Connecting portable generator to transfer switch | The Boneyard

Connecting portable generator to transfer switch

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I had an electrician install a transfer switch for my portable generator so I don't have to run cords from the generator throughout the house.

Is this just plug and play, or do I need to do something at the panel?

If been told there are risks if done incorrectly.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I had an electrician install a transfer switch for my portable generator so I don't have to run cords from the generator throughout the house.

Master transfer switch should disconnect from street power and energize only those circuits you are running off the generator. That could be the whole house, if your generator can handle the load, or just selected circuits. Surprised that your electrician didn't walk you through all of this.

Reaction Score

I bought a generator pre-Sandy and had extension cords running through the house for 8 days. But you can't plug in a furnace so it got cold. We added the transfer switch shortly after and I've only used it twice for a couple hours.

The danger you mentioned is gone because of the transfer switch. The risk is where you "backfeed" the generator through a dryer-type plug. You can electrocute the power company guys.

When you plug in the generator, nothing will happen. You need to switch over the circuits that you want the generator to power (vs. the street, as mentioned by CL82). It's simple and you shouldn't hurt anyone!

EDIT: Looks like you got the answers re your set-up. Good luck! The only issue I had is that the plug isn't easy to align sometimes. It's like a freakin' puzzle!

CL82

Reaction Score
The only issue I had is that the plug isn't easy to align sometimes. It's like a freakin' puzzle!
If done right. (The plug locks in the socket to avoid the risk of pulling out of the wall leaving a live exposed lead.)

CL82

Reaction Score
Best thing we ever did was get a whole house (automatic) generator. We lose power a lot. No more freakin hassles!
I'll get around to this eventually. I have friends and neighbors who all laugh about it when the power goes out. Just a momentary blip and the switch over and then life goes like normal.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I bought a generator pre-Sandy and had extension cords running through the house for 8 days. But you can't plug in a furnace so it got cold. We added the transfer switch shortly after and I've only used it twice for a couple hours.

The danger you mentioned is gone because of the transfer switch. The risk is where you "backfeed" the generator through a dryer-type plug. You can electrocute the power company guys.

When you plug in the generator, nothing will happen. You need to switch over the circuits that you want the generator to power (vs. the street, as mentioned by CL82). It's simple and you shouldn't hurt anyone!

EDIT: Looks like you got the answers re your set-up. Good luck! The only issue I had is that the plug isn't easy to align sometimes. It's like a freakin' puzzle!

I think my biggest problem is trying to run it in the garage now that they've installed a CO detector. I'll put near the doors, but I worry about rain hitting the generator.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think my biggest problem is trying to run it in the garage now that they've installed a CO detector. I'll put near the doors, but I worry about rain hitting the generator.
Strongly suggest that you do not run a generator in your garage, especially if it is attached to the house.

Here's a DYI video of a generator shed. (FYI - just googled it, didn't actually watch it.)

Reaction Score
Yup. My house was best set-up to put the plug at the back of the house. No CO2 issues, but it’s exposed to the elements. I haven’t had to use it during rain/snow yet. I’ve looked into some type of housing, but I’ve only found kits (and I’m not building something). Currently I have it in a Rubbermaid shed where the front can open fully, but the lid can stay on. I figured I can try that. I also found this cover that looks cool (and cheap). If I had to use the generator more often I’d probably pick one up. GenTent Running Cover -Universal Kit - Standard Edition 3000-Watt to 10000-Watt Portable Generators-GT10KB4UTB - The Home Depot

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've been considering getting one. Don't lose power often, but we have well water and no gas to the house, so we lose electric, we lose everything. @temery and others, how are you powering it? I was concerned about storing gas or propane in sufficient quantities, especially since gasoline degrades so rapidly.

Reaction Score
I've been considering getting one. Don't lose power often, but we have well water and no gas to the house, so we lose electric, we lose everything. @temery and others, how are you powering it? I was concerned about storing gas or propane in sufficient quantities, especially since gasoline degrades so rapidly.
yeah our sewers run on grinder pumps so when the power was out, so was the toilet. When we got the whole-house gen they also installed 2 big propane tanks to run it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

My next generator will be a propane inverter generator.

Reaction Score

You can easily have your generator feed the entire box....and thus your heating system...I did it for Sandy without the transfer switch. Just have to be sure to turn off the main...I was lucky to find the twist lock plug and a generator at the Depot at 7am when the power went out...had every room filled with guests..was surprised that a little 30 amp had everything working...even the dishwasher...only time we overloaded the generator was when my father in law demanded toast with his breakfast...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@NJHusky I'm told a 30 amp cord can plug right into a dryer receptacle. I was having my old 80 amp fuse box upgraded, so it was only a little more to set up a generator connection.

Reaction Score
Don't worry about the rain impacting the use of the generator.

I've had ours out in the snow and rain a lot. At one time during Irene it was like 8-10 days or something and it seems to be out in the snow a few times every winter.

When I'm too old to lift it and put it outside and run it then I'll get propane and hopefully bury those god awful tanks or paint them camo and stick them up in the woods on a pad. I always have 20-30 gallons of gasoline on hand in portable cans for the plow truck, chain saw, atv, etc. so fuel isn't a huge issue. It'll run a good long time on a fill as I'm sure yours will.

Reaction Score
Hijacking the thread since there seems to be some experienced generator guys here.

I wound up with a 5,000w Husky (Home Depot) generator with a Subaru engine. It actually got really good reviews. I think because of the engine. But I also didn't have a choice since the store literally stole a Generac I had bought from them and had nothing else left by the time they admitted it. They did give me 25% off the Husky to apologize.

My biggest fear is that I use it infrequently, but it will die when I need it. I've read that many of the portable generators can be unreliable. I used it for a number of hours during Sandy, but only a few times since. I run it every 6 months or so (I know it should be more), and run all the gas out of the engine before shutting it down again. I actually have a service guy picking it up along with my snowblower, for service. The gas that's in the tank is a bit old, even though I added stabilizer, so I'm having the service guy empty the tank. Anything else that I should be doing? Or does anyone have a recommendation for a unit up to 7500w? Other than Honda, which is just too expensive for me even though I've never read a bad thing.

Reaction Score
1571340478933.png

Reaction Score
Hijacking the thread since there seems to be some experienced generator guys here.

I wound up with a 5,000w Husky (Home Depot) generator with a Subaru engine. It actually got really good reviews. I think because of the engine. But I also didn't have a choice since the store literally stole a Generac I had bought from them and had nothing else left by the time they admitted it. They did give me 25% off the Husky to apologize.

My biggest fear is that I use it infrequently, but it will die when I need it. I've read that many of the portable generators can be unreliable. I used it for a number of hours during Sandy, but only a few times since. I run it every 6 months or so (I know it should be more), and run all the gas out of the engine before shutting it down again. I actually have a service guy picking it up along with my snowblower, for service. The gas that's in the tank is a bit old, even though I added stabilizer, so I'm having the service guy empty the tank. Anything else that I should be doing? Or does anyone have a recommendation for a unit up to 7500w? Other than Honda, which is just too expensive for me even though I've never read a bad thing.
The Husky with the Suburu engine is a good one. Sounds like your doing just about everything. During spring and summer months I keep the tank dry by using one of those hand siphoning devices. I get out as much as I can then run the rest of the gas out. Think the only thing you left out is maintaining the oil level as they have a low level switch that shuts the engine off to protect itself. Always keep an eye on that.

Reaction Score
@NJHusky I'm told a 30 amp cord can plug right into a dryer receptacle. I was having my old 80 amp fuse box upgraded, so it was only a little more to set up a generator connection.
U did the smart thing. I’m just saying there are easy ways to ‘rig’ it in an emergency. Wow 80 amp. Good thing u r upgrading

Reaction Score
After my wife hounded me for 1-2 years after cooking in the fireplace during Sandy (1 week power outage), I got a Generac 22kW. Whole house, including air. Good deal ($8k?) and 10 yr waranty. Looked at a few others, but Generac had the specs and positive feedback from users. And a super reputable service team is in same town. I go shmooze the repair team every other month to keep me in the spotlight as I noticed these things begin to slow after 48 hours of continuos use. 200 W transfer switch. I put a piece of plywood angled over the air input to keep the snow out.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom