Conference Thought Experiment | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Conference Thought Experiment

Reaction Score
I get it. It's ok to disagree. I just really hate the very idea of UConn becoming UNH or URI, which is what joining the Big East would do to UConn. It would be the end of UConn's aspirations to be something more than a local public U.

UConn started playing D1A football in 2000 as an independent. What was our enrollment then? What was our USNWR ranking? I believe, as the administration did then, that national perception of public universities is very much linked to football. It would be a massive mistake to abandon that.

I happen to think that UConn’s rise in its perception had to do more with the success of the basketball programs than football (along with the ever increasing cost of education, making UConn a more attractive choice for the noetheast’s top students).

If the public’s perception of the school is based on the football program, imagine what they think of us now??

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
It also wasn’t a better conference top to bottom. Although the Big East was down the AAC was the same as it is every year.

Yeah the only reason people here think AAC has had a better season is Houston being a 3 seed I guess. Overall Big East is better and its a little delusional to think that won't continue.

People talk about brand blah blah. That is what the Big East is and what the AAC will never be.

Reaction Score
I get it. It's ok to disagree. I just really hate the very idea of UConn becoming UNH or URI, which is what joining the Big East would do to UConn. It would be the end of UConn's aspirations to be something more than a local public U.

UConn started playing D1A football in 2000 as an independent. What was our enrollment then? What was our USNWR ranking? I believe, as the administration did then, that national perception of public universities is very much linked to football. It would be a massive mistake to abandon that.
1000% agree with this. I also think there might be a divide between alumni/students and non-alumni Husky fans on this matter. I'm not going to knock someone who is just a MBB fan for wanting what's best for the team in the moment, but personally my life would literally benefit from Uconn being as big of a brand as possible, so I'm willing to keep going with this AAC push. There are a LOT of schools I wouldn't have known existed if it weren't for sports, and as ridiculous as it sounds that stuff actually influences things in the real world (job interviews, networking, etc.)

Reaction Score
PC is the only team on that list I have any interest in playing. Maybe Xavier. We can schedule PC out of conference. I hated that DePaul and Marquette were in the BE back when we were in it with them.

Right, and the few other Big East teams that would be exciting to play we have and are continuing to schedule OOC. As far as excitement for basketball to me the Big East has the big advantage of a much better conference tournament, and that's about it.

Reaction Score
1000% agree with this. I also think there might be a divide between alumni/students and non-alumni Husky fans on this matter. I'm not going to knock someone who is just a MBB fan for wanting what's best for the team in the moment, but personally my life would literally benefit from Uconn being as big of a brand as possible, so I'm willing to keep going with this AAC push. There are a LOT of schools I wouldn't have known existed if it weren't for sports, and as ridiculous as it sounds that stuff actually influences things in the real world (job interviews, networking, etc.)

Even though I disagree with you, this is an interesting take. I’m a UConn alum and, living in Atlanta, my degree being associated with the likes of UCF and Memphis (schools that people literally laughs at when they pop up on resumes-Ive been in the room!) drives me crazy. I want my school’s brand to be associated with Georgetown and Villanova.

It’s an interesting question, though, alum vs non alum. I just assumed alum (on the Boneyard, anyway) would be more likely to support moving to the NBE but maybe that’s just my own bias speaking.

What’d y’all have to say about it?

Reaction Score
Even though I disagree with you, this is an interesting take. I’m a UConn alum and, living in Atlanta, my degree being associated with the likes of UCF and Memphis (schools that people literally laughs at when they pop up on resumes-Ive been in the room!) drives me crazy. I want my school’s brand to be associated with Georgetown and Villanova.

It’s an interesting question, though, alum vs non alum. I just assumed alum (on the Boneyard, anyway) would be more likely to support moving to the NBE but maybe that’s just my own bias speaking.

I mean, if I saw a Depaul resume I would probably (unfairly) chuckle too. I'm just kind of a bougie private school hater too and I want to see all of them fall. I want to get back to chip-on-shoulder Uconn and combine with Memphis, Cincy, Houston, and Wichita to just wreck all of those teams for years to come. We will never get their approval in either athletics or academics because they are a bunch of entitled snobby tools. Not to mention outside of Georgetown and maaaaybe Villanova none of the BE schools are exactly academic powerhouses. They do have strong alumni networks from years of upper class inbreeding, but honestly the students are meh. I'm done with them, don't want anything to do with them other than beating them by 30 in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score

How old are you? No one associates your degree with any other school than the one you graduate from. I've lived all over the world and have had no issues even when I went to grad school at USF no one made a connection.

Reaction Score
How old are you? No one associates your degree with any other school than the one you graduate from. I've lived all over the world and have had no issues even when I went to grad school at USF no one made a connection.

Grad school is different anddd I’m not so sure about that, at least down here those SEC schools and Tobacco Road/original ACC schools are so connected that people really do associate conference with school (and now that I think about it, Big 10 alum were that way in DC too).

Reaction Score
Grad school is different anddd I’m not so sure about that, at least down here those SEC schools and Tobacco Road/original ACC schools are so connected that people really do associate conference with school (and now that I think about it, Big 10 alum were that way in DC too).
Big 10 alum are sooo obnoxious with that

Reaction Score
WE had better hunker down and hope the American brings in some more quality B-Ball programs

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm going to have to check you on that as I lived in the research triangle for a long time. Apex / Cary and you are basically making stuff up. Whatever. You forgot to relay your age.

Reaction Score
I mean, if I saw a Depaul resume I would probably (unfairly) chuckle too.
Would you really want to work at a place that judges a person they have not met just based on the UNI they went to? Sounds kind of..narrow minded.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm going to have to check you on that as I lived in the research triangle for a long time. Apex / Cary and you are basically making stuff up. Whatever. You forgot to relay your age.

Yeah you’re right, where you go to college has absolutely no barring on your career.

Look, I’ve had one experience, you’ve clearly had another. I’m just relaying what I’ve experienced. Maybe the fields we work in are different?

I’m between the ages of 28 and 38.

Reaction Score
Would you really want to work at a place that judges a person they have not met just based on the UNI they went to? Sounds kind of..narrow minded.
It's the real world. I didn't mean it so much in the workplace relations way as in the recruiting/HR way, especially in more lucrative fields.

As an example, Houston (the city) is really on the up and up economically, and say you're a UConn engineer and want to work at one of their mammoth oil firms or some biotech startup out of MD Anderson. That's a market- a big one- that suddenly opens up a little bit if the Uconn name is more consistently in the minds of even a fraction of the people there. This all takes place over years and years obviously, but in order for our school to join the likes of Michigan or UVA we need a more national and growth-oriented focus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's the real world. I didn't mean it so much in the workplace relations way as in the recruiting/HR way, especially in more lucrative fields.
*shrugs* skilled people come from all over.

Reaction Score
We need to win.... win... win... and win some more. Then we get the damn invite. If we were in Cinci, UCF, or Houston’s shoes with b-ball and football I think we would have gotten an invite already. The history is there but non-UConn fans don’t take us seriously anymore. Gotta freaking WIN!

Reaction Score
Yeah you’re right, where you go to college has absolutely no barring on your career.

Look, I’ve had one experience, you’ve clearly had another. I’m just relaying what I’ve experienced. Maybe the fields we work in are different?

I’m between the ages of 28 and 38.
Who is talking about career direction? No one. Global Insurance Brokerage here so... Here is the truth. people in North Carolina will pretend like they don't know that UConn has a men's basketball team. They compliment the women's team and pretend like they don't know about the men's team. then you refresh their memory and they know and then pretend to forget that we play football.

That's North Carolina and the South. Compliment women's team, feign ignorance on Men's team, really don't know we play football.

Reaction Score
Who is talking about career direction? No one. Global Insurance Brokerage here so... Here is the truth. people in North Carolina will pretend like they don't know that UConn has a men's basketball team. They compliment the women's team and pretend like they don't know about the men's team. then you refresh their memory and they know and then pretend to forget that we play football.

That's North Carolina and the South. Compliment women's team, feign ignorance on Men's team, really don't know we play football.

I don’t even remember what we were arguing about. Everything you said here sounds about right, though. Peace out, my dude.

Reaction Score
I'd say the statement about folks in the south ignoring UConn football is close enough to be called true.

Except for Duke/UNC, and maybe Va, the south is fairly football centric.

And the Huskies have not really done much to draw southern attention to the football brand.

But...everyone associates UConn with basketball, especially the women's dynasty.

Reaction Score
And likewise...I'd bet that, maybe until very lately....folks in the northeast never associated FSU, Clemson, VT, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, etc with a national class basketball brand.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Sure they do. If you go to Brown or Columbia or where ever, people tend to think, "oh an Ivy League guy".

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Was a better conference and was viewed as a major. The American is better. Right now it is.

This is, literally and factually, not true.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    57.4 KB · Views: 30

zls44

Reaction Score
Was a better conference and was viewed as a major. The American is better. Right now it is.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 30

zls44

Reaction Score

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 20

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member