Contentment with the new big East as a permanent home | The Boneyard

Contentment with the new big East as a permanent home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If UConn never leaves Xavier, St John’s, Butler, Villanova, DePaul, Georgetown, Creighton, Marquette, Seton Hall, and Providence, is everyone fine with that?
P5 membership has never been further away. With Big 12 and SEC expansion, and the Alliance, it seems as though the last boat has left the harbor, and football is steering the craft.
Has UConn reached its endgame with the above teams? Are these the rivals that will shape UConn’s future?
The Big East contract will be coming up at the same time a lot of other conferences will renegotiate theirs. Since this is likely going to be UConn’s generational home, is there a 12th school you’d like to see snag that last share in the current contract? Perhaps a Dayton or VCU? Xavier and Butler were invited from the same league, so perhaps they would be good partners.

Reaction Score
Another school will get in the conference the same way we did, when Fox demands it.

Reaction Score
Pack the non-conf schedule and hope the other teams can field good squads and it’s fine. Better than the AAC but not where a flagship state U with our pedigree and commitment to sports should be
Of course the flagships in the NEWBIE are UConn and nobody. Cincinatti Is a major national university with respected medical and doctoral programs and a world renowned hospital associated with it. Tulane is nationally respected. I could go on. Of course The NOOB has Seton Hall, which is known for being in New Jersey and Providence which is, well, in Providence. Outside of Georgetown the NOOB IS an a bunch of interchangeable commuter schools. Except Villanova, which is little BC.

Reaction Score
No other P5 conference is inviting us anyway, with the football team the way it is and likely to be, for the indefinite future. Too much of a gap unless recruiting improves exponentially.

As long as Villanova stays and they probably will, we should be okay with the Big East. I see their football record is pretty good so far and their competition is okay so I hope they don't get invited out.

As said by another poster, a strong OOC schedule and a good record by the other conference teams is a strong argument for staying where we are.

Reaction Score
you just described the Cincinnati-less AAC
Funny how they actually committed to football and are going to be in a basketball conference we can only dream about. Of course MSG. The NOOB has fewer top 25 preseason teams than THE AAC in the 24-7 preseason rankings, and don’t even compare it with the B12. Villanova is to the NOOB what Gonzaga is to the west coast conference. The NOOB is a nice regional league with a single great team. If it is our long term home it means UConn has essentially given up being a major athletic power and is content being a regional program, essentially UMass. That, fellas and gals is reality.

Reaction Score
There’s no other conference like the old big East obviously. Big East is usually a top 3-4 basketball conference, with not much separation really between those top spots. I don’t see them leaving unless there is major major realignment.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The only way we leave is if the ACC gets double raided by the SEC and B1G in about a decade.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Funny how they actually committed to football and are going to be in a basketball conference we can only dream about. Of course MSG. The NOOB has fewer top 25 preseason teams than THE AAC in the 24-7 preseason rankings, and don’t even compare it with the B12. Villanova is to the NOOB what Gonzaga is to the west coast conference. The NOOB is a nice regional league with a single great team. If it is our long term home it means UConn has essentially given up being a major athletic power and is content being a regional program, essentially UMass. That, fellas and gals is reality.
This is a good bit but I think you need to workshop it a little more. Going from NEWBIE to NOOB was a good start but overall it still needs some tightening up.

Reaction Score
Most of the AAC schools are actually commuter schools, what a weird put down to use against the BE given that context. I can understand not drinking the Big East cool-aid, although I think most of that sentiment comes from football fans who misunderstand our schools basketball first identity. Where you lose me is the constant AAC staning, as an alumni working in NYC it is hard to overstate how relieved I am to no longer be associated with any of those schools.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
1) Did @Palatine steal @freescooter 's password?
2) Name a better alternative. If anyone seriously thinks that the nAAC (NOCUSA?) is a better permanent home, they need their head examined.

Reaction Score
At the risk of feeding the troll, your Big East-WCC analogy is utterly inept. It starts off pretty good, because Gonzaga and 'Nova are pretty comparable. It falls off sharply after that. UConn is historically comparable or superior to those two, and they will hopefully be back to that level soon. Every other team in the Big East is somewhere between comparable and far superior to St. Mary's. After that, the rest of the WCC consists of once-every-10-years tournament teams or worse, while the rest of the Big East consists of teams that are tourney hopefuls almost every year. Except poor DePaul...

Reaction Score
Don't you get the fact that FOOTBALL is the anchor dragging us down? Now go away and think about that...

Reaction Score
So far, UConn has not progressed that far in the NCAA tournament. Let's wait before praising the so-called New Big East.
I was under the impression we had to win our own games in the tournament and not rely on our conference mates to do that for us. You learn something new on the Boneyard everyday!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is what it is. I'm probably too old at this point to keep worrying about it. College sports may completely impload and I'd probably consider that a good thing. If we land someplace better, great.

Reaction Score
I still think it's hilarious that people think we would have gotten into the Big 12 like Cincy did. I also think it's hilarious that even if we got into the Big 12, people think it would be a good fit for us. Big 12 is basically just a roided-up AAC. Sure, we could make more money, but we'd be a geographical outcast (again) and all our sports would suffer just like they did in the AAC due to the geographical challenges. Literally selling out to be a punching bag. Blows my mind how people think we didn't make the right choice going to the Big East when we did. Is the Big East best case scenario? No. But it's a hell a lot better than being in the AAC and probably better than being in the B12 when you look at factors besides money.

The grass isn't always greener. Look at what Rutgers has become in the B10 -- running astronomical deficits to try to keep up -- and they aren't close to keeping up.

Now, if the ACC or Big 10 comes knocking you drop everything, burn the Big East Bridge, and do it. Will they ever come knocking with Rutgers and BC blocking us essentially? I don't think they will in their current state. However, with the rise of NIL and teams more willing to abandon traditional ties (Texas, OU) we are poised for another massive restructure in the coming decade. If we'll be a part of that will likely hinge on the next FB head coach hire.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
This is our future conference schedule had we stayed in the AAC:

Wichita
Tulsa
SMU
Tulane
Colorado State
Air Force
Temple
Memphis
USF
ECU
UAB

If you rather share a basketball conference with this mess, I don't know what to tell ya...
But the NOOB is just Villanova and a bunch of commuter schools!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom