Congrats to ND | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Congrats to ND

Reaction Score
No problem losing to a better team, and ND was the better team last night.

What I hate is the “jig” after the game. Like she was dancing on somebody’s grave.

Reaction Score
The game started pretty much as I had anticipated and had articulated...
ND was tight and our guys had a early chance to put them away early.
But so many missed, makable (or easier) shots. and that opportunity was lost.

Then the game turned into the ND/Stanford game with ND asserting itself to win.

Interesting, with all the concern, the refs played no role in the outcome...it was a relatively clean game (on both sides)...foul trouble was minimal. And few examples of unnecessary falling...perhaps UConn led in that dept. ND did not win the game on the foul line...they made big shots.

Geno correctly handicapped the game. They had too much senior poise, too big a front line, with the game on the line, their stars came through in an honorable and skillful manner.

Poise is such a big part of it....In the December game, when they got behind, they lost it.
Not tonight...In the pregame interview, they spoke about it...wasn't going to happen again.

Well, we gave them the opportunity to collapse when we were up 9, but they responded like champs.

Plaudits.
Sorry but I can't agree about the refs. Again, people get worked up over the disparity in foul calls or the number of foul calls but rarely do people consider HOW the game is called and WHY that matters. Many people believe we want the refs to "just let them play". We have rarely had a team that benefits from a "just let them play" game. We usually have the more talented and skilled team that plays more of a finesse game that relies on movement and passing. The bottom line is that the outcome with our games at ND are totally dependent on how many fouls, and especially shooting fouls, are called against ND. Just look at our games from this year. In our earlier matchup, ND was called for 18 fouls and we took 20 FTs. In this game, ND was called for 12 fouls and we took only NINE FTs. Again, is it at least POSSIBLE that players will have a tough time finishing shots when they are being bodied or are anticipating being bodied? Same exact teams in the same season. 20 FTs = win, 9 FTs = loss.

Not enough data you say? OK, how about last year's semifinal game. ND called for 11 fouls and UConn shoots SIX FTs. 6 FTs = loss, 20 FTs = win, 9 FTs = loss. And the game during the season last year? ND called for 16 fouls and UConn shoots 18 FTs and wins. 18 FTs = win, 6 FTs = loss, 20 FTs = win, 9 FTs = loss. See a pattern? And, to be clear, the 20 FT game was out of reach so it wasn't like those 20 FTs came at the end due to ND intentionally fouling. Another coincidence? Last year, in the semifinal game, UConn was up by 8 with less than 7 minutes in the game and this year they were up by 9 with less than 8 minutes to go. Comebacks can be due to great shooting but they can also be due to fouling and not getting called for all, if ANY, of them. Players stop driving when they are fouled and it isn't called. They don't stop getting fouls called because they stop driving. People need to get this chicken and egg thing right.

Sure, one could argue that the kids need to learn to play through contact. Maybe this group does lack some mental toughness. But I am not going to completely fault them or Geno when the data says that there are other factors. Having said that, at least THIS YEAR, I can say that these teams are close and it is possible that ND just won. But last year? No, last year was a disgrace and a crime against the game itself. And, keep in mind, that last year was Katie Lou's best shot at being on the floor for a NC. That poor kid was robbed last year. THAT is why I will never tip my cap to ND. Well, that and Muffet being Muffet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We were missing a post player- an excellent post player. Notre Dame had two, and that's why they dominated the boards. Oregon had just one, which wasn't enough to overcome two great post players on Baylor.

You can't teach height. ONO is good, but just not good enough.

Olivia is a freshman who didn't get enough playing time throughout the year to prepare her to take and hit jump shots, which she had a few opportunities to do.

Reaction Score
No problem losing to a better team, and ND was the better team last night.

What I hate is the “jig” after the game. Like she was dancing on somebody’s grave.

That could only be one person. We'll be back before they will.

Reaction Score
I agree Crystal didn’t play her best, but she lead all players with 9 assists.
I’m not here to say she didn’t contribute and gave effort. What I’m saying is she is one of the three we had to have a better night. I think meg and crystin played as well as they could except maybe one missed layup.. I think crystal could have played better

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m not here to say she didn’t contribute and gave effort. What I’m saying is she is one of the three we had to have a better night. I think meg and crystin played as well as they could except maybe one missed layup.. I think crystal could have played better
My point was in response to your suggestion that Crystal should have, “created more and put players in a better situation.” 9 assists is pretty darn creative imo.

Reaction Score
One thing that made me mad was how complacent some of our fans are. I had to make them stand up in my section when UConn opened up that 4th quarter league. It is infuriating how we don’t get loud times despite our numbers.

Reaction Score
One thing that made me mad was how complacent some of our fans are. I had to make them stand up in my section when UConn opened up that 4th quarter league. It is infuriating how we don’t get loud times despite our numbers.
To be fair the average age of a UConn fan is 76.2 years. It's quite possible they wanted to do what you suggested, but didn't have the ability.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. My sister and I were the only ones I was aware of to observe the custom of standing until the Huskies score, at the beginning of each half. If fans can't observe that simple custom, then geez, why bother to go to the game?

Reaction Score
Meg played a pretty good game if you think about it. It was not her fault (no one is at fault). She had an incredibly difficult task to defend Turner who is taller, a senior and former POY candidate. Crystal is small and can definitely improve the defensive side of her game. Given the size issues, I would have liked to see a line up with ONO in and Crystal, not Megan, on the bench. That would have been a bigger line up with plenty of offensive fire power and better defensively. A bigger player on Arike (Megan) and a bigger player in ONO to help in rebounding.

But mostly, ND was the more seasoned team and did what they needed to do, while UConn failed to do what they normally do.
Have to agree with several posts that Crystal could have used a few more minutes on bench. She's a smart player and some rest and the opportunity to see the flow of the game and how it needed to change may have helped. Many assists but at times seemed lost.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has been catching up on recruiting vis a vis the Huskies. As has Stanford and South Carolina.

The 2019 class has been a sort of stall for UConn....but one year shouldn't be that hurtful...2020 will be the tell tale.

Could this become a rivalry of sorts come this time of year?
Have to give ND credit with coaching both on the strategic and tactical level. Hate to say anything good about Muffet but the past two years she has filled holes similar to Belichick/Patriots. Not always perfect players but ALL holes got filled versus UConn who were left with thin roster at guard and bigs. Last night, even when down, ND attacked the middle and consistently scored on 10-12 footers. UConn settled for 3 pointers.

Reaction Score
The one thing about this team that it had in the past it has missed that player with that killer attitude
The one thing this team lacked that it often previously had was a strong inside presence. Ono changed the game defensively and with her rebounding, but the offense suffered with her in. ND had 3, 4 or even 5 shots on some possessions. UConn was out-rebounded 54-37, and 22-11 on offensive rebounding.
Yes, players with killer attitudes, like DT, can make a difference. But it's hard to overcome an inside mismatch. Look at Oregon. Ionescu perhaps personifies DT the most of any current player, and she couldn't overcome Baylor's front line.

Reaction Score
Have to give ND credit with coaching both on the strategic and tactical level. Hate to say anything good about Muffet but the past two years she has filled holes similar to Belichick/Patriots. Not always perfect players but ALL holes got filled versus UConn who were left with thin roster at guard and bigs. Last night, even when down, ND attacked the middle and consistently scored on 10-12 footers. UConn settled for 3 pointers.
Geno should have had Azura this season. If she was still here, I think some games go very differently this season, including this one.

Reaction Score
Great point. Sometimes the perfect role player is more valuable than a highly touted recruit. ND's players fill their roles on the court perfectly - they're very smart players, play within themselves and always as a team.

Reaction Score
Great point. Sometimes the perfect role player is more valuable than a highly touted recruit. ND's players fill their roles on the court perfectly - they're very smart players, play within themselves and always as a team.
Muffet's a great coach. I don't like some of her off court antics, but give credit where it's due. They don't have the same level of talent as UConn, but year in year out find ways to win and end up being one of the three or five best teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Geno should have had Azura this season. If she was still here, I think some games go very differently this season, including this one.
Z on this year's team would have totally transformed UConn's game. Rather than speculate on what that would have been, though, I wonder if Geno had any sense she was thinking about leaving. It would have been equally great if someone like Ono played last year under Z, and could have stepped into the lineup this season stronger and better prepared. Didn't seem to be a back-up plan for Z's departure.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't call any of ND's starting five "role" players......................they are all highly ranked high school players that simply outplayed our highly ranked players when it counted most...................

Reaction Score
I don't know that I have read a more disgraceful thread than this one.

I hope the UConn Team Members don't read this stuff.....they all deserve much better.

Reaction Score
Z on this year's team would have totally transformed UConn's game. Rather than speculate on what that would have been, though

The Azura situation highlights a problem that scares away potential recruits. What is the Azura situation? After averaging a meager 21 minutes a game she was the 6th player taken in the draft. Why would a player of this caliber play only 21 minutes? If she stayed this year who would lose the playing time? ONO would basically have wasted her freshman year if not for the KLS injury? Why did Natalie not stay? Whys so many transfers out?

I think the problem is that players want to play. They want to be part of the effort. Geno does not use his bench. I do not know why, but I know I would not want to be a star in this situation. The easiest solution for this is to allow immediate player transfers.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
With all that talent, UConn just has to do a better job recruiting Bigs. They missed on Wilson, Cox and others over the past few years. Either one of those players probably changes the outcome of the last few tournaments. Losing out on Boston this year continues the unfortunate trend with Bigs.

I expect Liv will be very good, but she needs some help. UConn needs another Big or two who can play next year and beyond. Geno needs to aggressively pursue grad transfers, international players and HS 2020 recruits who can play up front.

If you look back to UConn’s 11 championships, most of them involved one or more dominant Bigs: Rebecca, Kara, Asa, Swin, Tamika, Tina, Steph, Tuck & Stewie.

I have a thesis on this: what wins National Championships is not only size but skilled size. Look at the recent national champions. Stewie's Huskies, Wilson's Gamecocks, Shepard's Irish and now either Cox's Lady Bears or a repeat for the Irish.

What's the commonality between Stewie, Wilson, Shepard, and Cox? They're all 6'3+. They all can score inside, score outside, rebound, and pass.

So that's the kind of player you need to recruit. The problem is that there is an incredibly small number of people with those qualifications. Maybe one per recruiting class.

That's why Delle Donne was a #1 recruit, Stewie was a #1 recruit, Wilson was a #1 recruit, Cox was a #1 recruit, and Shepard was a #3 recruit.

And you can't control where these kids grow up. Wilson, Cox, and Shepard (initially) all chose to stay close to home and those homes where nowhere near Connecticut.

The good news for UConn is that ONO has the potential to be this kind of player by the time she graduates. She has the physical ability and a great coaching staff.

I've always thought about this because prior to last year's national championship Irish fans would bemoan a perceived inability for ND to recruit post players. After all, the one national championship the Irish had won featured Ruth Riley, right? As if it were that simple to just find another Ruth Riley...

ND got to Final Fours with 6'3 Achonwa and 6'1 Braker. UConn got to a final four with 6'1 Collier and 5'11 Williams in the post. You can still be really, really good if you have to sacrifice size for skill. I think it's harder to do it the other way around. It doesn't work to just recruit 6'6 stiffs.

Reaction Score
I have a thesis on this: what wins National Championships is not only size but skilled size. Look at the recent national champions. Stewie's Huskies, Wilson's Gamecocks, Shepard's Irish and now either Cox's Lady Bears or a repeat for the Irish.

What's the commonality between Stewie, Wilson, Shepard, and Cox? They're all 6'3+. They all can score inside, score outside, rebound, and pass.

So that's the kind of player you need to recruit. The problem is that there is an incredibly small number of people with those qualifications. Maybe one per recruiting class.

That's why Delle Donne was a #1 recruit, Stewie was a #1 recruit, Wilson was a #1 recruit, Cox was a #1 recruit, and Shepard was a #3 recruit.

And you can't control where these kids grow up. Wilson, Cox, and Shepard (initially) all chose to stay close to home and those homes where nowhere near Connecticut.

The good news for UConn is that ONO has the potential to be this kind of player by the time she graduates. She has the physical ability and a great coaching staff.

I've always thought about this because prior to last year's national championship Irish fans would bemoan a perceived inability for ND to recruit post players. After all, the one national championship the Irish had won featured Ruth Riley, right? As if it were that simple to just find another Ruth Riley...

ND got to Final Fours with 6'3 Achonwa and 6'1 Braker. UConn got to a final four with 6'1 Collier and 5'11 Williams in the post. You can still be really, really good if you have to sacrifice size for skill. I think it's harder to do it the other way around. It doesn't work to just recruit 6'6 stiffs.

it's even a whole lot better when you have two of them...........remember Stewie had Tuck, Cox has Brown and Shepard has Turner..............

Reaction Score
Turner and Mabrey was the difference in this game. They were the two that played better than they had been playing. Mabrey was having a tough time since ACC play & Turner was looking like her old self last night. The other three Irish starters performed like they normally do.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
it's even a whole lot better when you have two of them......remember Stewie had Tuck, Cox has Brown and Shepard has Turner....

Tuck definitely fits what I'm talking about. Brown and Turner aren't as versatile as the the others but they are really, really good at what they do.

One low-post scorer/rebounder/shot blocker (Brown/Turner) plus one multi-skilled PF (Cox/Shepard) is a really nice blend for sure.

But you don't necessarily need it. Wilson had her sidekick with Coates and won the natty without her in the lineup. Wilson and excellent guard play was enough.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I generally agree with your assessment but I think we have a partial test case tomorrow. ND has two skilled Bigs to Baylor’s one. At 6’7”, Brown can be dominating, but no one is going to mistake her for EDD. The most remarkable statistic from the first semifinal last night is that OR hit 12 x 3’s to Baylor’s 0 and lost. I’m anxious to watch the game tomorrow to see which set of Bigs prevail.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom