Coolest thing you’ve seen or done recently | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coolest thing you’ve seen or done recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Removed a lipoma from an inmate patient’s shoulder that was about the size of my fist.

(I’m an Internal Medicine physician at a prison…procedures like this are new to me over the last few months)
During the past two weeks I scrubbed in the following transplant surgeries — heart, liver and kidney. Also did a couple aortic dissections. Nothing unusual, just part of the normal daily routine of an operating room nurse.

Reaction Score
About a month ago, took went to see the Chinese Dance Group "Shun Yen" with my wife, Sister-in-law and her husband at Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington, DC. FANTASTIC SHOW...if you like performing dance troupes. This was the first time in a long time that I have been able to get my wife out for an evening of fun; given that she is totally disabled from advanced MS, and has a form of cancer called Neuro Endocrine Tumors in 4 places in her body. This was our first time at the Kennedy Center, and they were great getting us handicapped seating so she had a great view of the show while in her wheel chair and they made sure we got to our seats and back to the parking garage with no problems.
Glad to know that you and the family were able to enjoy an evening out. Also, prayers for your wife, that her symptoms may be controlled. I know it’s easier said than done, but I’ll add her to my prayer list none-the-less.

Reaction Score
It’s not recent, but here’s what I think is one of the coolest things in the history of the world. Certainly, the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. It takes a bit of word salad to describe, but it’s worth the read.

Back when I was living in Houston (this must have been in the mid 1980’s) an artist/sculptor (who must have also been an engineer) got permission from the city to temporarily erect one of his “works” in the open greenway between 2 parallel streets that access the city on the west side.

When you first glimpsed “it” as you exited the city, it looked like a bomber had flown overhead, opened its bombay doors and dumped a bunch of construction debris from an office building demolition. There were huge black I-beams of all sorts of shapes and sizes stuck in the ground at completely weird angles. In other words, it looked like a total mess.

But as you approached it, there was the optical illusion of all that “junk” moving around and slowly gathering together in center of your field of view. And when you reached just the right point all that moving junk briefly appeared to form a perfect square balancing on one corner. The center of the big square was cut out and you could see the actual landscape behind it.

And after you drove a second or two further down the road the square appeared to slowly “disassemble” itself until once again it looked just like a bunch of construction debris sticking out of the ground.

Just too cool!

It would be great to find a video. I’ve tried to research "it' on the internet several times since then, but I haven’t had any luck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have an ulterior motive for starting this thread :) I went to an air show yesterday that showcased military aircraft from the C-17 cargo planes to The A10 Warthogs to B52s to the Navy’s F18s to the fabulous Air Force Thunderbirds. There’s nothing better than sitting on the beach with a few thousand people cheering on our military.

So, what cool thing have you done, or seen, or visited recently?

View attachment 87424
Excellent photo of some F-16’s. :cool:

Reaction Score
Bobcat.jpg

On the visitor outside my window theme... it walked RIGHT past my window this winter but I was too slow fumbling with my phone or I could've had a reach-out-and-touch-it type pic as it didn't see me on the other side of the pane. I went outside to capture this, and as it didn't immediately bolt upon seeing me, and I was steps from my door, I thought it prudent not to try to get closer. It turned and ran soon after. Bobcat in Ivins, UT.

On a (not recent) coolest theme, a friend and I took an RV trip from Colorado to the Calgary Olympics in '88. Skied, biked and hot spring'd everywhere in-between on a month long loop. Also saw the Beatles at Shea in '66 when older sis got roped into taking little me.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Last October, Colleen and I were in eastern Pennsylvania for a week. We spent a day visiting the local wineries. In Drum, PA we encountered the Honey Hole Winery. Not like any other of the dozens of wineries we've visited in North and South California, Delaware, Texas, Arizona, Connecticut, New York, Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Washington and Georgia! Upon first entering, we encountered this:
Honey Hole Choices.png
(the ones at the end are peach-apricot, strawberry and bitter orange), and this:
More Choices.png

Those are all wines.

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
One final shot of Honey Hole Winery:
Blackboard.png

Note the flavored meads on the right bottom of the blackboard, and the Chocolate, Coffee, Sour Cherry, Toasted Marshmellow and Creme Brulee dessert wines (port style, no less) above the meads. Finally, the machines in front of the blackboard are holding wine slushies. There are a couple more machines to the left of those shown.

We had a fun (and surprisingly enjoyable) time trying out a number of these not-found-anywhere-else beverages.

Note: they did sell more conventional white and red wines as well, but we didn't try any.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hosted a Ukranian "New Americans" couple and their three year old in our home for their first week in the USA. Saturday (4/15) we moved them into the apartment our sponsorship group found for them. Full on Google Translate all week. Worked out wonderfully well.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A couple of weeks ago, the band I play in did a 2+ hour dance gig. We have a 9 piece band - 2 keyboards one doubles on alto sax), rhythm guitar, electric bass, congas, drum set, alto saxe, a trumpet and tenor sax. We back up 9 vocalists.

We perform songs from the 50's thru the 80's. We have three and four part vocal harmonies on most songs.

The last gig was a packed house of 300+. The dance floor was full the whole night and at the end we got a standing ovation!!!

Even at my age, 72, a standing O is still a big trill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom