Congrats to Griner... | The Boneyard

Congrats to Griner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great career, great player. She won't get the all time points record, nor will she win a 2nd NC in her 4 years at Baylor. Still, she will be great to see with Diana in Phoenix. Looking forward to seeing her in the pros...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Delaware loses, Baylor loses.
I said yesterday that EDD should be the No.1 pick.
I'm sure that after these 2 games some scouts and GM's will do some heavy thinking
Griner is stoppable, EDD is not.

Reaction Score
She laid a stinker in her quest to be a star. She will be out shined by many in the years to come. Good luck and good riddance. She got every advantage from officials because of her size. Today was an example of her commitment to be the best! Or lack of it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She laid a stinker in her quest to be a star. She will be out shined by many in the years to come. Good luck and good riddance. She got every advantage from officials because of her size. Today was an example of her commitment to be the best! Or lack of it.
What - did she come to your house and kick your dog or something?

Griner is a tremendous talent and she'll be a star in the pros. She played a passive game tonight, yes, but it doesn't taint everything she's accomplished during her career.

Reaction Score
No one in their right mind would pick EDD before Griner. Even if a team has a great center, they'd trade the pick or the great center.

That's the problem with having your Center be your best player. Baylor couldn't get the ball to her tonight, that's on the guards and KM as much as Griner.

Reaction Score
Well in her quest to be the best she should have taken over the game Ala Maya Moore or Diana or Sue Bird. Grinner looked dazed at times. I still remember Mulkey stating " You better get us now because we are going to be unbeatable for the next 4 years". Well 1 NC and out. I think its OK to feel good about their loss. I did not kick any dogs in this post. My dogs kick my butt every day . I weight 187, they weight 280 combined!

Reaction Score
this round the only ones to see were EDD and Skylar! I would add Mo Jeff, Stewwie< KML and Dolson!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
No one in their right mind would pick EDD before Griner. Even if a team has a great center, they'd trade the pick or the great center.

That's the problem with having your Center be your best player. Baylor couldn't get the ball to her tonight, that's on the guards and KM as much as Griner.

Baylor has great guards, the problem is she can be defended....
Maybe you have to have a team with the biggest player 6/2:)
The big, strong pros will kick her all over the court.
She doesn't rebound much either.
I don't think it's a slam dunk that she gets picked first.
EDD showed more variety, more heart, and a heck of a lot more offense.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Baylor has great guards, the problem is she can be defended....
Maybe you have to have a team with the biggest player 6/2:)
The big, strong pros will kick her all over the court.
She doesn't rebound much either.
I don't think it's a slam dunk that she gets picked first.
EDD showed more variety, more heart, and a heck of a lot more offense.
One of the differences between EDD and Griner is that EDD has the ball in her hands a lot more than Griner. If Griner is calling for the ball and the guards don't get it to her, she can't do much on offense. As for rebounding, Griner had 10, 5 of them offensive with Louisville defenders draped on her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Baylor and Griner seemed unprepared for how hard Louisville was going to fight in this game. Louisville literally scratched and clawed their way to this win. I thought the physical play on Griner in the first half was over the top but I also think hubris got the best of Baylor and Griner tonight.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Baylor and Griner seemed unprepared for how hard Louisville was going to fight in this game. Louisville literally scratched and clawed their way to this win. I thought the physical play on Griner in the first half was over the top but I also think hubris got the best of Baylor and Griner tonight.
Baylor may have overlooked the Cardinals. Oh - I just noticed that Baylor lost to the Cardinal and the Cardinals, lol.

Reaction Score
In fairness, she saw a gimmicky defense today that she won't face at the next level when players around her will be able to shoot. She had two players on her at all times, even without the ball. Shaq ran into that in the men's game - he never made a Final Four at LSU in 3 tries (Rod Sellers and Lyman DePriest helped knock him out one year). She'll have a huge impact defensively from day one, and will evolve offensively to be even better than she is now. I don't think you can pass on her.

Reaction Score
As much as I was pulling for Louisville, it's kinda hard to see a player like Griner go out like that.
IMO, kind of how ND obviously didn't like MM, but you have to respect a player as dominant as they both were in college.

Reaction Score
Delaware loses, Baylor loses.
I said yesterday that EDD should be the No.1 pick.
I'm sure that after these 2 games some scouts and GM's will do some heavy thinking
Griner is stoppable, EDD is not.

If Griner isn't the top pick, someone will be fired! If EDD was knocked around physically like Griner was today, she wouldn't have scored much either.

Reaction Score
Baylor may have overlooked the Cardinals. Oh - I just noticed that Baylor lost to the Cardinal and the Cardinals, lol.
In fairness, she saw a gimmicky defense today that she won't face at the next level when players around her will be able to shoot. She had two players on her at all times, even without the ball. Shaq ran into that in the men's game - he never made a Final Four at LSU in 3 tries (Rod Sellers and Lyman DePriest helped knock him out one year). She'll have a huge impact defensively from day one, and will evolve offensively to be even better than she is now. I don't think you can pass on her.
Both MM and Ogwumike came up short their last years and both still went number 1.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am sad to see BG lose her last game but there is a part of me that is glad that she is moving beyond the college game and much of the physical and verbal abuse. I think she is going to blow up the WNBA when she is no longer surrounded by multiple players pushing and shoving on her on virtually every play.

The "3 To See" will all have very successful careers. BG and DT will be TNT! I am very excited that BG will get to play with the greatest player in the history of the game. DT will help bring BG to a level of play that she has never achieved before.

Reaction Score
Great career, great player. She won't get the all time points record, nor will she win a 2nd NC in her 4 years at Baylor. Still, she will be great to see with Diana in Phoenix. Looking forward to seeing her in the pros...
I
I would go with EDD over Griner. Griner loses her temper too much and gets overly physical. EDD can hit the three and block shots. She to me would be the better all around player.

Reaction Score
What - did she come to your house and kick your dog or something?

Griner is a tremendous talent and she'll be a star in the pros. She played a passive game tonight, yes, but it doesn't taint everything she's accomplished during her career.
When she first came into college, she was pretty ordinary. She has evolved and has developed her skills, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. However her biggest asset is not her skill level but her height and her reach. In the WNBA she won't have the advantages that she has in college and she won't get nearly the calls that she gets now due to horrible college officials. She will be successful but she is not and will not be a superstar in the WNBA. Her assault on the record books was somewhat of a joke because she has such a physical advantage over her opponents. She will never have the skill level of Diana or Maya or Sue and many other WNBA players. She is the most talented 6'8" player to every play in college but to everyone who has had natural ability and then worked to refine their game to the extreme, she isn't even in the conversation.

Reaction Score
After the player tried to hip-toss her. Funny, no one has tried since. The punch was one of the best things that happened to her.

The best thing to ever happen to her was Odyssey Sims. Punching someone in the face probably ranks fourth or fifth.

Reaction Score
The best thing to ever happen to her was Odyssey Sims. Punching someone in the face probably ranks fourth or fifth.
The punch eliminated a lot of the cheap shots that frustrated her and stunted her game. I think Odyssey ranks second on that list. But you have valid point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom