Connecting portable generator to transfer switch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Connecting portable generator to transfer switch

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I had an electrician install a transfer switch for my portable generator so I don't have to run cords from the generator throughout the house.

Is this just plug and play, or do I need to do something at the panel?

If been told there are risks if done incorrectly.

Reaction Score
I bought a generator pre-Sandy and had extension cords running through the house for 8 days. But you can't plug in a furnace so it got cold. We added the transfer switch shortly after and I've only used it twice for a couple hours.

The danger you mentioned is gone because of the transfer switch. The risk is where you "backfeed" the generator through a dryer-type plug. You can electrocute the power company guys.

When you plug in the generator, nothing will happen. You need to switch over the circuits that you want the generator to power (vs. the street, as mentioned by CL82). It's simple and you shouldn't hurt anyone!

EDIT: Looks like you got the answers re your set-up. Good luck! The only issue I had is that the plug isn't easy to align sometimes. It's like a freakin' puzzle!
A lineman friend of mine told me that they are supposed to assume everything is hot. Anyone who gets electrocuted isn't working smart.

Reaction Score
I bought a generator pre-Sandy and had extension cords running through the house for 8 days. But you can't plug in a furnace so it got cold. We added the transfer switch shortly after and I've only used it twice for a couple hours.

The danger you mentioned is gone because of the transfer switch. The risk is where you "backfeed" the generator through a dryer-type plug. You can electrocute the power company guys.

When you plug in the generator, nothing will happen. You need to switch over the circuits that you want the generator to power (vs. the street, as mentioned by CL82). It's simple and you shouldn't hurt anyone!

EDIT: Looks like you got the answers re your set-up. Good luck! The only issue I had is that the plug isn't easy to align sometimes. It's like a freakin' puzzle!

I'm surprised, because a furnace typically doesn't require much electricity.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised, because a furnace typically doesn't require much electricity.
You can buy a furnace switch that you can run off an extendion cord from the generator.
It will become isolated from the breaker box. The burner and the hot water circulators(if thats the system type) dont draw that much as you say. Not sure how much a forced hot air system draws. Home Depot/Lowes has them.

Reaction Score
A lineman friend of mine told me that they are supposed to assume everything is hot. Anyone who gets electrocuted isn't working smart.
When they are in terrible weather for many hours, mistakes can happen much more easily.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well if you don't isolate your generator it will try to power the neighborhood so that alone is a good reason to isolate it. Also if the power comes back on your generator isn't going to react well to that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You guys are reminding me why I don't have one and just go to the Hawthorn Suites down the road for $97 a night instead.

Maybe my next (final) house.

Reaction Score
Haven’t lost power since I bought a generator and an interlock installed in my previous house 6 years ago. Go figure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom