Congrats to ND | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Congrats to ND

Reaction Score
"Anyone"? Are you really suggesting that thousands of fans stop a tradition because a few are disabled? If you politely explain your situation to the person in front of you, the vast majority would understand and sit for you. You are part of the few so you need to be the one to request consideration. It isn't encumbant on the many to try and figure out if they are inconveniencing one of the few.

Who said anything about changing a tradition? Or not politely asking the person ahead of you if s/he would be willing to sit?

My point is at a tournament one should be kind to those sitting near her/him. And, anywhere, one should be considerate of others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will continue to have size...

Cosgrove, 6'4"...freshman
Vaughn, 6'3", sophomore
Patterson, 6'2", sophomore

Natilija Marshall...6'5"...2020 recruit is being recruited by Notre Dame, UConn and everybody else...she will be an elite player near the rim...she will help some team make a title run.

none of those three come close to Turner or Shepard in the skill department................it will be interesting to see how much playing time Sam Brunelle gets early on in the season........

Reaction Score
Who said anything about changing a tradition? Or not politely asking the person ahead of you if s/he would be willing to sit?
You said that people in front of ANYONE that is sitting should sit. What if the crowd is evenly divided? Should most UConn fans in attendance give up the tradition?

You also didn't add "if asked" and you didn't provide for cases where, maybe, the person behind the UConn fan is a fan of an opponent. I can tell you that I sat in front of Duke fans at the preseason NIT in MSG several years ago. Crowd was divided. We stood. They got snippy. I didn't sit. We were sitting in a section on the floor. They called over security. I reiterated that it was within my rights to stand. The security guy agreed but was polite. I said I would sit after the first made basket. He said ok. The Duke fans started making snide comments about UConn. I explained that my UConn degree got me accepted to MIT for grad school. They shut up.

You have to be careful with words like anyone or everyone or always or never.

Reaction Score
Lots of doom and gloom for next season. Sure we are losing two of the best to have ever played here, but everyone is overlooking what we are gaining, and I'm not talking about new players. ONO, CW, and Megan will be better next year. Megan will make another incremental jump, and the sophomore leap is coming for CW and ONO. We will still have one of the best PGs in the country. Remember when the big three left everyone thought it was going to be a down year with no final four, and what happened? Two sophomores stepped up to help back fill the loss of talent from the season before, and the team went on to extend its undefeated streak to 111 games. I expect two sophomores to step up and do the same next year.

I agree with much of your premise but even if Geno manages to grab some front court size with a graduate transfer/Euro player or two, UConn will be somewhat challenged on the boards and in their half court defense next season..............it's just going to be really difficult to replace Collier's rebounding/shot blocking and KLS's defensive work at the three point line never mind their offensive talents.........

Reaction Score
You said that people in front of ANYONE that is sitting should sit. What if the crowd is evenly divided? Should most UConn fans in attendance give up the tradition?

You also didn't add "if asked" and you didn't provide for cases where, maybe, the person behind the UConn fan is a fan of an opponent. I can tell you that I sat in front of Duke fans at the preseason NIT in MSG several years ago. Crowd was divided. We stood. They got snippy. I didn't sit. We were sitting in a section on the floor. They called over security. I reiterated that it was within my rights to stand. The security guy agreed but was polite. I said I would sit after the first made basket. He said ok. The Duke fans started making snide comments about UConn. I explained that my UConn degree got me accepted to MIT for grad school. They shut up.

You have to be careful with words like anyone or everyone or always or never.

"It is horribly rude to block the view of those behind you, whether it is big hair, big hats, or standing when those behind you are seated. It is a kindness to be considerate of your fellow basketball fans. Especially at a tournament. Those around you may be supporters of another team."

What I wrote is above. Do you see the word "anyone"?

I will not waste my fellow posters time replying to any more remarks on this post. If you choose to block the view of Duke fans, or others, that is your decision. I expect the majority of posters on this board choose to be considerate of others.

Reaction Score
Hardest part to accept is our the game has caught up with our beloved Lady Huskies. While overall it is great for the sport, I feel like a spoiled who's parent's decided to cut him off.
UConn huskies not lady huskies

Reaction Score
If you stood in front of me I would not be able to see the tipoff or any of the game until you sat down. It would be cruel of you to do that to me or anyone else who does not stand.

Last year at the final four, a ND fan had a big cat in the hat type hat. It blocked the view of about 3 people. One person, after politely pointing out that we could not see, and being ignored, contacted an usher who instructed the man to remove the hat. That's what it took. It's cruel to block others' view. Please reconsider your attitude.
I have zero desire to argue with anyone about this.

Please return to the original point of this thread: to congratulate Notre Dame on their victory.

Thank you and Peace.

Reaction Score
It came down to defense and rebounds. ND did not allow UConn to score and UConn allowed ND to score. Sometimes you really need to chase down a rebound. They won't all just fall into your hands.

Atleast5char

I did it; I let the dogs out.
Reaction Score
UConn did not lose this game because of poor shooting, although they did miss a number of makeable shots. The Huskies actually outshot the Irish 43% to 39%. UConn did not lose the game because of turnovers either, committing only 7 to ND’s 9.

UConn was -17 on the boards. The Huskies lack of size finally caught up with them. Geno understood the problem all too well when he sat Crystal down for Liv. That created a new problem of offensive execution, so he put Crystal back in the game. Under the circumstances, losing the rebounding battle by 17, it’s a small miracle that UConn hung in there as long as they did.

UConn has some outstanding talent returning next year. Christyn will eventually be a better player than either Ogunbowle or Durr. With Paige and maybe Azzi coming in behind her, the Huskies could have a series of outstanding guards capable of taking over games.

With all that talent, UConn just has to do a better job recruiting Bigs. They missed on Wilson, Cox and others over the past few years. Either one of those players probably changes the outcome of the last few tournaments. Losing out on Boston this year continues the unfortunate trend with Bigs.

I expect Liv will be very good, but she needs some help. UConn needs another Big or two who can play next year and beyond. Geno needs to aggressively pursue grad transfers, international players and HS 2020 recruits who can play up front.

If you look back to UConn’s 11 championships, most of them involved one or more dominant Bigs: Rebecca, Kara, Asa, Swin, Tamika, Tina, Steph, Tuck & Stewie.

Good points, but simple math (and Geno in post game interview) tells you the missed shots would've meant a UConn win had they been made.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good points, but simple math (and Geno in post game interview) tells you the missed shots would've meant a UConn win had they been made.
Over the years, UConn has had some bad shooting games and still come out on top. I don’t think there’s been a single game in the last 30 years that UConn has been -17 on the boards.

Reaction Score
Over the years, UConn has had some bad shooting games and still come out on top. I don’t think there’s been a single game in the last 30 years that UConn has been -17 on the boards.
This year defense and rebounding. When you have a bad night shooting if your defense and rebounding is strong you are in the game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This year defense and rebounding. When you have a bad night shooting if your defense and rebounding is strong you are in the game
My point exactly.

Reaction Score

The difference in this game was at the free throw line...6-9 (UConn) to 14-16 (ND)

Reaction Score
The difference in this game was at the free throw line...6-9 (UConn) to 14-16 (ND)
I agree, in that ND won the game at the line. They had a one point lead, but UConn had to foul. And they made most of their free throws. ND made 7-8 free throws in the closing minute. That means that for the other 39 minutes they were also 7-8. I hope you aren't implying ND flopped or got special treatment on fouls, because they didn't.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree, in that ND won the game at the line. They had a one point lead, but UConn had to foul. And they made most of their free throws. ND made 7-8 free throws in the closing minute. That means that for the other 39 minutes they were also 7-8. I hope you aren't implying ND flopped or got special treatment on fouls, because they didn't.
Respectfully, all too often we look at scoring as the determining factor in the outcome of a game. IMO, -17 on the boards was the single most important factor in the outcome of the game. When has UConn WBB ever been out rebounded by 17? As I said in another post, it was a small miracle that UConn hung around so long in a game they were -17 off the boards.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, all too often we look at scoring as the determining factor in the outcome of a game. IMO, -17 on the boards was the single most important factor in the outcome of the game. When has UConn WBB ever been out rebounded by 17? As I said in another post, it was a small miracle that UConn hung around so long in a game they were -17 off the boards.

Even though the -17 boards difference, I do not believe they were the deciding factor in the game, one of few perhaps. Went through the Play-by-Play of game and concentrated on ND's Offensive rebounds, two possessions/sequences (one in the 2nd and one in the 4th...see below) a total of 9 offensive boards in which ND came away with 5 total points. (By the way, box score says 22 OREB for ND, in play-by-play I counted 20, long season for these tired eyes). As we also mentioned earlier, I/you do not believe UConn shot "poorly" at 42.5% (31-73) to ND's 39% (30-77). IMO, there was not a single reason UConn lost, in total play both teams played even up, UConn was not the only team missing "easy" layups/jumpers, as the two offensive rebounds sequences pointed out.

1554647963366.png

Reaction Score

Was not even thinking of that, I just looked at box score. I believe in general the game was called even on both sides.

Reaction Score
The box score is misleading because
Was not even thinking of that, I just looked at box score. I believe in general the game was called even on both sides.

The box score is misleading because about half of ND'S free throws came in the last few minutes of the game, some because UCONN had to foul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom