Congrats to ND | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Congrats to ND

Reaction Score
Tuck definitely fits what I'm talking about. Brown and Turner aren't as versatile as the the others but they are really, really good at what they do.

One low-post scorer/rebounder/shot blocker (Brown/Turner) plus one multi-skilled PF (Cox/Shepard) is a really nice blend for sure.

But you don't necessarily need it. Wilson had her sidekick with Coates and won the natty without her in the lineup. Wilson and excellent guard play was enough.

Coates had a limited offensive game and just clogged up the middle..................the other pairs we are talking about figured how to stay out of each other's way for the most part........

Reaction Score
The post duo of Barbara Turner and Jessica Moore won two championships so uh not really.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know that I have read a more disgraceful thread than this one.

I hope the UConn Team Members don't read this stuff.....they all deserve much better.
While many of us dislike the negative posts that pop up after a UConn loss, or even a close win, your criticism of the entire thread is unwarranted. As a reminder, this thread was started by a long time poster congratulating ND for their victory. Many subsequent posters joined in that congratulations. A number of other posters have discussed the game itself, highlighting why ND won. A couple of welcome, longtime ND posters have also joined the discussion.

In the future, if you object to one or more specific posts that unfairly casts blame on UConn’s players and/or coaches, I respectfully suggest that you quote the specific post(s) and specify your objections. Your blanket condemnation of this entire thread is demeaning to many thoughtful posters, and it doesn’t particularly put you in a good light.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know that I have read a more disgraceful thread than this one.
I hope the UConn Team Members don't read this stuff.....they all deserve much better.
Try to be a little more pointed with your indignation. I sense frustration in many of the post in the thread and some attempt to blame particular players or refs for the loss. There is also some great analysis and many sportsmanlike congrats to ND which was the intent of the thread. I don't see anything even remotely close to "disgraceful"-until I read your post.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will continue to have size...

Cosgrove, 6'4"...freshman
Vaughn, 6'3", sophomore
Patterson, 6'2", sophomore

Natilija Marshall...6'5"...2020 recruit is being recruited by Notre Dame, UConn and everybody else...she will be an elite player near the rim...she will help some team make a title run.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. My sister and I were the only ones I was aware of to observe the custom of standing until the Huskies score, at the beginning of each half. If fans can't observe that simple custom, then geez, why bother to go to the game?

Because you love the game and the team, that's why.

I have a crippled leg. When someone in front of me stands I can't see. It is horribly rude to block the view of those behind you, whether it is big hair, big hats, or standing when those behind you are seated. It is a kindness to be considerate of your fellow basketball fans. Especially at a tournament. Those around you may be supporters of another team.

Reaction Score
I think ND kicked into another gear when they became down by 9. Mabrey2 showed some defensive energy that wasn't there in the previous quarters. Of course her 3s really hurt during this time. Uconn had no answer.

Reaction Score
Most of the responses here are evidence of why I enjoy reading and following the Boneyard. I get there is no real love lost for ND and I understand why. However most of the posts here are very gracious and complimentary of the game last night that happened to be won by the Irish. These heavyweights have made some classics the past several seasons and I thought last night was a very well played contest that let both teams show just how talented they are.

UConn is still the aspirational peer for every program in the country. ND, Baylor, Oregon, Mississippi State, Louisville, Stanford have all joined in to get the top a little crowded but remember whoever wins tomorrow night will have 3 championships to the Huskies 11. Your program is still the platinum level of women's basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will continue to have size...

Cosgrove, 6'4"...freshman
Vaughn, 6'3", sophomore
Patterson, 6'2", sophomore

Natilija Marshall...6'5"...2020 recruit is being recruited by Notre Dame, UConn and everybody else...she will be an elite player near the rim...she will help some team make a title run.
I’ve watched Marshall play twice in the Federation Tournament. At present, she demonstrates little inclination to play in the paint at either end of the court, preferring to float around the perimeter. I’m not saying she can’t be an effective post player, but in order for that to happen, she’s going to have to change the way she plays.

Reaction Score
I just got back home from seeing the game in person. Although we had nosebleed-ish seats, I agree with most of the observations made by the posters of this thread. We definitely played better with ONO in there. Katie Lou made some beautiful shots in the second half of the game. I too thought Megan did a good job and made some key shots. The others, well, they just didn't play to their potential; they didn't play like we know they can. Unfortunately they picked a heck of a time to do so. And one thing this team really lacks is a big-time assassin of a player like Arike. As much as I disapproved of some of her behavior this past year, she stepped up and made shots when they counted in the 4th quarter. Props to her for that. Jackie Young and Jess Shepard were also very good.

Just a couple of observations about the experience tonight - I had never been to Amalie Arena in Tampa before, but it was decorated beautifully for the Final Four, with banners hanging from the rafters in honor of each national championship team going back to - I don't know when, but there were several hanging prior to 1995. Outside, the arena was decorated with huge Final Four logos and the logos of the four teams. The employees and vendors at the arena were all very cheerful and courteous. The two finalist teams are to have autograph-signing sessions with the public tomorrow afternoon, after which there will be a free concert.

The food prices were outrageous. I paid $7.50 for a Hoodsie-cup size serving of ice cream. A large glass of beer was $16. Cuban sandwiches were $12. There was a very good assortment of food, from chicken tenders to tacos to cheesesteak sandwiches to pizza, hot dogs, and hamburgers - but I drew the line at paying $15 for a burger.

There were a surprising number of Notre Dame fans there. Judging by the number of UConn fans that go to the UCF and USF games, I figured that there would be more UConn fans there. There were quite a few, but not as many as I thought there would be. (For the first game, the Baylor fans outnumbered the Oregon fans.) The enthusiasm of the UConn band was great to see; however, someone put the microphone in a strange spot, so that it took a few extra minutes to recognize even familiar songs like the Fight Song.

That's all I've got; it's past 2 AM. Thank you, Huskies, for a great season. We love you.
Thanks for your vivid description of the evening. I find, however, your game analysis faulty. You seem to imply that only Meg and Lou played in a manner worthy of recognition. Each one of our ladies had bright moments,and each had dark moments, which is normal. Despite poor shooting, Crystal had 9 assists to 1 trunover. Freshman Williams had 19 points and made 2 of 4 3's. Pheesa had an impressive 15 pts., 13 rebounds, and 4 blocks, and hit 1 of 2 3's. True, Meg and Samuelson also had impressive games. Meg's 8 rebounds was a big help. Samuelson did hit indeed some beautiful shots and showed hustle, as usual. Samuelson, however. had 4 trunovers, 2 late in the game were disastrous, and Samuelson did not hit those beautiful 3's late in the game when they were desperately needed. Samuelson is a very good basketball player. She, however, did not show in her college career that late-game heroics is her thing. This team far exceeded our expectations. They kept the 12 straight Final Fours streak alive. We thank each one of them for this fine season. I expect every one of this starting-five to have fine pro careers.

Reaction Score
I generally agree with your assessment but I think we have a partial test case tomorrow. ND has two skilled Bigs to Baylor’s one. At 6’7”, Brown can be dominating, but no one is going to mistake her for EDD. The most remarkable statistic from the first semifinal last night is that OR hit 12 x 3’s to Baylor’s 0 and lost. I’m anxious to watch the game tomorrow to see which set of Bigs prevail.
Lauren Cox is 6’4”, and very, very good.

Reaction Score
Because you love the game and the team, that's why.

I have a crippled leg. When someone in front of me stands I can't see. It is horribly rude to block the view of those behind you, whether it is big hair, big hats, or standing when those behind you are seated. It is a kindness to be considerate of your fellow basketball fans. Especially at a tournament. Those around you may be supporters of another team.
I did not mean to disparage anyone with injuries; and if if anyone took what I said personally, I apologize.

That being said, not every UConn fan there had a debilitating injury -- not by a long shot. Yes, there were seniors there, but also a lot of families with little kids, high-school-age kids, retirees on the young side -- every age group was well represented. I know because I was there and I saw it.

And as far as being rude for standing as part of a custom, sorry, that one won't hold water. First of all, more times than not, it's only for a very short time that you are standing. Second, at other games, I have been asked about standing by fans of opposite teams, and when I politely explain the custom, they are understanding and let it go. Third - and perhaps most important - while "those around you may be supporters of another team," while they have a perfect right to cheer in good sportsmanship for their team, so do I. I personally thought that the 300-pound drunk Notre Dame fan with the teased up-do that sat in front of me, screaming at the very top of her lungs at every good Notre Dame play, was a lot ruder than the standing custom could ever possibly be construed to be.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your vivid description of the evening. I find, however, your game analysis faulty. You seem to imply that only Meg and Lou played in a manner worthy of recognition. Each one of our ladies had bright moments,and each had dark moments, which is normal. Despite poor shooting, Crystal had 9 assists to 1 trunover. Freshman Williams had 19 points and made 2 of 4 3's. Pheesa had an impressive 15 pts., 13 rebounds, and 4 blocks, and hit 1 of 2 3's. True, Meg and Samuelson also had impressive games. Meg's 8 rebounds was a big help. Samuelson did hit indeed some beautiful shots and showed hustle, as usual. Samuelson, however. had 4 trunovers, 2 late in the game were disastrous, and Samuelson did not hit those beautiful 3's late in the game when they were desperately needed. Samuelson is a very good basketball player. She, however, did not show in her college career that late-game heroics is her thing. This team far exceeded our expectations. They kept the 12 straight Final Fours streak alive. We thank each one of them for this fine season. I expect every one of this starting-five to have fine pro careers.
Hi. Actually I was not analyzing the game; I said that I was agreeing with most of the previous posters, and relating what I observed in relation to that.

Reaction Score
Hardest part to accept is our the game has caught up with our beloved Lady Huskies. While overall it is great for the sport, I feel like a spoiled who's parent's decided to cut him off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox is 6’4”, and very, very good.
Yes, that’s who I was referring to as Baylor’s “skilled” big, with Brown the “other” big.

Reaction Score
I have a thesis on this: what wins National Championships is not only size but skilled size. Look at the recent national champions. Stewie's Huskies, Wilson's Gamecocks, Shepard's Irish and now either Cox's Lady Bears or a repeat for the Irish.

What's the commonality between Stewie, Wilson, Shepard, and Cox? They're all 6'3+. They all can score inside, score outside, rebound, and pass.

So that's the kind of player you need to recruit. The problem is that there is an incredibly small number of people with those qualifications. Maybe one per recruiting class.

That's why Delle Donne was a #1 recruit, Stewie was a #1 recruit, Wilson was a #1 recruit, Cox was a #1 recruit, and Shepard was a #3 recruit.

And you can't control where these kids grow up. Wilson, Cox, and Shepard (initially) all chose to stay close to home and those homes where nowhere near Connecticut.

The good news for UConn is that ONO has the potential to be this kind of player by the time she graduates. She has the physical ability and a great coaching staff.

I've always thought about this because prior to last year's national championship Irish fans would bemoan a perceived inability for ND to recruit post players. After all, the one national championship the Irish had won featured Ruth Riley, right? As if it were that simple to just find another Ruth Riley...

ND got to Final Fours with 6'3 Achonwa and 6'1 Braker. UConn got to a final four with 6'1 Collier and 5'11 Williams in the post. You can still be really, really good if you have to sacrifice size for skill. I think it's harder to do it the other way around. It doesn't work to just recruit 6'6 stiffs.
Good points and I especially agree about ONO. Her awareness, confidence, and understanding of the offense has improved exponentially since the start of the season. She already had the athleticism and natural aggressiveness and will be a load next year. Given their roster, she will rarely come off the floor next season except of course for any foul trouble.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They earned this one.

You're much more gracious that I. If for example.... Duke would have lost to UNC..cheat in the Final 4..... I would be out in the streets fighting anything wearing light blue :mad: :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
I did not mean to disparage anyone with injuries; and if if anyone took what I said personally, I apologize.

That being said, not every UConn fan there had a debilitating injury -- not by a long shot. Yes, there were seniors there, but also a lot of families with little kids, high-school-age kids, retirees on the young side -- every age group was well represented. I know because I was there and I saw it.

And as far as being rude for standing as part of a custom, sorry, that one won't hold water. First of all, more times than not, it's only for a very short time that you are standing. Second, at other games, I have been asked about standing by fans of opposite teams, and when I politely explain the custom, they are understanding and let it go. Third - and perhaps most important - while "those around you may be supporters of another team," while they have a perfect right to cheer in good sportsmanship for their team, so do I. I personally thought that the 300-pound drunk Notre Dame fan with the teased up-do that sat in front of me, screaming at the very top of her lungs at every good Notre Dame play, was a lot ruder than the standing custom could ever possibly be construed to be.

If you stood in front of me I would not be able to see the tipoff or any of the game until you sat down. It would be cruel of you to do that to me or anyone else who does not stand.

Last year at the final four, a ND fan had a big cat in the hat type hat. It blocked the view of about 3 people. One person, after politely pointing out that we could not see, and being ignored, contacted an usher who instructed the man to remove the hat. That's what it took. It's cruel to block others' view. Please reconsider your attitude.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why? What do you expect will happen next year? With our current roster, we have no chance of a championship run.
I guess 2 HS POY’s, the top pg in her class and a 6’5” Center that was the top player in her class before she lost her jr year to injury, under the greatest coaching staff in the history of WBB could never possibly make a championship run, even when just about every other top team will lose key players to graduation. No chance at all... :cool:

Reaction Score
I guess 2 HS POY’s, the top pg in her class and a 6’5” Center that was the top player in her class before she lost her jr year to injury, under the greatest coaching staff in the history of WBB could never possibly make a championship run, even when just about every other top team will lose key players to graduation. No chance at all... :cool:
Lots of doom and gloom for next season. Sure we are losing two of the best to have ever played here, but everyone is overlooking what we are gaining, and I'm not talking about new players. ONO, CW, and Megan will be better next year. Megan will make another incremental jump, and the sophomore leap is coming for CW and ONO. We will still have one of the best PGs in the country. Remember when the big three left everyone thought it was going to be a down year with no final four, and what happened? Two sophomores stepped up to help back fill the loss of talent from the season before, and the team went on to extend its undefeated streak to 111 games. I expect two sophomores to step up and do the same next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lots of doom and gloom for next season. Sure we are losing two of the best to have ever played here, but everyone is overlooking what we are gaining, and I'm not talking about new players. ONO, CW, and Megan will be better next year. Megan will make another incremental jump, and the sophomore leap is coming for CW and ONO. We will still have one of the best PGs in the country. Remember when the big three left everyone thought it was going to be a down year with no final four, and what happened? Two sophomores stepped up to help back fill the loss of talent from the season before, and the team went on to extend its undefeated streak to 111 games. I expect two sophomores to step up and do the same next year.
I’ll go beyond that. Christyn will be a first team AA next season, and a matchup nightmare for everyone she faces. She has barely scratched the surface this season of just how good a player she will be.

Reaction Score
If you stood in front of me I would not be able to see the tipoff or any of the game until you sat down. It would be cruel of you to do that to me or anyone else who does not stand.

Last year at the final four, a ND fan had a big cat in the hat type hat. It blocked the view of about 3 people. One person, after politely pointing out that we could not see, and being ignored, contacted an usher who instructed the man to remove the hat. That's what it took. It's cruel to block others' view. Please reconsider your attitude.
"Anyone"? Are you really suggesting that thousands of fans stop a tradition because a few are disabled? If you politely explain your situation to the person in front of you, the vast majority would understand and sit for you. You are part of the few so you need to be the one to request consideration. It isn't encumbant on the many to try and figure out if they are inconveniencing one of the few.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom