Conjecture/Jet Lag/Fatigue | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Conjecture/Jet Lag/Fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This thread has me in full panic mode. I'm flying home from LA to CT tomorrow (today as you read this) and will be in the air during the game. I am old and out of shape especially after having over-eaten for 10 days. I am really worried that I won't last through my DVR of the game once I get home. Will it take me 3 days before I'm alert enough to make it through the whole thing or remember to fast forward through commercials? Oy.

Aside from that, I've flown coast to coast and from NY to Europe enough to know that going west to east is harder, but that the time of the flight can make a difference for how long it takes to adjust. A red eye during normal sleep hours makes adjusting simpler provided you can sleep. But these kids will have been home for several days. And they are in shape. And almost all of them have traveled far and wide and have some idea about how to handle the travel. I can't imagine that fatigue will be a factor, but it is unprovable. It certainly looked like the east to west travel was no problem at all for the kids. East to west is easier, but there is also fatigue going west. Baseball travel with one day in between coast to coast games I think does have some effect. I can't stay up late enough to watch those west coast games, so it certainly wears me out.

Reaction Score
This thread has me in full panic mode. I'm flying home from LA to CT tomorrow (today as you read this) and will be in the air during the game. I am old and out of shape especially after having over-eaten for 10 days. I am really worried that I won't last through my DVR of the game once I get home. Will it take me 3 days before I'm alert enough to make it through the whole thing or remember to fast forward through commercials? Oy.

Aside from that, I've flown coast to coast and from NY to Europe enough to know that going west to east is harder, but that the time of the flight can make a difference for how long it takes to adjust. A red eye during normal sleep hours makes adjusting simpler provided you can sleep. But these kids will have been home for several days. And they are in shape. And almost all of them have traveled far and wide and have some idea about how to handle the travel. I can't imagine that fatigue will be a factor, but it is unprovable. It certainly looked like the east to west travel was no problem at all for the kids. East to west is easier, but there is also fatigue going west. Baseball travel with one day in between coast to coast games I think does have some effect. I can't stay up late enough to watch those west coast games, so it certainly wears me out.

We are NOT playing baseball,football,soccer,business travelers,over weight,out of shape,drinkers,sleep deprived,sexually starved,old,effected by the cold,over eaters,under achievers,memories impaired, adjustment disordered,and I forget what else:oops:

We are ready,healthy,rested,in shape,young,excited,ready to have fun members of the 7x NC Womens BB Team
signed CD,Heather,Kelly,Stefanie,Bria,KLM,BB,BS,Stewie,Morgan

Where is Belushie when you need him
Ira

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
One other aspect, that messes up the rule of one day per hour - a shorter flight is not necessarily better.

When I was flying to London, the flight was 7 hours or so, but subtract out the 2 hours it takes them to give you a meal, time to get to sleep , and the hour they wake you up ahead of landing, and if you get 4 hours fitful sleep, you are lucky. I'm more apt to go to Zurich now, where the flight time is another hour, and the extra hour of sleep helps. When I went to Istanbul, the flight was much longer, but I was able to get close to a full nights sleep, so I still had to deal with the time adjustment, but that wasn't compounded by a shorter night's sleep.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I have the same problem as I drive across Indiana. I feel my fine motor skills come and go county by county.

Bear, if I could like this several times over, I would. I'm not sure if it's the time zone change, or some residual effect of the fact that some counties in Indiana used to observe Daylight Savings' Time, and some didn't (having to change your internal clock, county by county, was exhausting!). There's something about Indiana that just sucks the life right out of ya. They're state motto ought to be "Indiana: The Vampire State".:eek:

Y'know why folks from Indiana are called Hoosiers, dontcha? 'Cause, when ya first meet 'em, they go "Who's yer Ma? Who's yer Pa?"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bear, if I could like this several times over, I would. I'm not sure if it's the time zone change, or some residual effect of the fact that some counties in Indiana used to observe Daylight Savings' Time, and some didn't (having to change your internal clock, county by county, was exhausting!). There's something about Indiana that just sucks the life right out of ya. They're state motto ought to be "Indiana: The Vampire State".:eek:

Y'know why folks from Indiana are called Hoosiers, dontcha? 'Cause, when ya first meet 'em, they go "Who's yer Ma? Who's yer Pa?"

Glad someone got the joke. I drive to Chicago occasionally and laugh everytime I cross a county line in IN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm afraid that if I fly to Hartford next month that I may not be able to cheer up to my usual standards and will thus hurt Baylor's chances of winning.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I'm afraid that if I fly to Hartford next month that I may not be able to cheer up to my usual standards and will thus hurt Baylor's chances of winning.

Just a quick note to say we are sure we will hear your ringing tones from behind the BU bench....:D (Hope you decide to come)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom