Connecticut Post FOIs E-mails re Expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Connecticut Post FOIs E-mails re Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you already had confidence in Herbst then this should just bolster it. If you didn't then, maybe you should reconsider or probably just go on believing whatever it is that you want to anyways.

I see Pendergrast as being pretty much starcrossed.

If there was a bad strategic error, then maybe it was the bad timing in offing Hathaway, but I don't thing it matters. Hathaway probably would not have added anything anways.

Reaction Score
The Post wanted to see if there was a story in the emails. There wasn't. By running the emails, they confirm that to us.

The article was cast in a way that made it seem like there was a story there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The article was cast in a way that made it seem like there was a story there.

There is news value in publishing the e-mails. It was a good idea. But the headline is misleading and tabloid style journalism.

Reaction Score
They should consider co-ADs. One to handle the financial side, and one being the marketer but also liasion with the academic side. Herbst put an emphasis on the APR, and we've heard a few odd things about academics that we've never heard before with the team, such as short intersession Christmas classes and credits for field work in NYC. It seems that figuring out a new academic system for the players is going to take quite a bit of discussion between the ADs office and the academic side. It would be difficult to imagine an AD doing all of this: fundraising, marketing, academics.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They should consider co-ADs. One to handle the financial side, and one being the marketer but also liasion with the academic side. Herbst put an emphasis on the APR, and we've heard a few odd things about academics that we've never heard before with the team, such as short intersession Christmas classes and credits for field work in NYC. It seems that figuring out a new academic system for the players is going to take quite a bit of discussion between the ADs office and the academic side. It would be difficult to imagine an AD doing all of this: fundraising, marketing, academics.

Upstater, I figured you would have made this connection. He should be made Executive Director of the Uconn Club, which should be the major fundraising organization for Uconn athletics.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Pendergast was a logical, credible, competent and instantly available fill-in once Herbst decided to surgically remove (with very little spillage of blood) Jeff Hathaway. I don't believe Pendergrast was ever her vision of what an AD at a big time University is. Remember, she is trying to promote UConn into the top echelons and has a single minded purpose to do so. I also wouldn't underestimate how much she'll draw on her prior experience with big time athletics programs at the other institutions where she's served (Georgia for example). I have no doubt she will choose an innovative administrator who will be instrumental in leveraging UConn's athletic success and to whom she can entrust the hiring responsibilities when it's time for the coachiing icons and PP to leave. One example of my view of her vision for the school is Calhoun's replacement. I'll bet Kevin Ollie will not be that guy. That's part of the nostalgic, family,"Calhoun endorsed" replacment syndrome. She won't worry about that.
All I can say is we are very lucky to have her steering the ship. And yes, I certainly believe she does have a "unique insight" into where our future conference affiliation
will be. Shhhhhhhhh.

Reaction Score
Pendergast was a logical, credible, competent and instantly available fill-in once Herbst decided to surgically remove (with very little spillage of blood) Jeff Hathaway. I don't believe Pendergrast was ever her vision of what an AD at a big time University is. Remember, she is trying to promote UConn into the top echelons and has a single minded purpose to do so. I also wouldn't underestimate how much she'll draw on her prior experience with big time athletics programs at the other institutions where she's served (Georgia for example). I have no doubt she will choose an innovative administrator who will be instrumental in leveraging UConn's athletic success and to whom she can entrust the hiring responsibilities when it's time for the coachiing icons and PP to leave. One example of my view of her vision for the school is Calhoun's replacement. I'll bet Kevin Ollie will not be that guy. That's part of the nostalgic, family,"Calhoun endorsed" replacment syndrome. She won't worry about that.
All I can say is we are very lucky to have her steering the ship. And yes, I certainly believe she does have a "unique insight" into where our future conference affiliation
will be. Shhhhhhhhh.

When it comes to choosing a coach, no one would blame her for going with Ollie.

If she went with her ADs choice instead and that choice flopped, people would blame her for cutting ties with the Calhoun era and passing Ollie.

It's very difficult to say who is going to be a good coach. Illinois thought it had a slam dunk with Weber. Bet they're not all that thrilled. That's a catch-22 situation. You can't win. Therefore, you play it safe.

Reaction Score
I understand your point, but I sense she'll be up for the bolder choice. While no-one is perfect at these things, she doesn't miss much.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I understand why the post would want the emails because they are an easy target for a scoop. But there is the potential that these kinds of disclosures at this time could do a lot of long-term damage to the university, What's the point? What "corruption" is uncovered here? Does the NCAA require the same kind of transparency for all member schools in negotiations or simply deliberations? Is there a level playing field?

They withheld (as "trade secrets") all the emails that they thought could do any damage. That's how I read the article.

Reaction Score
If you already had confidence in Herbst then this should just bolster it. If you didn't then, maybe you should reconsider or probably just go on believing whatever it is that you want to anyways.

I see Pendergrast as being pretty much starcrossed.

If there was a bad strategic error, then maybe it was the bad timing in offing Hathaway, but I don't thing it matters. Hathaway probably would not have added anything anways.

As someone who is neutral about the new President (time will tell), the emails unfortunately beg the question. She clearly believed, from her conversations with others, that this was going to turn out fine for us in the intermediate term. The question is whether she misread the tea leaves, and took people trying to placate her as good news, or whether she read the tea leaves correctly and we're simply waiting for some time to play out.

I pray it's the latter, but we'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
The question is whether she misread the tea leaves, and took people trying to placate her as good news, or whether she read the tea leaves correctly and we're simply waiting for some time to play out.

Or her comments to Pendergast were just to keep him from freaking out. Part of a manager's job can be to maintain calm and an even keel, to keep the rest of the staff focused.

Reaction Score
Or her comments to Pendergast were just to keep him from freaking out. Part of a manager's job can be to maintain calm and an even keel, to keep the rest of the staff focused.

Could someone please post the clip from Animal House of Kevin Bacon telling the crowd to stay calm?

Reaction Score
As someone who is neutral about the new President (time will tell), the emails unfortunately beg the question. She clearly believed, from her conversations with others, that this was going to turn out fine for us in the intermediate term. The question is whether she misread the tea leaves, and took people trying to placate her as good news, or whether she read the tea leaves correctly and we're simply waiting for some time to play out
I pray it's the latter, but we'll have to wait and see.

I guess it could depend on when BC decided intercede and block us. I am guessing this may have been before, but I really don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom