Coolest thing you’ve seen or done recently | The Boneyard

Coolest thing you’ve seen or done recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have an ulterior motive for starting this thread :) I went to an air show yesterday that showcased military aircraft from the C-17 cargo planes to The A10 Warthogs to B52s to the Navy’s F18s to the fabulous Air Force Thunderbirds. There’s nothing better than sitting on the beach with a few thousand people cheering on our military.

So, what cool thing have you done, or seen, or visited recently?

BEFFC237-AA0C-445A-9272-97F339838308.jpeg

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I went to the show "Tina" at the Bushnell Performing Arts Center in Hartford this afternoon. It is about the life of Tina Turner. The show blends her incredible music into her challenging but ultimately amazingly successful life story.

It was wonderful. Probably the best show I have ever seen at the Bushnell, and I have seen a lot of shows there.

The lead who played Tina, Zurin Villanueva, absolutely knocked it out of the park.

There is life after UConn basketball!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Removed a lipoma from an inmate patient’s shoulder that was about the size of my fist.

(I’m an Internal Medicine physician at a prison…procedures like this are new to me over the last few months)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is something that my wife has seen recently. We have lived here on our farm in NC since 2005. In that time, my wife has renewed her love of photography and spends a lot of time walking around the farm taking photos. She has always wanted to see any type of owl that she might come across. Often during the last 17+ years, we have heard them but never were able to catch a glimpse. That was until a month ago when she saw a Barred Owl on a trail to one of our horse pastures. Since then she has seen another one and has seen both frequently. She is one happy photographer!!!
2Q==(1).jpg
FB_IMG_1681682349430.jpg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
No way can I top @luvgiraf , figuratively or literally. But I had a red fox snoozing in my yard (in the middle of the DC suburbs) for much of the day several days ago.

Another day last week I saw an intact dead red-tailed hawk. I'd never seen a well-preserved hawk up close before.

Yes, I'm all about nature.

Foxy Loxy:

foxy loxy.jpg

Reaction Score
The Monday after Easter, I was walking my neighborhood in southeastern PA at 8:30 in morning. I looked up in the sky and counted 15-20 vapor trails. It seems most air traffic was headed West with a few headed North. It was a very unique sight for me.

Reaction Score
No way can I top @luvgiraf , figuratively or literally. But I had a red fox snoozing in my yard (in the middle of the DC suburbs) for much of the day several days ago.

Another day last week I saw an intact dead red-tailed hawk. I'd never seen a well-preserved hawk up close before.

Foxy Loxy:

View attachment 87435
No pictures, but we saw a family of red foxes that have been living under a shed in a neighbor’s yard. Parents and 4 little ones. They were playing in the early morning like little puppies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Foxy Loxy:

View attachment 87435
All about nature - me too. Last week I got to watch a beautiful red fox trotting down our road carrying an unfortunate chicken from a neighbor's coop. :)

Reaction Score
Yes, agree with you guys, nature is where its at.
untitled-400.jpg
Last fall made a trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone, hope to make another trip somewhere this fall. I'll include some of my pix.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I have an ulterior motive for starting this thread :) I went to an air show yesterday that showcased military aircraft from the C-17 cargo planes to The A10 Warthogs to B52s to the Navy’s F18s to the fabulous Air Force Thunderbirds. There’s nothing better than sitting on the beach with a few thousand people cheering on our military.

Nothing cool lately for me but ...
Your post reminded me of the following. Being part of the creation of -15 Advanced Tactical Fighter was seriously cool. At an unrelated project meeting with the head of McDonnell Douglas (MDC) military aircraft and several other participants I noticed an Israeli Air Force newspaper on his bulletin board. It was from the head of the Israeli Air Force. He wrote: "I Thought you would enjoy knowing the true quality of your F-15." There was a picture of a F-15 without its right wing. In a training accident its right wing was destroyed but the pilot managed to control the spin with considerable skill, lots of afterburner thrust, and an amazingly airframe capable of ridiculous lift. The pilot landed without incident if you think landing a one wing airplane at 260 knots is without incident. I found a video below.

Reaction Score

View attachment 87424
A long time (1977?) ago I saw the Blue Angels at Miramar (Top Gun home), and they were great. Also that day, an F-14 recreated its legendary Paris Air Show debut. Most spectacular flight I’ve ever seen. You can read about it at www.topedge.com.

Reaction Score
Great idea for a thread, Nan. Thank you.

Out of the lots of excellent entries here, I'm with those of you favoring HuskyPhan's priceless experience. Enjoy every minute!

My cool experience pales to some above, but it is still super enjoyable if one is a fan of The Lord Of The Rings.

I've been re-reading the books, about halfway through The Two Towers, and was happily surprised a week ago to learn that The Return of the King movie would be recycled in theaters all over as a 20th anniversary celebration. Sure enough, it played April 13 at the local AMC theater in Danbury CT and will be shown a final time this coming Wednesday. I saw it in theaters several times back in 2003 and several more over times the years on DVD (the extended edition, of course). Still, seeing it April 13 was so exciting, and I'll be going back Wednesday with a couple of friends who've never seen it. It gets better each viewing.

I try to fight off hyperbole when it comes to 'greatest this or that,' but I'd have a hard time coming up with a movie I've ever enjoyed more.

I hope those of you who are also LOTR fans are getting to see it again on the big screen. It's well worth the effort to get there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A long time (1977?) ago I saw the Blue Angels at Miramar (Top Gun home), and they were great. Also that day, an F-14 recreated its legendary Paris Air Show debut. Most spectacular flight I’ve ever seen. You can read about it at www.topedge.com.
A few months ago, I found out that a kid I coached is a Marine Harrier pilot now. Great kid and an Annapolis grad.

7865D2FE-39E8-4B4D-9358-9DF2BF23C312.jpeg

Reaction Score
About a month ago, took went to see the Chinese Dance Group "Shun Yen" with my wife, Sister-in-law and her husband at Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington, DC. FANTASTIC SHOW...if you like performing dance troupes. This was the first time in a long time that I have been able to get my wife out for an evening of fun; given that she is totally disabled from advanced MS, and has a form of cancer called Neuro Endocrine Tumors in 4 places in her body. This was our first time at the Kennedy Center, and they were great getting us handicapped seating so she had a great view of the show while in her wheel chair and they made sure we got to our seats and back to the parking garage with no problems.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saw my 8 year old granddaughter score 7 soccer goals today. Of course her league doesn’t use goaltenders but the net is only 4 feet wide. But none of the other kids can score like her.

Not that recently, (5 years ago) but the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian Chins might be the coolest man made thing I’ve ever seen in person - photos and film don’t nearly capture it - and I’m lucky to have seen some amazing man made things but the Warriors, thousands of them, are mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom