"Confession of a UConn Women’s Fan: All Those Blowouts Bother Me, Um, Not At All" | The Boneyard

"Confession of a UConn Women’s Fan: All Those Blowouts Bother Me, Um, Not At All"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I enjoyed that article, mainly because i feel exactly the same way. I actually enjoy the blowouts almost more than the close games. One of my favorite games of the year was the absolute smackdown of OSU. It was a game UCONN won 100-56. OSU is a 3 seed and ranked in the top 10. But it was a great fun game to watch. Beautiful basketball and shutting down a really good team. Exposing every weakness OSU had.

Reaction Score
With UConn, the rush isn't about a nail-biter. The adrenalin comes from the superb pass, the switching D, the picture-perfect back door cut, the intense, in-the-moment attention, the unselfish extra pass, the mind blowing play that leaves me shaking my head in amazement...to name a few special moments.

UConn teams compete against themselves. Can they bring it play after play, game after game. Fundamentally, It isn't about the other team. It is simply about doing your best to raise your game every night.

As dedicated fans, we get our rush from watching the most consist, long-standing demonstration of peak performance. While the wins and stats are fun, the gold is in watching the players assume their power and do things on the court that they (and we) didn't know they they could.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Also it's not like it's actually that easy they just make it look that way. After all if people were really honest about it they would realize they are literally the Champion of all Champions:
"Over the course of the 2015-2016 season, UCONN has knocked off ACC champion Notre Dame (91-81), Big East champion Depaul (86-70), Big 10 champion Maryland (83-73) Southern Conference champion Tennessee-Chattanooga (79-31) and SEC champion South Carolina (66-54). To reach the third round match-up with Mississippi State, the Huskies shelled Atlantic 10 champ Duquesne (97-51) on Monday night." Just imagine if they get the opportunity to play either Oregon State or Baylor out of the Dallas region they have the opportunity to beat the Big 12 or the Pac 12 champs too....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I enjoyed that article, mainly because i feel exactly the same way. I actually enjoy the blowouts almost more than the close games. One of my favorite games of the year was the absolute smackdown of OSU. It was a game UCONN won 100-56. OSU is a 3 seed and ranked in the top 10. But it was a great fun game to watch. Beautiful basketball and shutting down a really good team. Exposing every weakness OSU had.

I've always enjoyed a blowout in my team's favor. But the blowouts against obviously overmatched teams are less fun. The kind of game you mention (blowouts versus ranked teams) are the most fun.

Reaction Score
I've always enjoyed a blowout in my team's favor. But the blowouts against obviously overmatched teams are less fun. The kind of game you mention (blowouts versus ranked teams) are the most fun.
I don't know... that 41-4 1st quarter the other night was pretty fun to watch.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't know... that 41-4 1st quarter the other night was pretty fun to watch.

That's part of the problem. The entertainment doesn't last long enough against the really weak teams. By the third quarter, I'm watching the benchwarmers make rudimentary errors and it becomes frustrating to watch.

Reaction Score
That's part of the problem. The entertainment doesn't last long enough against the really weak teams. By the third quarter, I'm watching the benchwarmers make rudimentary errors and it becomes frustrating to watch.
Our bench is not very good. Watching the second team go half a quarter without scoring is not entertaining, and basketball is supposed to be a form of entertainment.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Our bench is not very good. Watching the second team go half a quarter without scoring is not entertaining, and basketball is supposed to be a form of entertainment.

I agree - in case there is any confusion, I was referring to ND's bench. We've had so many games this year when the reserves went in with the game out of reach and then given up 25+ points in the 4th.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
This is certainly an issue I've thought about a lot since I started following the Huskies, especially in their super years (like the last four). I get a lot of ribbing from family members who think women's basketball is something of a joke, especially when UConn seems to continually win by 20-50 points. I think the writer of the article summed up my feelings when he talked of rooting for other teams that hadn't won in a long time. When I first became a UConn fan, I compared watching them to watching the great Yankee teams who never seemed to lose (and I go back to the days of Mantle, Ford, Berra, Maris, etc.--while always a Dodger fan I grew up in the Bronx a short distance from Yankee Stadium). But I think the writer really hit the jackpot when he talked about the pleasure of watching a team that is superbly coached and, even when they have a few bad moments, somehow know how to come out of it and succeed: "Then there’s also this. The UConn women simply play a game that’s a pleasure to watch. The passing, the shot selection, the defense. Things that, to be honest, a lot of other basketball these days is no longer about. It’s not that other teams are terrible. It’s just that the UConn women are really good." Unfortunately, I've never been able to convince the doubters, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the games (I think I've only missed two or three games on TV since the 2003-2004 season).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I share the writer's sentiment entirely. As a player, I loved nothing more than winning by a comfortable margin. The idea wasn't just to win, but to leave no doubt as to who the better team was. As a fervent supporter of UConn WBB, I love nothing more when they leave no doubt. My absolute favorite UConn performances have been those games — such as the 2000 final and 2002 semifinal vs. Tennessee, and the 2013 semifinal and 2014 final vs. Notre Dame — where they just wipe the floor with their greatest rival. Those were simply maestro performances.

Reaction Score
A UConn women's fan who likes Bob Dylan. I have a twin somewhere in the universe....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And he's right about this as well, "But if Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck, Kia Nurse and Katie Lou Samuelson are just a little off, and Notre Dame or South Carolina has a night when the shots are all falling, UConn could lose."

Reaction Score
I totally agree with you about blowouts, as long as we are doing it. That is why my husky icon is called "RunItUp." If you can't compete, expect a beatdown then don't whine about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom