Confirmed: 7 Catholic Schools Agree to Leave the BE | The Boneyard

Confirmed: 7 Catholic Schools Agree to Leave the BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Being reported on TV and by other news guys on the internet as now officially a done deal. Obviously we knew it was happening, but to have it actually now be done is just surreal. Think about the fall that this conference has experienced in the past 2 years.

Reaction Score
If we don't get snapped up by a major conference in the next few months, this could be the end of UConn basketball as we know it.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
At least we don't have to pay an exit fee. All those teams that left in the past 2 years are suckers.

Reaction Score
If Memphis could hold it's own in basketball, so can we. Key is fan support. We're amongst those next in line to be taken up by a "power conference". We're definitely next in line for the ACC. So far.

Reaction Score
If Memphis could hold it's own in basketball, so can we. Key is fan support. We're amongst those next in line to be taken up by a "power conference". We're definitely next in line for the ACC. So far.

I don't know that we should feel confident that we would be next in line for the ACC. They have had chances to add UConn and have again and again decided against it. I think that if FSU ended up leaving the ACC that the ACC would look long and hard at Cincy.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Marquette's running with the story

The Big East split is a done deal.

Marquette and six other defectors - St. John's, Villanova, Georgetown, DePaul, Providence and Seton Hall - will join Butler and Xavier of the Atlantic 10 to form a new basketball-centric league next season.

A 10th team could come from St. Louis, Dayton, Creighton or Virginia Commonwealth. The new league could even begin play with 12 teams.

The league will have rotating tournament sites. Marquette should get as least as much in the new TV contract as the $1.5 million it received from the Big East.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/183377221.html

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
Maybe that's our plan be the last one out and keep all the exit fees

Reaction Score
Weird thing is that UConn may never play in another Big East tournament...ever.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Marquette's running with the story

The Big East split is a done deal.

Marquette and six other defectors - St. John's, Villanova, Georgetown, DePaul, Providence and Seton Hall - will join Butler and Xavier of the Atlantic 10 to form a new basketball-centric league next season.

A 10th team could come from St. Louis, Dayton, Creighton or Virginia Commonwealth. The new league could even begin play with 12 teams.

The league will have rotating tournament sites. Marquette should get as least as much in the new TV contract as the $1.5 million it received from the Big East.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/183377221.html
I'm surprised they don't take a run at UMass, it would drop football in a heartbeat for that league. I guess not making the dance in 15 years takes a toll.

Reaction Score
So, the guy writing that article already knows it will be "next year" & there will be rotating tournament sites and how much their TV contract that hasn't been negotiated will bring. OK sure.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
So, the guy writing that article already knows it will be "next year" & there will be rotating tournament sites and how much their TV contract that hasn't been negotiated will bring. OK sure.

The Marquette crew and Buzz Williams have been chatting up a storm.

Did I say this was the first day I regret UConn upgrading the football program?

EAST
UConn
Cincinnati
Temple
ECU (All Sports Invitation)
USF
UCF

WEST
Memphis
Boise (All Sports Invitation)
SDSU (All Sports Invitation)
SMU
Houston
Tulane

Add Navy and Air Force in 2 years.

Reaction Score
UConn has no good choices right now. Ideally I'd want UConn to just suck it up and join the catholic schools for basketball and go independent in football until we know how this realignment is really going to end (if it ever does). But those catholic schools aren't going to want UConn in their conference because they know that they will be leaving the instant an invite materializes (again, if it ever does).

Reaction Score
The Marquette crew and Buzz Williams have been chatting up a storm.

Did I say this was the first day I regret UConn upgrading the football program?

EAST UConn
Cincinnati
Temple
ECU (All Sports Invitation)
USF
UCF

WEST
Memphis
Boise (All Sports Invitation)
SDSU (All Sports Invitation)
SMU
Houston
Tulane

Add Navy and Air Force in 2 years.
You need some more western schools to make it reasonable for SDSU and Boise. Pick a couple of flagship state universities like Nevada and New Mexico. Both are pretty decent in basketball as well.

Reaction Score
UConn has no good choices right now. Ideally I'd want UConn to just suck it up and join the catholic schools for basketball and go independent in football until we know how this realignment is really going to end (if it ever does). But those catholic schools aren't going to want UConn in their conference because they know that they will be leaving the instant an invite materializes (again, if it ever does).

By signalling it doesn't care about football, UConn would be joining such a league in perpetuity. It would become the next Umass.

Reaction Score
Football = albatross..no conference wants a retread like PP with an unproven product

Reaction Score
Providence, seton hall, depaul, villanova, st. johns all suck right now and will for the foreseeable future. Just because they are labeled basketball only schools doesn't mean they are any good at basketball. Enjoy watching butler, creighton, Xavier continue to make the NCAA tourney while you hope for a NIT bid.
In horrible but true news, I just got engaged to a st johns fan who went to villanova. She laughed at me today. Should I end it?

Reaction Score
Providence, seton hall, depaul, villanova, st. johns all suck right now and will for the foreseeable future. Just because they are labeled basketball only schools doesn't mean they are any good at basketball. Enjoy watching butler, creighton, Xavier continue to make the NCAA tourney while you hope for a NIT bid.
In horrible but true news, I just got engaged to a st johns fan who went to villanova. She laughed at me today. Should I end it?
Villanova went to a Final Four in 2009. They'll be fine. I also think St. John's is starting to turn things around. PC has been getting some good recruits, too. DePaul...DePaul.... oh, hell, I got nothing there.

I think it will be a very good basketball conference, consistently behind the ACC and B1G, but in that next tier with SEC and B12.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Memphis cheats their duck*ing asses off and has admission standards that would make a community college blush.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Memphis cheats their duck*ing asses off and has admission standards that would make a community college blush.
Which will somehow come as a surprise to the ACC when they see Louisville up close.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Weird thing is that UConn may never play in another Big East tournament...ever.
I wonder. If they vote to leave UConn can ask UCF and Cinci, the only other remaining schools for a revote.

Reaction Score
By signalling it doesn't care about football, UConn would be joining such a league in perpetuity. It would become the next Umass.

UConn is becoming the next UMass if they can't join a big time league, football or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom