Congratulations to Gabby on her Triple Double! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Congratulations to Gabby on her Triple Double!

Reaction Score
if Lou ever gets a double double. Geno will probably say " its about time she improved her game"

Slowdown.... I will refrain from making a nice retort on a special night by a great player.

Reaction Score
Jay Bilas perpetuating the truth. No alternate facts here.

Still an opinion, not a fact.... So nice play on words. You must have a man crush on Jay .... Lol

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
images

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some random thoughts on Gabby's triple-double.

Now that she's done it, a quadruple-double is not out of the question, probably to include steals as the 4th double.

Surprised that the list of prior triple-doubles at UConn does not include either DT or Maya, showing just how difficult it is to achieve.

Most unconventional triple-double has to be Kiah Stokes with 10 rejections.

Reaction Score
That was an ugly game. If you can't beat them . . . beat them. ECU has no idea how to run offense, and UConn needs to wear the football uniforms next time. Just plain ugly. Gabby however was incredible.

Reaction Score
I was reading ESPN's box score from last night's game and mistook Gabby's line for a subtotal line for the starters. Sixteen boards and ten assists sounds like a lyric from an old Tennessee Ernie Ford song: "You load sixteen tons..."

I read an account of a high school game she played - with multiple torn knee ligaments - wherein she was described as "a women among girls" despite the severe physical handicap. The metaphor is clumsy but it's apt. If she isn't the number one WNBA draftee next year, I want to see whomever gets selected ahead of her.

She is a Kelly Faris/Kiah Stokes hybrid defender who can pass and has a great inside game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gabby getting some love on Sports Center. In college bball segment highlighting 3 major upsets on the men's side, the lead is Gabby's triple-double with highlights and comments from both Geno & Gabby.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some random thoughts on Gabby's triple-double.

Now that she's done it, a quadruple-double is not out of the question, probably to include steals as the 4th double.

Surprised that the list of prior triple-doubles at UConn does not include either DT or Maya, showing just how difficult it is to achieve.

Most unconventional triple-double has to be Kiah Stokes with 10 rejections.

I think the combination of rebounds (especially offensive rebounds which is much harder physically and mentally) and steals would be almost beyond human ability. Since most steals happen in the open court away from the blocks where offensive rebounds occur, the ability to shift between these 2 modes of activity seems to me to be nearly impossible.

I wonder if any BY's with the gift of searching stats would be able to find if a double -double off. rebounds and steals has ever occurred (mens or womens). In that direction, doublw - double assists and off rebounds seems almost as impossible again because of the diverse skills and location on the floor. How many times has that combination occurred?

In comparison, IMHO, Kia Stokes blocks / total rebound combination does not seem so
impossible for an elite defensive player since both activities occur (def rebounding) on the same part of the floor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the combination of rebounds (especially offensive rebounds which is much harder physically and mentally) and steals would be almost beyond human ability.
Agree with your post, but as everyone is learning, Gabby is not human....;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gabby getting some love on Sports Center. In college bball segment highlighting 3 major upsets on the men's side, the lead is Gabby's triple-double with highlights and comments from both Geno & Gabby.

Not enough love unfortunately. :(

Mike and Mike had Jay Bilas to talk MCBB and felt the need to waste half the time talking about Lebron and Rothesburger. 50th guest asked the same 2 stupid questions to a non expert in these subjects. Head bang

I thought there may be mention of UConn as a means of contrast in how the top seeds in the mens game were upset. If there was a lead in by M&M , I am sure Jay may have even mentioned Gabby's accomplishment with some flattering commentary but no. :mad::mad:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not enough love unfortunately. :(

Mike and Mike had Jay Bilas to talk MCBB and felt the need to waste half the time talking about Lebron and Rothesburger. 50th guest asked the same 2 stupid questions to a non expert in these subjects. Head bang

I thought there may be mention of UConn as a means of contrast in how the top seeds in the mens game were upset. If there was a lead in by M&M , I am sure Jay may have even mentioned Gabby's accomplishment with some flattering commentary but no. :mad::mad:
Mike & Mike seldom cover women's basketball so nothing new there. Bilas has been a big supporter, particularly of Gabby's exploits, as his tweet after last night's game indicated (highlighted her triple-double). We have to remember that this was a blowout against a mediocre team. Had the Huskies played SC, I certainly would have expected more pub.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mike & Mike seldom cover women's basketball so nothing new there. Bilas has been a big supporter, particularly of Gabby's exploits, as his tweet after last night's game indicated (highlighted her triple-double). We have to remember that this was a blowout against a mediocre team. Had the Huskies played SC, I certainly would have expected more pub.

I know but on Mike and Mike, when they do the SC highlights at the top of the hour, UConn is mentioned along with the usual smiles and comments " Well, we don't need to worry about upsets on the Women's side " and " UConn may not lose while either of us is still alive"

What drives me nuts is that I think the consensus conception is that UConn is made of players so strong, big and physically dominating that these games are like what happens when adults play children. Just back up and shoot layups over the out stretched hands of little defenders.

Now maybe Gabby Williams may fall somewhat into this category but her main super human power is not bulk but leaping ability and speed. All other players seem to be pretty much on the human (but talented) scale.

We win because we play better team ball offensively and defensively where talented players learn to blend their abilities.

Just a nutty world. Head bangHead bang

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As a follow up, I really view how UConn plays to be similar to how the NBA wants to play and particularly the Golden State Warriors where assists,good shooting and fundamentals are why they are running roughshod over the NBA. Even their one real physical freak KD plays very good team ball and is a good parallel to Breanna Stewart, Gabby (maybe stretching) and hopefully Azure.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Let me be the first to predict That Gabby will be the first player to get a triple not just twice, but three times at UConn.

I doubt few posters here doubt your prediction, because it's not too far fetched. She got as many as 18 games left THIS year, and approx 37 or so games NEXT year. that's 55 games (opportunities) to do so. If Gabby can pull this off at least once more, she will create a program record that will probably NEVER be broken (another record that can be put on the Mount Rushmore of UConn's women's basketball records) A player would have to have 3 triple doubles to break that record. We all know how hard it is to record one.

Geno reflected back last night during his post game presser, that of all the great players he's had come through his program, only 5 players have reached this milestone. Who knows, UConn just may get a "freak of nature" recruit that's super gifted and athletic that can pull it off. One of those well rounded, unselfish athletes that only comes around once in a lifetime. If so, I hope I'm still around to see it. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

I think the amount of minutes played ought to be highlighted, not the amount of games. She's probably played 3/4 of the minutes this year that she had played in the previous two years combined but that doesn't take away from how much her game has improved. She's an amazing dynamo who is a big reason why this team is so good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom