Connecticut governor declares UConn is 'all in' on big-time college football despite its current spot at bottom (Yahoo Thamel) | The Boneyard

Connecticut governor declares UConn is 'all in' on big-time college football despite its current spot at bottom (Yahoo Thamel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Keep the partisan politics out (forewarned).

-> It’s an easy time to pick on University of Connecticut football. The Huskies are 0-7, jettisoned coach Randy Edsall in early September and got thumped, 27-13, by their struggling neighbor, the University of Massachusetts, on Saturday.

But any notion of UConn punting on football, de-emphasizing football or angling for football to drop down a division is strongly disputed. That includes a chorus of leadership ranging from athletic director David Benedict to the head of the school’s board to Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont. They all view top-flight football as an integral part of UConn being a first-class public school.

“I’m all in,” Lamont told Yahoo Sports in a phone interview. “Look, we have a national university. People identify universities with the academics, the beauty of the campus and the high quality of sports you put on a national platform. People pay attention. They know our basketball far and wide. Football is the national sport, in many ways. We’ve got to compete.”

But any notion of UConn punting on football, de-emphasizing football or angling for football to drop down a division is strongly disputed. That includes a chorus of leadership ranging from athletic director David Benedict to the head of the school’s board to Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont. They all view top-flight football as an integral part of UConn being a first-class public school.

“I’m all in,” Lamont told Yahoo Sports in a phone interview. “Look, we have a national university. People identify universities with the academics, the beauty of the campus and the high quality of sports you put on a national platform. People pay attention. They know our basketball far and wide. Football is the national sport, in many ways. We’ve got to compete.” <-

Reaction Score
That's great and all but the bigger question should be the one we've all been begging for, "Are you willing to pay big money for assistants?"

-> There’s already a solid financial commitment, which is in line with the lower end of the AAC. UConn is paying on-field assistant coaches $2 million and off-field staff $1.2 million. That’s not exactly Clemson commitment, but it's a total staff commitment of $4.4 million accounting for the head coach salary. There’s an openness to that number increasing.

“We’ve got to go out and hire the right football coach,” Benedict said. “I believe that we’ll have the support. If it requires a little bit more to do that, we’ll have the support to do that. Money doesn’t necessarily automatically translate to wins. It’s more of identifying the right person.” <-

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
-> There’s already a solid financial commitment, which is in line with the lower end of the AAC. UConn is paying on-field assistant coaches $2 million and off-field staff $1.2 million. That’s not exactly Clemson commitment, but it's a total staff commitment of $4.4 million accounting for the head coach salary. There’s an openness to that number increasing.

“We’ve got to go out and hire the right football coach,” Benedict said. “I believe that we’ll have the support. If it requires a little bit more to do that, we’ll have the support to do that. Money doesn’t necessarily automatically translate to wins. It’s more of identifying the right person.” <-
Thanks....was planning on reading the article but just took your quick overview for now. I see now that it mentioned it in the article.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
… and then you have The Day:

Can UConn football be saved? Experts: ‘a solid maybe’

-> Schedule, schedule, schedule. This was, by far, the biggest criticism lobbed at UConn's current hierarchy. The schedule, as one person said, "is like manure in the garden. It's all over the place." <-

The full article is worth a click.
I disagree with scheduling an FCS game first as an indy. Week 1 is important to get a P5 school. Many don’t play OOC after Week 6.

Reaction Score

-> Schedule, schedule, schedule. This was, by far, the biggest criticism lobbed at UConn's current hierarchy. The schedule, as one person said, "is like manure in the garden. It's all over the place." <-

Disagree with lack of context regarding the schedule this year. It was admittedly cobbled together so it had to be all over the place. Also disagree that the article was ‘worth a click’ because… well written by the self proclaimed genius

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The Courant article is exactly what Benedict needed to do after the UMass debacle. Take the focus off that game and change the narrative. He highlights are strengths and our commitment to play at a high level. He addressed every fallacy of the naysayers. Can't afford to pay for a quality head coach? Sure we can. Won't pay for assistants? Sure we will. Can't get anyone to play in Connecticut? To the contrary teams are interested. It was well done.

Reaction Score
I think people underestimate that we can schedule about 10 ACC, 6 B1G, and 4 SEC schools home and home.
2022 schedule: Syracuse, Michigan, NC State, Fresno, Boston College

my personal favorite game for 2022 is CCSU

we definitely can get really good games as an independent. Bowl games will come so we‘ll have something to play for.

Way better than the AAC especially now

Reaction Score
Disagree with lack of context regarding the schedule this year. It was admittedly cobbled together so it had to be all over the place. Also disagree that the article was ‘worth a click’ because… well written by the self proclaimed genius
Worth noting that Thamel has named quotes from industry experts about how great the schedule is, but DiMauro has anonymous quotes trashing it. I wouldn't be surprised if that scumbag made them up. Dude is so desperate for attention, it's absolutely pathetic.

Reaction Score

I imagine him sitting in his cubicle asking hypothetical questions out loud and answering them in different cartoonish voices. Then he builds a background for each voice and claims that they have ties to division 1 sports. The only thing he never does is give them names. Because that would out himself.

I also imagine him writing an article and then going back through and using the word processors thesaurus to add in bigger words.

Reaction Score
"But any notion of UConn punting on football, de-emphasizing football or angling for football to drop down a division is strongly disputed. That includes a chorus of leadership ranging from athletic director David Benedict to the head of the school’s board to Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont. They all view top-flight football as an integral part of UConn being a first-class public school."

“I’m all in,” Lamont told Yahoo Sports in a phone interview. “Look, we have a national university. People identify universities with the academics, the beauty of the campus and the high quality of sports you put on a national platform. People pay attention. They know our basketball far and wide. Football is the national sport, in many ways. We’ve got to compete.” <-
Above, just a few very specific points in response to "Why ...?", "What's the point?", etc. Go UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom