Connecticut Sun @ Las Vegas Aces - 7/07/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Connecticut Sun @ Las Vegas Aces - 7/07/18

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What's even the point of having arguments on a message board if you can't dunk on people when you are completely correct? Don't answer that.

Harold's or Popeye's? Which was it

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Harold's or Popeye's? Which was it

My local Harold's was closed for the week. You've got to love family-owned/operated establishments. I have a lot of respect for that. Take a week to refresh yourself (and then come back and continue to make inexpensive and delicious fried chicken). I'll have to stop by next weekend.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Remember when folks argued that Wilson had been "anointed" Rookie of the Year undeservingly and that Nurse was actually the best rookie? Good times.

Yes, we remember. I also agree with ConnCat's comment. While Nurse has had 3-4 good to decent games, she has not been consistent. Wilson has from day 1.

As of this morning (Monday July 9) Wilson is 2nd in the league in scoring (21.0 ppg) to Breanna Stewart (22.4 ppg). Wilson has been a starter form day 1, has scored in double figures EVERY game thus far, and has had 8 double-doubles along the way.

We can answer the question of who is the ROY so far right now. We can remove all objectivity and conjecture, and simply go by the numbers.
What other rookie has had a better season than Wilson so far?
2. May we assume that Wilson's skills and production will not retard or lessen the remainder of the season, but only get better?
3. Who's close enough to over take her in the race for ROY. A race in which she is clearly leading the pack.
The league wide rankings for the Player Impact Estimate (PIE), has Wilson ranked 8th. The next rookie ranked is DeShields at #52.
5. Diamond DeShields (Sky) is the only other rookie I can think of that's having a good rookie year, but she is not putting up the numbers Wilson is, nor has she been as CONSISTENT as Wilson has so far this season. There are no other rookies in the top 10 in scoring at this time. :rolleyes:

Answer the first 3 questions, and take note of the 4th & 5th, and you'll have the answer to who is the leading candidate for ROY as of right now, and who will win the award at the end of the season. ;)

Breaking news: Dream Trade Layshia Clarendon, Draft Pick to Sun For Alex Bentley

Last edited by a moderator:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My local Harold's was closed for the week. You've got to love family-owned/operated establishments. I have a lot of respect for that. Take a week to refresh yourself (and then come back and continue to make inexpensive and delicious fried chicken). I'll have to stop by next weekend.

I wonder if they would FedEx meals to NC :p

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Aces (8-12) have won 5 of their last 8 games. They are only 2 games behind the Dream (9-9) for the 8th (and final) playoff spot. The way the Aces are playing, and the momentum they've built up, it's not inconceivable that they could make the playoffs this year. They stumbled coming out of the gate this season, but have righted the ship, and are playing well. Several of their losses were by less than 6 pts.

There are 14 games left on their schedule.
They'd have to win at least 9 of them to have any hope of overtaking the Dream. If they can win 10 of their remaining games, they will assure themselves of a winning record this year. The last year they (as the San Antonio Stars) posted a winning record was 2012 when they finished 21-13. Don't count the Aces out of the playoffs just yet. :cool:

August 19: End of regular season
August 21: Playoffs begin

Playoff format -
  • Under the new post season structure, the eight teams with the highest winning percentages regardless of conference qualify for the playoffs and are seeded based on their record.
  • The number of playoff rounds increased from three to four. The top two seeds receive a bye to the semifinals (third round), and the third and fourth seeds receive a bye to the second round.
  • Teams will be re-seeded after each postseason round.
  • The first and second rounds are single elimination. In the first round, the No. 5 seed hosts the No. 8 seed and the No. 6 seed hosts the No. 7 seed. In the second round, the No. 3 seed hosts the lowest-seeded first-round winner and the No. 4 seed hosts the other first-round winner.
  • The semifinals feature a best-of-five format, with the No. 1 overall seed playing the lowest remaining seed and the No. 2 overall seed meeting the remaining team. The Nos. 1 and 2 seeds will host Games 1, 2 and 5, and the lower-seeded teams will host Games 3 and 4 in their respective series. The WNBA Finals remain best-of-five and follow the same 2-2-1 format.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’ve seen at least parts of most of the Aces games. I thought A’ja would be good, but I thought her limitations might be a problem. She had a few games early with low shooting percentages, but not recently. A’ja is big and strong, so I expected rebounding and shot-blocking to be her fortes. She is also hitting her midrange shots with a good frequency. As Plum and KMac came back, and Moriah got healthy, the defense couldn’t focus on A’ja. I think she’s in the top 5-8 for the MVP race. I don’t expect her to win, but I think she’s the best rookie since Stewie.

Reaction Score
If the Aces make it to 17-17, I think Wilson should be rewarded with MVP. Best rookie ever, even above Parker in 2008 (gasp). Parker just went to a much better team. Lisa Leslie was out pregnant in 2007, which helped LA land the #1 pick.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I’ve seen at least parts of most of the Aces games. I thought A’ja would be good, but I thought her limitations might be a problem. She had a few games early with low shooting percentages, but not recently. A’ja is big and strong, so I expected rebounding and shot-blocking to be her fortes. She is also hitting her midrange shots with a good frequency. As Plum and KMac came back, and Moriah got healthy, the defense couldn’t focus on A’ja. I think she’s in the top 5-8 for the MVP race. I don’t expect her to win, but I think she’s the best rookie since Stewie.

Wilson is now #2 in scoring, #3 in rebounding and #6 in Blocked Shots. If she keeps up her current high trend (2nd Q of season stats are much better than the 1st Q stats) and the ACES make the Playoffs, I would say she is maybe in the top 4 for the MVP race. Stewie is in the Poll position due to her efficiency and leading the Storm to the top record but Wilson is in the conversation imho.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Wilson could win the MVP, but it might take an injury or slump for Stewie not to win it. If Seattle’s record is 10 games better than the Aces, I’d have trouble giving it to A’ja. I think her Q2 improvement is a combination of learning and having KMac in the lineup. Even if she’s not the MVP, A’ja is having a great year. With Moriah in the lineup, it will only get better.

Reaction Score
A rookie getting MVP would be a great story for the league. It would show the league has such great promise.

Back in 2008 when the league was in a very tenuous state with the economy at a low point, the league felt a need for a similar story by making it easier for Parker to win MVP by implementing fan voting for first and only time ever. That’s my theory anyway.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I remember reading an article recently where Kara Lawson said Tina Charles was putting up amazing stats as a rookie, but had no idea what was going on half the time. I bet Wilson is in a similar boat, which means that she, like Charles then, is only going to get better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom