Cool, local anniversary getaway ideas... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cool, local anniversary getaway ideas...

Reaction Score
Although a little out of season, big fan of long island wine country. groton car ferry is reasonable and convenient

Reaction Score
Otesaga Hotel in Cooperstown. Baseball HOF and Ommegang Brewery ...

Reaction Score
Ogunquit, ME has been my go to weekend get away the last few years. Handful of great restaurants, completely walk-able, and lots of shops for wife.
Not a bad recommendation either. The bed and breakfasts there aren't too expensive. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law stayed at a B&B there last summer and they said it was great.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I second that suggestion. Some very good restaurants, good bars, nice downtown that's not too big but big enough for a day or two of walking around and checking it out. Some of the bars are on the water so you can hang out on the deck with an adult beverage. Cool vibe there as you wanted. Not pretentious like Newport. Plus you're close to beaches and other outdoor activities. Or shopping at the Kittery Outlets if you want to do that (not that I would!).

Here's a good web site to check out for Portsmouth, Visit Portsmouth, NH and the Seacoast!

Sheraton Portsmouth is the best hotel there. Very nice and within walking distance of everything downtown. I'd imagine it's not cheap during July though and I think it's a 2 day minimum if you stay Saturday night. Probably not during the week.
If you want to save a few bucks and stay at the courtyard by Marriott (not downtown), they had a continuous shuttle back and forth. Worked out great for us.

Reaction Score
Thirding southern Maine. The wife and I have done anniversary trips up there. York, Kennebunkport, Portland, etc. There's a nice mix of things to do and complete serenity.

Southern Maine works for me. Wife and I visit either Portland or Kennebunkport annually for an extended weekend and last year for #50 we went to Kennebunkport.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lots of good suggestions here, but not for July that fit your other criteria. Driving to/from Portland, ME on a summer weekend is a PITA, and Burlington, VT is too far per your specs.

I know you said you do NYC a lot and are hoping for something different this time, and I hear that because we are often in the same boat. But when we were in your shoes looking to do our first overnight sans kids for our anniversary many years ago, that's what we chose because I knew we were only getting one night away and I wanted to make the best use of our time. For me, that means not a lot of time in the car, and especially not in traffic. NYC is great in the summer imo, and very often a very good value. And I love the train because it's generally worry-free and you can start your vacation the moment you step on it.

Because we were limited to one night, we lived it up and spent almost as much as we would have if we were going much farther away. Being pampered, even if only for a night, was wonderful--especially at that time. Got a nice room at the Mercer Hotel in Soho, went out for a great dinner and saw a Broadway show. Got hammered in the neighborhood and spent a fair amount of time just enjoying the room, which was pretty sweet (including an incredibly comfortable bed and one of the nicest bathrooms I've ever seen). Had a great breakfast the next morning and then got on the train to head back to reality, very refreshed after "only" one night away.

Reaction Score
I loved Portland Maine when I lived there between August 2005 and December 2008 as a college person/recent grad. I have not been back since 2008 but I have heard it has become super hipster and more gentrified and the prices have followed (I mean, there was always Strange Maine, Bullmoose and Mexacali Blues as far as hipster is concerned even in 05). BTW, I don't know what it is with hipsters and yuppies and not being discerning about prices/not finding deals, maybe there is a correlation between being those things and having mom and dads money. But, from what I have heard from people who stayed in the region after I left in 08, things are quite expensive now...Anyway before I digress, I am not sure it is so cheap anymore, sadly. I rented a place for 575 right across from Deering Oaks Park in 07 and 08 that was just such an awesome place to live. I shudder to think what the price must be now for the same apartment.

Portsmouth, NH is cool and maybe hasn't been hit by the super trendy train that seems to have made a home in Pland.

Or go south and enjoy Washington DC. I lived there for nearly three years between August 2011 and May 2014. I made my own little book (quite nice) that I gave to a gf at the time about all the things we did together in DC. Every weekend for at least 6 months we found something different to do, most of the time on both Saturday and Sunday and never the same thing each weekend, and I still had tons of other things I did before I met her the year before. Any way, THANK GOD I took the book from her the last time I saw her, ahaha. But I can look at the and tell you (or anyone) all sorts of awesome under the radar things to do and see in DC. I consider myself to be quite knowledgable of the city and, per sqaure mile, I do not think there is a city in the world that beats DC as far as things to do and see (monuments, musuems, etc.). At least none out of the 100s and 100s I have visited. There is just soooo much. Once you get to know it real well and all the hidden gems, it is a magical place! Great city.

Philadelphia is a cool city. I love walking around the Penn U area and the area where the rowing regettas take place. In HS I went to 3 straight regettas and competed (2000, 01, 02) but now the name of the race escapes me.

Spent 4 nights in Portland last summer. Found it unbelievably overpriced for what it is.
Just verifies what I have been hearing, true pity. Was not always like that. I will never forget some of those 2 dollar buritos I would get with an ex at the time every Friday back in, had to be 07 and/or 08. I got 2, she got 1. 6 bucks plus tax. Sighhh.

If you stay in CT I am kind of biased towards the SE shoreline where I grew up: Mystic (seaport), Essex, Gilletes Castle, go from town to town and find your little slice of beach heaven if the temps cooperate. Even the Grisold Inn in Old lyme and just ride around the town centers of OL, Saybrook, Guildford, Clinton, Deep river, Essex, etc.

Just go to Portland. It isn't that much farther.

Stop in Kittery, Freeport, Saco, or Old Orchard Beach if you wish but the Old Port Area is what you are looking for.

All the other suggestions were good as well. Don't underestimate NYC/Boston either. You don't need leafy woods or a beach to have a nice getaway.

OOB, unless it has changed in the 10 or so years since I have been, big MEH. Always felt a little sketch, ditto Saco.

Good memories of Freeport back in the day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Try to get a room at the Madison Beach Hotel.
Was just at a wedding there. Right on the water, book with booking.com or bookit, Lots of good restaurants in the area and the hotel restaurant is great.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’m planning something similar for the lady as well, and I was curious...

Why no Newport? I’ve never been.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
OP wants July. Saratoga track season is mostly August but looks like it opens this year on July 20 go guess that would work.

A nice summer weekend is Saratoga and the track one day and Tanglewood on the other.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Burlington is great, if you are beer people. If not, then you'd probably miss some of the charm. One more romantic option is to stay at the Von Trapp Lodge in Stowe. Loads of restaurants nearby and a great setting. I like Vermont in the summer.

Closer to CT, and won't break the bank? Every place will be a little pricey. If you really like the beach, the Seacrest in Falmouth is fun. Like a Caribbean resort in that you have a private beach, can order drinks on the beach, they usually have live music, etc. Plus downtown Falmouth has some nice restaurants now, including a great Mexican place. The trick is that I go there Friday morning, check in, leave luggage in the car, hit the beach. Then Saturday morning, get up early, claim a prime spot on the beach, go back to bed. Put luggage in the car, check out and stay there all day. So one night.

Reaction Score
I've done Portland when I was in my 20s and loved it. I think my wife would too, but I'm worried it will be a little too far for her and have her worried the whole time.

We love NYC and have done it many, many times. I'd prefer to do something different for this one.

The Water's Edge is nice... But, we had her bridal shower and our rehearsal dinner there so that one's out.

The Mohonk Mountain House looks pretty sweet...
Mohonk is phenomenal and New Paltz is a lot of fun as well

Reaction Score
Wait. I know I've been married forever, but if you don't take a woman shopping how do you get her to sleep with you?
Ha Ha. Any man who says he never paid for sex is either a virgin or a liar.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I’m planning something similar for the lady as well, and I was curious...

Why no Newport? I’ve never been.
I did a valentine's day in Newport, it was really nice - even with rainy weather. We stayed at the Marriott downtown, quality hotel. Checked out an improv comedy show at the Firehouse Theater. Ate at the Brickhouse Pub, which had a solid beer selection and good food, not too pricey all things considered. There are plenty of bars throughout the downtown. They have various weekend events that could be cool - we missed a wine event that was the next weekend, they have car shows and of course the overpriced mansion tours. Beach and harbor tours as well.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
For those who have been to Portland, is it worth staying downtown? The price is significantly different than the airport rates. And is there anything that's a must-do for a first visit?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
.moe is playing at the Calvin in Northampton Saturday - take in the area and hit the show!
I'll be there

Kennebunkport/Ogunquit is nice this time of year

Reaction Score
Great idea; I'd love to do Portland as well, but I think my wife will need to be closer to my daughter should she stub her toe or something... First trip away and all.
Portland's three hours from Hartford and is a fantastic weekend destination. The food and drink options there are excellent and not at all overpriced. Go Mass Pike->290->495->95 and you go nowhere near Boston traffic.

@huskypantz Yes, it is absolutely worth it to stay downtown or at least near it. You don't have to stay in Old Port, that's the most expensive and centrally located, but there's nothing near the airport/mall worth seeing. You'd be driving/taking cabs lengthy distances to get anywhere that's worth your time. It's worth it to find a place to stay on the peninsula of the city.

Must-see depends on what you'd like. Food - Central Provisions, Eventide Oyster, Duckfat, Holy Donut. Drink - Shipyard Brewery or any pub for beer. Vena's Fizz House, The Jewel Box if you're a cocktail enthusiast. The shops in and around Commercial and Fore Street in Old Port are really good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OP wants July. Saratoga track season is mostly August but looks like it opens this year on July 20 go guess that would work. Otherwise agree as it's a beautiful area.

Bonus - watching fat people paraglide on Lake George.

Saratog’a hasn’t been just August for a long time. This year’s meet is July 20th - September 3rd. “The August place to be” has long ago dropped the four week meet.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sagamore - Lake George (hate the town but the lake is nice as is the hotel)

Mirror Lake Inn - Lake Placid

Saratoga - Track, restaurants, bars, etc
Track is not open until the end of July.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom