Cook destroyed us | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cook destroyed us

Reaction Score
I wish Cook was on our team. I like that kid a lot.

Actually Cobb is showing he can be something close to that - and now that he is emerging the guards MUST feed the man more consistently like they did on Thursday night for awhile. As was noted in the chat room and several other threads on here last night, our guards all seemed to revert to last year's version of very offensive, stagnant, 1 on everybody, windshield wiper offense: dribble, dribble, dribble, drive down the lane and get caught with no plan or chuck up an ill-conceived 3-pointer.

Even Tarin Smith seemed to morph into Antwoine Anderson for a game (seriously, last night Smith played a mostly horrible game, while AG, Jalen and CV were mostly crappy too).

Feeding that BIG DOG (Cobb) down low and in the high post consistently must become a staple part of our offense from here on out.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Correct we have no answer for a potential first round pick in the nba draft. He’s 6 8 or 6 9 with handle that can shoot. If he continues he’ll be a lock first round pick. He can guard guards...

Reaction Score
Actually Cobb is showing he can be something close to that - and now that he is emerging the guards MUST feed the man more consistently like they did on Thursday night for awhile. As was noted in the chat room and several other threads on here last night, our guards all seemed to revert to last year's version of very offensive, stagnant, 1 on everybody, windshield wiper offense: dribble, dribble, dribble, drive down the lane and get caught with no plan or chuck up an ill-conceived 3-pointer.

Even Tarin Smith seemed to morph into Antwoine Anderson for a game (seriously, last night Smith played a mostly horrible game, while AG, Jalen and CV were mostly crappy too).

Feeding that BIG DOG (Cobb) down low and in the high post consistently must become a staple part of our offense from here on out.

I love Cobb. He is certainly an amazing story and deserves to be a fan favorite. He averaged 14.5 and 10 at MSG. No reason to think he cant be a very good player for us all season. HOWEVER, Cook is just on another level entirely. When a guy that size can truly play like a 3, he is something special.

Cobb is good and will play overseas.

Cook is great and will play in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Ok this one is pretty simple and our guys never figured it out. Cook is a monster and supposedly can shoot it too. We didn't make him shoot it instead elected to let him drive to the hole without much resistance. What did he do consistently that Polley and others could have at least done? His go to drive is to the left, how many times did you see him go to the right? With that pattern a charge should've been taken or at least make him show us he can go right, we never made him do that or make him shoot. I would've eventually given him space and my defender space while making him prove he can make a jumper instead of giving him his 80% shot making of the lay in or dunk.

He's good but I feel we made him look even better than he is. Size, strength for the NBA not not a shoe in but we certainly made him look that way.

Reaction Score
I love Cobb. He is certainly an amazing story and deserves to be a fan favorite. He averaged 14.5 and 10 at MSG. No reason to think he cant be a very good player for us all season. HOWEVER, Cook is just on another level entirely. When a guy that size can truly play like a 3, he is something special.

Cobb is good and will play overseas.

Cook is great and will play in the NBA.

Andddddddddd.... I never said Cobb is equal to Cook HuskyBass. Man, I really hate when guys on here mis-quote to make a point. I obviously watched last night's game too, and would never, ever say that Cobb is anywhere near Cook. That wasn't my point anyway, so step off.

My quite legitimate point is that Cobb does bring our team something we have not had for awhile... something we have needed desperately. An active big man who can catch a ball, make a legitimate move, and then finish with at least a decent looking shot that has a reasonable chance of going in the hoop. And going forward, for our offense to reach its full potential this year, our guards need to make sure to keep Cobb involved in the offense, which is something we have not done in our offense for quite a few years. I for one hope that Hurley makes it a point of emphasis from this point forward.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Looked like Kawhi Leonard out there last night. Absolutely no answer.

Reaction Score
Andddddddddd.... I never said Cobb is equal to Cook HuskyBass. Man, I really hate when guys on here mis-quote to make a point. I obviously watched last night's game too, and would never, ever say that Cobb is anywhere near Cook. That wasn't my point anyway, so step off.

My quite legitimate point is that Cobb does bring our team something we have not had for awhile... something we have needed desperately. An active big man who can catch a ball, make a legitimate move, and then finish with at least a decent looking shot that has a reasonable chance of going in the hoop. And going forward, for our offense to reach its full potential this year, our guards need to make sure to keep Cobb involved in the offense, which is something we have not done in our offense for quite a few years. I for one hope that Hurley makes it a point of emphasis from this point forward.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was simply admiring just how good Cook is. We rarely see a guy that big and strong who can take it to the rim from 15-20' out and look that comfortable doing it.

I agree that Cobb should get lots of touches. He can score well and has the ability to kick it out for open looks. I think he can (will?) be a bigger part of this team than all of us thought.

Reaction Score
The kid who killed us is the 6-11 kid that had 18 points inthe first half (which he will never achieve again).

Reaction Score
Precious is the guy that will match up well with this type of player.

And one foul from Kofi will scare him off for the rest of the game.

Akok is an interesting case. Too skinny to bang, but his length could bother a guy like that outside

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
im sorry but nobody is matching Cook in the big ten, or anywhere, we fell victim to him. hes gonna be a monster, period. sometimes, we just have to accept the fact that the other team has a guy who will outjump and outpower us aerially and we just have to deal with it.
Did you watch him vs Oregon?
Not the same guy
He just happens to be lucky that UConn had no one who was on the court who could handle him. I felt Q could have slowed hijm done in spots - he does have 5 fouls to give
The kid Cook is athletic but can be shut down because he is not a shooting threat and showed it vs Oregon

Reaction Score
Not the physicality. No one had the size and foot speed besides Cobb to stay with him. Garza was an issue too. We’ve always had problems with this. I’m sure Hurley will address with going forward with recruiting
Cobb didn't have the foot speed to stay with him either. Only our guards did but they got overpowered by him. It was just a bad matchup with our current roster makeup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom