Connecticut Post FOIs E-mails re Expansion | The Boneyard

Connecticut Post FOIs E-mails re Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The next day, shortly after dawn, Pendergast wrote to Herbst complaining that "the Earth seems to be moving ten times faster than normal."
A few hours later, Enright's statement was released to reporters, who were told it originated from Herbst.
That night, Herbst wrote to Pendergast: "I know that everyone wants to help UConn right now, but we are not desperate at all, and some patience is involved¦Ads are not running the discussion around the country and a lot is happening."

Interesting quote from Herbst regarding who the deal makers have been the whole time. And also interesting that she was keeping all the lieutenants in line and making sure everyone knew she was the only one who speaks for the University. There wasn't gonna be any delegating on this issue.

Also might be a clue as to why Pendegast withdrew his name for the AD position. Maybe he doesn't want to deal with all the BS that's going to be going on at the AD level for the next several years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also might be a clue as to why Pendegast withdrew his name for the AD position. Maybe he doesn't want to deal with all the BS that's going to be going on at the AD level for the next several years.

What? When did that happen?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
so if i read this correctly, we could have gone to the acc and still can but the Big wants us and rutgers and if we keep completely quiet about it then were in. so were being quiet about it. thats why espn stated pumping ruty/uconn to the acc becuase they wanted the tv $$ and media lashing out about it and not the Big network to get uconn/ruty/nyc.:D

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What? When did that happen?

Several threads with links on both the football and basketball boards. He is staying with Uconn in the capacity of chief fundraiser and community outreach position.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Several threads with links on both the football and basketball boards. He is staying with Uconn in the capacity of chief fundraiser and community outreach position.
Thanks, I hadn't been on the board or the net today.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
so if i read this correctly, we could have gone to the acc and still can but the Big wants us and rutgers and if we keep completely quiet about it then were in. so were being quiet about it. thats why espn stated pumping ruty/uconn to the acc becuase they wanted the tv $$ and media lashing out about it and not the Big network to get uconn/ruty/nyc.:D

Dan, I also thought the article title was misleading. "Emails Detail UConn's Conference Dilemma?" Like, umm, what? What dilemma? We weren't asked to join any other league...

If anything, the "Emails Detail UConn's Internal Reaction to Conference Realignment."

Reaction Score

Where did it say (or allude to) any of this?

I've reread the article, and I still don't see anything about B1G or ACC wanting us.

TIA

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I think Dan was being sarcastic. At least my reply to him was based on the belief that he was being sarcastic.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Anything I would say would be a guess - I don't know why.

I never thought he would be seriously considered.

Reaction Score
Are the source emails available on the paper's website? I can't seem to find them.

Also, I wonder what is in the protected emails? Do they implicate atty/client privilege? Some other reason for nondisclosure? Is the paper trying to get those?

Was Pres. Herbst smart enough to do all her politicking by phone? Did she email her counterparts at other BE schools? Receive emails?
Aside from her, it appears from the description of the emails that she alone knows UConn's position in realignment.

Reaction Score
Why not?
Probably a bit too old for the position and better served in the fundraising role. He's also been out of the athletic scene for a bit. A good choice for an interim AD, who won't make decisions, and will mainly fundraise, which is what he does best. Better to a get a younger guy who's in touch with the seismic college athletics landscape right now who can work alongside Herbst to forcefully position the school in the correct place for the future, and be able to make the correct hire when Calhoun, PP, and Auriemma hang it up.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
As for Pendergast
I'd hire from the outside. PP can provide advice and knowledge of the UConn system and BE politics.

In theory an outsider can bring an entirely new dimension (with fresh information) that PP simply could not bring because he hasn't got the experience of working in 2 or 3 other BCS schools in the last decade. Then there's the politics of a new President (Herbst) and the politics of upgrading the department's internal operations and compliance.

The quality of the hire will tell people alot about Herbst.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of the above - it makes sense to hire for connections these days.

PP would have made an excellent AD in quieter times, however.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Hearing PP talk about conference realignment and Marinatto's abilities as the BE commish on WTIC made me very worried about our future. He was either disingenous or naive, but I was left thinking that he truly believed the BE is well-positioned and UConn will be fine staying here.

Reaction Score
I understand why the post would want the emails because they are an easy target for a scoop. But there is the potential that these kinds of disclosures at this time could do a lot of long-term damage to the university, What's the point? What "corruption" is uncovered here? Does the NCAA require the same kind of transparency for all member schools in negotiations or simply deliberations? Is there a level playing field?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Does the NCAA require the same kind of transparency for all member schools in negotiations or simply deliberations? Is there a level playing field?

This has absolutely nothing to do with the NCAA. This is a state government issue (FOI for state funded activities). I am sure the FOI laws are different state by state.

The advantage that private schools have of not having to deal with FOI requests is more than offset by the disadvantage of having much less financial support and resources at their disposal.

Reaction Score
Essentially, those emails reveal nothing new or surprising.

PP withdrew from AD consideration because he was not going to get the job.

The only takeaway here is that Herbst told PP to stay out of it and took the issue completely into her domain.

Other than that you have to wonder why the FOI request was even filed, because this seems to be much about nothing.

Reaction Score
They filed assuming there would be some juicy stuff. There was not, it's a non-story. They shouldn't have even bothered running it...

Reaction Score
The only takeaway here is that Herbst told PP to stay out of it and took the issue completely into her domain.

Other than that you have to wonder why the FOI request was even filed, because this seems to be much about nothing.

Exactly how is the Post supposed to know there is nothing critically importfant in the emails if they don't see them?

Reaction Score
I don't know. Did they suspect something was afoul and they decided to get all John Stossel on their asses?

Usually when an FOI is filed it's because something seems fishy. I would be embarrassed for running this story.

Reaction Score
I'm a little amazed at this reaction. At the time, this board was tense with debate over whether Hebst knew anything that would explain not just her confidence, but her statements to the effect that we should be in the ACC. The Post wanted to see if there was a story in the emails. There wasn't. By running the emails, they confirm that to us.

Reaction Score
The Big news was that the President's statement wasn't written by the President but by the guy who writes statements for the President. Wow! Talk about scandal...next they'll be saying the Governor didn't write all his own statements either!

While on balance the idea of the the Freedom of Information Act is right onI would argue that its influence on decision making has been negative. To some degree it stifles serious analysis and leads staff members to present less well defined oral summarries rather than well documented written analyses because neither they nor the more senior people and mayors, governors and so forth want to have to defend decisions that are counter to staff recommendations (and most times for perfectly rational, defensible reasons). If there is nothing in writing, or nothing definitive in writing there is nothing to FOI. Basically it has lead to very sloppy analysis on so many issues. On the other hand I believe that people ought to know what their government is doing and why. The fundamental problem is that the nature of the act is essentially adversarial and its use is mostly for political purposes or to try and embarrass people, not to get information on how and why government operates. I'd be shocked if the Post, for example, really wanted to find out how and why UCONN dealt with the Big East situation. They were hoping to find an embarrassing email to or from somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom