Connecticut Sun @ Las Vegas Aces - 7/07/18 | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun @ Las Vegas Aces - 7/07/18

Reaction Score
startlu.jpg

Reaction Score
41-40 Aces up at halftime.
Wilson 18 pts, +9
Laney 8 pts 4-5, +9. Terrific player. If Aces had Laney instead of Coffey they would be two games better this year.
Plum +12
Bone +10
Jefferson -10, 0-2
Tuck +10, 1-5

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wilson playing like an MVP candidate. 18pts and 9 rb at the half and the Aces need every point.

Reaction Score
End of 3rd Sun 76-65
Tuck 13 pts +18
Laney 10, +18
Bentley 10, +18

Hamby -18

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What a comeback. Aces close on a 14-3 run to win 94-90
Wilson 34 and McBride 27
Best scoring duo in the league.
Jefferson 9 pts, 5 assists +5
Plum 9 pts +15

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plum had 10 assists and 0 TO's. Those are Sue Bird like numbers. Jefferson w/ 5 assists and 0 TO's, nice combination between the 2 PGs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A’ja and KMac combined for 61. Plum had 9 points and 10 assists. Moriah had 9 points and 5 assists.

Tuck had 20 points.

Vegas is looking like a middle-of-the-pack team.

Reaction Score
My gosh is Tuck good
J. Thomas not the standout she was last year. Her 3 point shot is not the same. I wondered if last year’s shooting would be hard for her to repeat.

Aces 7-5 in last 12 games
Nared and Coffey 3 min each. Perfect.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Vegas is looking like a middle-of-the-pack team.

Most teams are looking middle of the pack, except the really bad teams at the bottom and Phoenix and Seattle are separating themselves at the top. Remember when it was LA and Minnesota and everybody else? What a difference a year makes.

Reaction Score
I liked Wilson as a college player a great deal and knew she was good but she has been exceptional this season for a rookie. I'm glad to read that Jefferson is back. She's not had great health so far in the league and hopefully that's behind her. She's a very gifted point guard.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great Game. Moriah looks great physically going hard all the time and not showing any fatigue. A couple of crash dummy moments as well. She is in complete control out there. Does not hurt that she made 2 clutch free throws at the end to seal the win. :)

I expect Plum and Moriah will be able to play well together for a very long time.

Morgan had I think the best game of her career. Besides her threes, she is finally getting her legs under her and is making those patented smooth and slippery post moves near basket like she did at UConn. Together with a nice offensive game from Gabby, this was a good UConn day. If only Nurse can catch some of her early season mojo.

On a different note, during the post game interview, when McBride was asked what was the motivation for playing so well, she said that it was payback for a loss to Connecticut. I guess the name "Connecticut" must really get to her. ;)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Remember when folks argued that Wilson had been "annointed" Rookie of the Year undeservingly and that Nurse was actually the best rookie?

Good times.

People actually questioned whether she would be a good pro at all... I don’t know what part of her game in college they could’ve possibly seen that alluded to that conclusion.

I will admit this though, I knew A’ja was going to be good. Very good in fact.. but I did not expect her to be this good. And she’s still very green in my opinion.. still adjusting. I still don’t think she handles certain physicality well (Rebekkah Brunson), but she’ll get better. I also think she needs to improve her overall shooting percentage (low 50s) and I would like to see a three point shot, but this too will come. That said, Wilson is WELL on her way to being elite in the league and sooner than I think any of us expected.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
People actually questioned whether she would be a good pro at all... I don’t know what part of her game in college they could’ve possibly seen that alluded to that conclusion.

I will admit this though, I knew A’ja was going to be good. Very good in fact.. but I did not expect her to be this good. And she’s still very green in my opinion.. still adjusting. I still don’t think she handles certain physicality well (Rebekkah Brunson), but she’ll get better. I also think she needs to improve her overall shooting percentage (low 50s) and I would like to see a three point shot, but this too will come. That said, Wilson is WELL on her way to being elite in the league and sooner than I think any of us expected.

I think one thing that has really sped up her development is Coach Lambeer. Who else is better at pushing her to be strong and physical in the post. I suppose part of the reason some at the BY were not as optimistic about Wilson was that her performances (and more precisely the team) performances against UConn were less than stellar.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought the momentum of the game completely shifted when Jefferson checked in late in the 3rd QTR. when healthy, she can be one of the leagues best PGs.

Jefferson, Wilson, McBride, and Plum are far and away the best four players on this aces team. Get them a really talented center and backup SF, and they could become one of the best teams in the league.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great Game. Moriah looks great physically going hard all the time and not showing any fatigue. A couple of crash dummy moments as well. She is in complete control out there. Does not hurt that she made 2 clutch free throws at the end to seal the win. :)

I expect Plum and Moriah will be able to play well together for a very long time.

Morgan had I think the best game of her career. Besides her threes, she is finally getting her legs under her and is making those patented smooth and slippery post moves near basket like she did at UConn. Together with a nice offensive game from Gabby, this was a good UConn day. If only Nurse can catch some of her early season mojo.

On a different note, during the post game interview, when McBride was asked what was the motivation for playing so well, she said that it was payback for a loss to Connecticut. I guess the name "Connecticut" must really get to her. ;)

Losses to Connecticut are sometimes not easily forgotten. Be it to the Sun or the Huskies. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Brutal loss for the Sun. Excellent win for the Aces. LOVED seeing Jefferson out on the court looking fantastic!!

I'll be in Vegas for the summer games next weekend. I'll also attend the Aces game against the Sparks on Sunday. Two of my favorite teams. The Aces have already won as many games as they did last year.

They've got 14 games left. They need to win 9 of their remaining games to guarantee finishing at .500 or better. That may be a bridge too far. A'ja Wilson is the answer to Kayla McBrides' prayers. Which is someone to help her on the offensive end of the court.

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Remember when folks argued that Wilson had been "annointed" Rookie of the Year undeservingly and that Nurse was actually the best rookie?

Good times.

Which folks? We can't have the BY be the only wbb message board where dumb stuff is posted. Let's root them out and shame them! We must stop offending our visitors.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What's even the point of having arguments on a message board if you can't dunk on people when you are completely correct? Don't answer that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom