Cool, local anniversary getaway ideas... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cool, local anniversary getaway ideas...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sagamore - Lake George (hate the town but the lake is nice as is the hotel)

Mirror Lake Inn - Lake Placid

Saratoga - Track, restaurants, bars, etc

OP wants July. Saratoga track season is mostly August but looks like it opens this year on July 20 go guess that would work. Otherwise agree as it's a beautiful area.

Bonus - watching fat people paraglide on Lake George.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Just my opinion but Newport is the most overrated New England destination. I too am soulless.

I will say there can be frustrations in July when the population triples.

I personally like it about mid-september.

Still nice weather, the beaches are wide open and you can eat at any restaurant you want, while it's still basically summer season for the community for another week or two.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Northampton is fun.

OP said he was married, not a Lesbian :oops:.

But seriously, Northampton a cool little hamlet
I've done Portland when I was in my 20s and loved it. I think my wife would too, but I'm worried it will be a little too far for her and have her worried the whole time.

We love NYC and have done it many, many times. I'd prefer to do something different for this one.

The Water's Edge is nice... But, we had her bridal shower and our rehearsal dinner there so that one's out.

The Mohonk Mountain House looks pretty sweet...

Saybrook point Inn.

Reaction Score
I was going to help out. But then I saw no Newport and realized you don't have a soul.

(I am biased toward Narragansett though as well).

To be fair... I like Newport. But we've been there a lot and any accommodation for a July weekend costs a zillion dollars.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just go to Portland. It isn't that much farther.

Stop in Kittery, Freeport, Saco, or Old Orchard Beach if you wish but the Old Port Area is what you are looking for.

All the other suggestions were good as well. Don't underestimate NYC/Boston either. You don't need leafy woods or a beach to have a nice getaway.

Reaction Score
We have been doing Saratoga for the past 7 years...a lot of fun during track season..and I'm not someone that gambles on horses except for this trip...great restaurants, lake, SPAC...a very charming place

Mohonk Mtn house is very nice...old style hotel but can be VERY pricey in the summer..and gets sold out quickly. Not much else to do except the stuff at the resort.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
OP wants July. Saratoga track season is mostly August but looks like it opens this year on July 20 go guess that would work. Otherwise agree as it's a beautiful area.

Bonus - watching fat people paraglide on Lake George.

Going to Saratoga for the weekend this weekend. My daughter rowing in the regatta up there.
Was smart and booked a gig Friday night at Putnam place downtown which pays for my weekend lodging.
Saratoga not cheap on the lodging front.

Hey @Deepster guess where I’m staying, and guess why?

Yup, just for this weekend I’m going to be the Baron.

Reaction Score
Airbnb NYC. We've been there for our anniversary a few times now. Its easy to go on a budget if you plan ahead and are careful (we even took free hotel for timeshare sales pitch) There are hotel deals and airbnb can be very reasonable. See a show, museums, restaurants, pubs, cocktails, shopping, walking around, etc..... We love it. We even take the kids once in a while but then it gets expensive.

Reaction Score
To be fair... I like Newport. But we've been there a lot and any accommodation for a July weekend costs a zillion dollars.
Next town over, Middletown, is a minute away & much cheaper.

Reaction Score
Would like to do Block, but it would be too time consuming or too expensive to fly, etc... Thanks so much for all the recs! Some places I had not considered.

Reaction Score
Portsmouth NH. Great little downtown for a small city.
I second that suggestion. Some very good restaurants, good bars, nice downtown that's not too big but big enough for a day or two of walking around and checking it out. Some of the bars are on the water so you can hang out on the deck with an adult beverage. Cool vibe there as you wanted. Not pretentious like Newport. Plus you're close to beaches and other outdoor activities. Or shopping at the Kittery Outlets if you want to do that (not that I would!).

Here's a good web site to check out for Portsmouth, Visit Portsmouth, NH and the Seacoast!

Sheraton Portsmouth is the best hotel there. Very nice and within walking distance of everything downtown. I'd imagine it's not cheap during July though and I think it's a 2 day minimum if you stay Saturday night. Probably not during the week.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Would like to do Block, but it would be too time consuming or too expensive to fly, etc... Thanks so much for all the recs! Some places I had not considered.
I always assumed that but actually it's not bad. $99 round trip or $59 one way. You could pitch to the wife as an emergency option. Flight is like 12 minutes.

Reaction Score
I second that suggestion. Some very good restaurants, good bars, nice downtown that's not too big but big enough for a day or two of walking around and checking it out. Some of the bars are on the water so you can hang out on the deck with an adult beverage. Cool vibe there as you wanted. Not pretentious like Newport. Plus you're close to beaches and other outdoor activities. Or shopping at the Kittery Outlets if you want to do that (not that I would!).

Sheraton Portsmouth is the best hotel there. Very nice and within walking distance of everything downtown. I'd imagine it's not cheap during July though.

Wait. I know I've been married forever, but if you don't take a woman shopping how do you get her to sleep with you?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Wait. I know I've been married forever, but if you don't take a woman shopping how do you get her to sleep with you?
You are one whipped dude!

Reaction Score
Going to Saratoga for the weekend this weekend. My daughter rowing in the regatta up there.
Was smart and booked a gig Friday night at Putnam place downtown which pays for my weekend lodging.
Saratoga not cheap on the lodging front.

Hey @Deepster guess where I’m staying, and guess why?

Yup, just for this weekend I’m going to be the Baron.

The Isle of Malta?!?! Beautiful.

In Saratoga, try this place: Hattie's Restaurant
If you're staying on the outskirts, see if you're anywhere near this place. Best italian I've had in a long, long time: About Augie's | Augie's Family Style Italian Restaurant (Don't be swayed by prices, it's family style)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Sheraton Portsmouth is the best hotel there. Very nice and within walking distance of everything downtown. I'd imagine it's not cheap during July though.
I third Portsmouth!

Also Great Barrington part of Mass. Just stay away from @mauconnfan.

Anywhere in northwest Ct. Essex, Madison or Guilford.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My wife and I will be celebrating five years of marital survival in July and would like to do our first getaway sans child. We've done lots of stuff away from the New England area but not much within it. So I'm looking for any suggestions for somewhat local places (2-3 hours tops from Hartford) that will not break the bank as well. Because, you know, three-year-old. Looking for cool vibe, restaurants, bars, etc. but not Newport/Cape. Thanks for any suggestions!

Have you considered a youth hostel in Bed Stuy Brooklyn or a motel in Staten Island? Try either one of those and then you'll be thankful for all that you have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom