Connecticut Latest State to Allow College Athletes To Profit From Names, Images and Likenesses. | The Boneyard

Connecticut Latest State to Allow College Athletes To Profit From Names, Images and Likenesses.

Reaction Score
Awaiting signature from the Governor and would go into affect “in September.”

Reaction Score
curious what the regulatory framework is going to look like both at the ncaa and university levels. seems like the school will need to create a new division within the athletic department to assist with/monitor all of these NIL deals the players are agreeing to.

Without the ability to hire representation the players are going to need assistance reading/negotiating/agreeing to contracts. Not to mention the school also needs to make sure someone doesnt end up with their face on a billboard off 84 advertising the electric blue cafe.

Reaction Score
curious what the regulatory framework is going to look like both at the ncaa and university levels. seems like the school will need to create a new division within the athletic department to assist with/monitor all of these NIL deals the players are agreeing to.

Without the ability to hire representation the players are going to need assistance reading/negotiating/agreeing to contracts. Not to mention the school also needs to make sure someone doesnt end up with their face on a billboard off 84 advertising the electric blue cafe.

If Electric Blue Cafe wants to pay a UConn player thousands of dollars for their face to go on a billboard 1) That is probably not a great investment by EBC and 2) the player should 100% be allowed to profit from them.

Reaction Score

UConn has been preparing for this…

-> “We are preparing for the passage of NIL in the very near future,” UConn athletics director David Benedict said. “Like many other institutions, our plans include partnering with a third party that specializes in this space and will help us to educate, inform and serve as a resource for our student-athletes.”

Benedict said UConn will also work with David Noble, director of the school’s Peter J. Werth Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. The goal is to educate student-athletes as they are handling new opportunities to make money.

And the education can include everything from guidance on taxes to investments. “(The Institute) links an ecosystem of resources, programs, academic courses, funding, mentorship, education, and activities relating to entrepreneurship and innovation throughout the university,” Benedict said. <-

Reaction Score
If Electric Blue Cafe wants to pay a UConn player thousands of dollars for their face to go on a billboard 1) That is probably not a great investment by EBC and 2) the player should 100% be allowed to profit from them.
1) who said thousands of dollars? how about free entry...or idk... use your imagination and 2) there are going to be some limitations on this stuff e.g. preventing students from endorsing companies the university would not endorse themselves like tobacco, alcohol, fire arms, strip clubs etc.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Can’t the ncaa still say they’re Ineligible?

they are a private association .

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

I can see it now... "Antric Klaiber says "see you at the Blue!"

the Q

Reaction Score
I like that this was not going to happen until UConn picked up the phone and made it happen. They forced the issue on this to ensure athletics didn't get left behind. Props to AD Benedict and co.

How a call from UConn put CT on the path to allowing college athletes to profit and what comes next

I just think that the fan base completely loses the right to make any more L$U jokes or anything similar after this.

this just means it’s easier for teams like that to get players

Reaction Score
I just think that the fan base completely loses the right to make any more L$U jokes or anything similar after this.

this just means it’s easier for teams like that to get players
or you can look at it as leveling the playing field? some income is better than none. even tho they can still make more at other schools the gap between us and the UKs and LSUs of the world shrinks

Reaction Score
They always could make money.

They just couldn’t go play ncaa basketball
Ok then I'll rephrase, you know they can now legally make money and play NCAA basketball now right? The NCAA isn't going to declare them ineligible like you suggest

the Q

Reaction Score
Ok then I'll rephrase, you know they can now legally make money and play NCAA basketball now right? The NCAA isn't going to declare them ineligible like you suggest
That’s up to them. Isn’t it?

again I think this whole movement overrates part of this. The tourney is big for laundry, not any individual.

Reaction Score
That’s up to them. Isn’t it?

again I think this whole movement overrates part of this. The tourney is big for laundry, not any individual.
Theoretically yes, but the chances the NCAA declares athletes from 41 states ineligible seems pretty small to me

Reaction Score
1) who said thousands of dollars? how about free entry...or idk... use your imagination and 2) there are going to be some limitations on this stuff e.g. preventing students from endorsing companies the university would not endorse themselves like tobacco, alcohol, fire arms, strip clubs etc.

I'm sure star UConn players have been going there free of charge since the 80's.

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers is going to be a very, very wealthy UConn student.
It’ll be interesting to watch for sure. She’ll have plenty of opportunities from companies wanting to pay her for Instagram ads alone. She’s closing in on a million followers, definitely can make a lot just from that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom