Connecticut Sun waive... | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun waive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ConnecticutSun@ConnecticutSun
We've waived Jessica Breland and Stefanie Murphy. The Sun roster now stands at 13 players. http://tinyurl.com/bqjoon7
Retweeted by Jim Fuller
i expect we'll be hearing a lot more from all the WNBA teams as they pare down their rosters...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This makes sense based on what occurred in the Monday night game against the Liberty. Murphy did not play at all (either she was injured or the coaches had already decided to cut her). Breland was the only other player not to play in the first half, and when she started the second half she was not very effective, although she did seem to get better as she settled down. To get to a roster of 11 by the start of the season, I expect that they will cut Dawn Evans (unfortunately) and either Chay Shegog or Mistie Mimms. Although their stats for Monday were similar, I was more impressed with Shegog's play than with Mimms, but Mimms may have a guaranteed contract.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This makes sense based on what occurred in the Monday night game against the Liberty. Murphy did not play at all (either she was injured or the coaches had already decided to cut her). Breland was the only other player not to play in the first half, and when she started the second half she was not very effective, although she did seem to get better as she settled down. To get to a roster of 11 by the start of the season, I expect that they will cut Dawn Evans (unfortunately) and either Chay Shegog or Mistie Mimms. Although their stats for Monday were similar, I was more impressed with Shegog's play than with Mimms, but Mimms may have a guaranteed contract.
Thanks for the report. Mistie Mimms used to be Mistie Bass from Duke? had to think about that one for a minute. they list Mimms as 6'3" or 6'4" depending on where you look, but i didn't think she was that tall.

i'd think they would consider cutting Spencer or Moore.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, Mistie Mimms is indeed the former Mistie Bass.

If you were referring to Jessica Moore, she is not on the Sun roster as of now. She was apparently injured over the winter and is taking this season off to heal the injury and attend graduate school.

Sidney Spencer (in my opinion) looked quite good on Monday night. She and Kara Lawson linked up on a couple of back-door plays -- I wonder if they learned them in Knoxville? Spencer has a 3-point shot that the Sun really need, especially at her size. The wing position continues to be their weak link.

Another possibility that I suspect the Sun will jump at if it presents itself is to cut both Mimms and Shegog and grab back Chante Black (another former Dukie) if she is waived by Tulsa in favor of Vicky Baugh and Glory Johnson. Black was a #1 pick by the Sun a few years ago and was then traded to Tulsa, but she was quite effective and at 6-5 is a very capable backup to Tina.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Joe - I just looked at the team's 2012 roster on line. Moore is listed but Breland and Murphy are not. However, the roster still lists 15 players so I'm confused.

Reaction Score
They are down to 13 right now:

Charles, Jones, Lawson, Montgomery, McCray, T.White, Spencer, Shegog, Evans, Mimms, Hightower, Greene, and Griffin

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
They are down to 13 right now:

Charles, Jones, Lawson, Montgomery, McCray, T.White, Spencer, Shegog, Evans, Mimms, Hightower, Greene, and Griffin

It's still 15 on the WNBA Sun site. Hence the confusion. :confused:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Mimms had a really good game tonight. She brings lots of energy to the game. Shegog looked lost most of the time. She's a project with good potential in a league that can't afford to sit on kids with potential. Evans (unfortunately) is probably at the top of the cut list.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mistie Bass Williams Mims.

Married someone named Williams and got divorced.

Then married someone named Mims.

Her father was Ernest Evans, also known as Chubby Checker.

Lots of names in Mistie's family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer