Connecticut is the largest state without a top 5 conf school | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Connecticut is the largest state without a top 5 conf school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My grand kids graduated from an excellent public high school
Their classes send over 80% of to college.
The top student in 2011 was on the Yale waiting list and. decided to
go to UConn. I'm told that if your not in the top 5% of your class
A branch is your only UConn options.
I think you guys are over estimating the impact of NE private eletes.
When you consider their small size
and the amount of foreign and out of state students.
There impact is minimal for state students.
UConn is higher rated than the next tier of privates at half the cost tor in state residents.
Hence the greater difficulty in getting in.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
My grand kids graduated from an excellent public high school
Their classes send over 80% of to college.
The top student in 2011 was on the Yale waiting list and. decided to
go to UConn. I'm told that if your not in the top 5% of your class
A branch is your only UConn options.
I think you guys are over estimating the impact of NE private eletes.
When you consider their small size
and the amount of foreign and out of state students.
There impact is minimal for state students.
UConn is higher rated than the next tier of privates at half the cost tor in state residents.
Hence the greater difficulty in getting in.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Now. Yes. I went to Hamden in the 80s and I think I was the only kid in the top 20-30 kids to go to ANY public school.

Reaction Score
State public schools around the NYC + NE area has really been gaining steam over the past decade or so - mostly after the economy/housing market crashed around 2007-8.

I feel like the pecking order has changed like this :

Pre 2007-8
Ivy
Elite Private
Mid-tier Private
State Flagship

Now
Ivy
Elite Private
State Flagship
Mid-tier Private

What's still unclear is what will happen over the next decade as the economy (hopefully) recovers.
I think schools like UConn, Rutgers, and UMass are trying to take the current positive momentum to rebrand the schools and see college sports & conference affiliation as a core component to that strategy.

Reaction Score
State public schools around the NYC + NE area has really been gaining steam over the past decade or so - mostly after the economy/housing market crashed around 2007-8.

Pre 2007-8
Ivy
Elite Private
Mid-tier Private
State Flagship

Now
Ivy
Elite Private
State Flagship
Mid-tier Private

What's still unclear is what will happen over the next decade as the economy (hopefully) recovers.
I think schools like UConn, Rutgers, and UMass are trying to take the current positive momentum to rebrand the schools and see college sports & conference affiliation as a core component to that strategy.

Right. But will still be a long time before the current crop become alums with significant numbers / clout.

Frank - what's the Midwest pecking order? I would think the state schools are the first option in most states, no?

Reaction Score

Pre 2007-8
Ivy
Elite Private
Mid-tier Private
State Flagship

Now
Ivy
Elite Private
State Flagship
Mid-tier Private

Higher Education is falling apart. It will take sports with it.

Reaction Score
Right. But will still be a long time before the current crop become alums with significant numbers / clout.

Frank - what's the Midwest pecking order? I would think the state schools are the first option in most states, no?

For the Midwest, it would generally be:

(1) Elite privates
(2) In-state public flagships
(3) Neighboring out-of-state public flagships
(4) Mid-tier privates
(5) In-state 2nd/3rd tier publics

To be clear, the zeal to get into elite privates like the Ivies and Stanford/Duke/Northwestern is every bit as intense in the Midwestern major metro areas (see suburban Chicago) as it is on the East Coast. It's just that if you don't get into those elite privates, then public flagships are very clearly the overwhelming alternative, whereas the mid-tier privates seem to be more directly competitive with the public flagships on the East Coast. Even if you don't get into your in-state flagship in the Midwest, the flagships in neighboring states are bigger draws than mid-tier privates. The University of Iowa has almost as many students from Illinois as it does from Iowa, while Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue and Missouri also fill over 30% of their classes from Illinois students alone. That's why my theory is that the public vs. private dichotomy between the Northeast and Midwest isn't really driven by the top 1% of high school grads (as the vast majority of people with Ivy-level credentials end up at an Ivy-level private no matter where they are from in the country), but rather the next 25% (who disproportionately end up in the "mass affluent" group that both politicians and consumer products marketers gear most of their messages to... and who happen to buy sports tickets in the greatest quantities).

Reaction Score
That makes complete sense to me based on what I know (having grown up in Wisconsin). The fact that there are also not as many elite privates within reasonable driving distance of most places in the midwest also changes the decision making process for a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom