke bound we will get flooded w/ Duke coverage. Hoping Dickie V retires.

Reaction Score
Duke will be tough. Keeping Porter and Flip for another year basically guarantees them 2 lottery picks next year. If Roach comes back it gives the experienced guard to bring stability. The biggest challenge will be finding PT for the 5 stars. Will be pre-season top 5 and #1 for many. If Flagg (2024) and the Boozer twins (2025) are Duke bound we will get flooded w/ Duke coverage. Hoping Dickie V retires.
Flagg is 2025 also. Would they take both in the same class? They kind of play the same position. Would both even want to pick Duke in the same class?

Reaction Score
Yeah there's a couple of seasons for Scheyer to reveal himself to be bad.
………..and it only takes 15 seconds for Flagg’s family to say Storrs is a much much much easier drive. Why would he not want to play with Clingan, Castle, and Karaban, assuming those three are still there. Sort of reminds me of Kentucky in 78, with the twin towers.

Reaction Score
………..and it only takes 15 seconds for Flagg’s family to say Storrs is a much much much easier drive. Why would he not want to play with Clingan, Castle, and Karaban, assuming those three are still there. Sort of reminds me of Kentucky in 78, with the twin towers.
Because there's virtually zero chance Clingan and Castle are still here. Even if you take the pessimistic route and don't buy sophomore Clingan and freshman Castle as NBA draft picks like they're currently projected, they'd have to choose to come back again the year after to play with Flagg. 4 years of Clingan and 3 years of Castle is not happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom