Conference Thought Experiment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Conference Thought Experiment

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A scheduling alliance is the only way to make independence works. We would need a couple guaranteed games every year, and probably from multiple conferences

Disclaimer: The below is pure fantasy, with that said, everything on here is.

If the Big East let us play Indy football, the move would have to presumably be blessed and funded by Fox Sports and then SNY to show our games.

You would have have to figure any AAC program is never scheduling you and likely won't get much love from other ESPN exclusive properties, so you're left with B1G and Big12 by virtue of some sort of Fox induced scheduling agreement with the bottom half of each league, and then G5 programs. So maybe Fox says B1G/Big12 give these guys 4 games every year, so how do we get to 12 games?

Always Home: Local FCS (URI, Maine, UNH)
Home/Home: 2 B1G games, 2 Big12 games, BYU, Army, New Mexico State, Liberty, 2 MAC, Rotating local FBS (Rutgers, Cuse, Pitt, BC, etc.)

Schedule:
1. Home - URI (SNY)
2. Away - Kansas (Fox Sports)
3. Home - Indiana (Fox Sports)
4. Away - Buffalo (SNY)
5. Home - New Mexico State (SNY)
6. Home - Toledo (SNY)
7. Away - Liberty (SNY)
8. Away - Pitt (ESPN)
9. Home - Illinois (Fox Sports)
10. Away - Iowa State (Fox Sports)
11. Home - BYU (ESPN)
12. Away - Army (SNY)

So that still leaves you with a pretty unappealing home slate, no league, and no bowl game. We would have a program in name only. Is it even worth it at that point?

Reaction Score
[

If the Big East let us play Indy football, the move would have to presumably be blessed and funded by Fox Sports and then SNY to show our games.

You would have have to figure any AAC program is never scheduling you and likely won't get much love from other ESPN exclusive properties, so you're left with B1G and Big12 by virtue of some sort of Fox induced scheduling agreement with the bottom half of each league, and then G5 programs. So maybe Fox says B1G/Big12 give these guys 4 games every year, so how do we get to 12 games?

Home/Home: 2 B1G games, 2 Big12 games, BYU, Army, New Mexico State, Liberty, 2 MAC, Rotating local FBS (Rutgers, Cuse, Pitt, BC, etc.)

Schedule:
1. Home - URI (SNY)
4. Away - Buffalo (SNY)
6. Home - Toledo (SNY)
7. Away - Liberty (SNY)
8. Away - Pitt (ESPN)
11. Home - BYU (ESPN)
12. Away - Army (SNY)

So that still leaves you with a pretty unappealing home slate, no league, and no bowl game. We would have a program in name only. Is it even worth it at that point?

I’d take that

Reaction Score

Schedule:
1. Home - URI (SNY)
4. Away - Buffalo (SNY)
6. Home - Toledo (SNY)
7. Away - Liberty (SNY)
8. Away - Pitt (ESPN)
11. Home - BYU (ESPN)
12. Away - Army (SNY)

I guarantee attendance would boom if that was our schedule. Connecticut cares about brand names. Fans will show for games against recognizable opponents. They're never going to turn out for Tulsa or Tulane.

Reaction Score

Schedule:
1. Home - URI (SNY)
4. Away - Buffalo (SNY)
6. Home - Toledo (SNY)
7. Away - Liberty (SNY)
8. Away - Pitt (ESPN)
11. Home - BYU (ESPN)
12. Away - Army (SNY)

Um, we're a program in name only right now. I would also much prefer that schedule to what they have now.

Reaction Score
The marginal value a school would have to bring to be included in the B1G is so high, only a few schools qualify as both viable candidates and possible options. Those schools are in the Big12.

Doesn't UConn bring a lot of marginal value in the person of the population of New England and somewhat the Tri-State area and the eyeballs that subscribe to the cable networks of the region?

Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn bring a lot of marginal value in the person of the population of New England and somewhat the Tri-State area and the eyeballs that subscribe to the cable networks of the region?

Haventyaheard?

Cable is dying!

It’s all about streaming content!

Reaction Score

Schedule:
1. Home - URI (SNY)
4. Away - Buffalo (SNY)
6. Home - Toledo (SNY)
7. Away - Liberty (SNY)
8. Away - Pitt (ESPN)
11. Home - BYU (ESPN)
12. Away - Army (SNY)

You: “But what about bowl tie-ins?!” (hilariously thinking this program has any chance of winning 6 games in even the medium future)

Me: partner with ESPN/Fox and Sox and create the Fenway Bowl!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For a B1G invite would you live with poop in your pants 24/7?

That's what Depends is for. You're sitting in another meeting going nowhere, the boss offers a really stupid idea, you take a crap in your pants and don't even flinch. Silent protest.

Now, being constipated for a month... not totally sure you can live through that level of backup.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why would they want us to drop it? If they offered all sports but football, we'd just take football independent. Yes, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. Hopefully they'd help us by playing a few games against us each year as well. It's the same deal Notre Dame has more or less.

Why would anyone of consequence want to schedule UCONN for football out of conference? Notre Dame makes it work because they've a built in audience/draw.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
Why would anyone of consequence want to schedule UCONN for football out of conference? Notre Dame makes it work because they've a built in audience/draw.

These big programs will pay us to go to them and beat us. Will fund out football program. easy as that. Sign me up.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
IMHO, ACC is 1, B10 is 2, any other P5 conference is 3, but that is maybe only B12, if that, because the P12 or SEC is not realistic at all (P12 isn't very appealing either) so #3 might as well be B12, but some people have been saying they have doubts about it long term.

My process thought here was if we could choose any conference it would be ACC. After that I don't really care, anything but the AAC is better. But if we get more granular, I agree with you.

Reaction Score
It is tho...
Look, I agree that is the future. However, right now even lowly ESPNU is in 70 million homes; ESPN+ is in barely 2 million.

People knew that mankind was working it’s way towards flight, but a whole lot of people had to jump off cliffs and die before we achieved it.

UConn and the AAC are being pushed off the cliff by ESPN.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Well the Big Ten said we count as a P5 team towards the obligation of B1G teams to schedule certain teams. As an example.

I don't think it's likely that this happens. But UMass is independent and beat us last year.

Reaction Score
I’m just trying to get a gauge on those of you who don’t want to drop football;

If the ACC or Big 10 offered partial membership for all sports IF we dropped football would you drop football?

Basically what I’m asking is; are you advocating keeping football because you think it’s important for the school to play football or are you advocating keeping football because you think it’s the key to getting the athletic department into a better conference?

A little of both. I like football, I've loved going to games in the past, I hope to again in the future. Even if our ceiling is 6 or 7 wins a year, in the American, or less than that but getting to play big time teams in a p5 conference. Ideally, we someday get in a p5 and that happens.

I care about remaining a basketball power more than that though, so yes there are hypothetical but not realistic scenarios I'd be willing to drop football. If the ACC brought us in for basketball only on the condition we drop football, I'd do it. If somehow dropping football magically brought back the old Big East for basketball and gave it stability, I'd do it. I think it's laughable to drop football just to join the current conference that bought the Big East name though.

Reaction Score
A little of both. I like football, I've loved going to games in the past, I hope to again in the future. Even if our ceiling is 6 or 7 wins a year, in the American, or less than that but getting to play big time teams in a p5 conference. Ideally, we someday get in a p5 and that happens.

I care about remaining a basketball power more than that though, so yes there are hypothetical but not realistic scenarios I'd be willing to drop football. If the ACC brought us in for basketball only on the condition we drop football, I'd do it. If somehow dropping football magically brought back the old Big East for basketball and gave it stability, I'd do it. I think it's laughable to drop football just to join the current conference that bought the Big East name though.

I dont agree with you re: NBE; but I appreciate you actually answering the question

Reaction Score
People knew that mankind was working it’s way towards flight, but a whole lot of people had to jump off cliffs and die before we achieved it.

UConn and the AAC are being pushed off the cliff by ESPN.
I would compare it more to being the first ones in the pool, even if we were pushed in. I just don't buy that it's a zero sum game, as it's not like the technology or demand isn't there. Again, you could look at the raw numbers of subscriptions or you can look at the proportion of those subscriptions purchased by people under 40 and see that streaming is absolutely the next generation of media consumption.

Ex: I've probably watched Ja Morant play 6-7 times this year because Youtube TV automatically suggests buzzy games regardless of channel, whereas if I had cable I'd just thrown on ESPN and watch whatever they're showing. It's amazing, it always suggests the shows/games that I genuinely want to watch, just one click away. Plus, now Murray State just made a bunch more money from other people like me. Like, old people gonna old people and not get with better technology, but that's not how you think about the future from a business and technology standpoint. A much worse deal than the admittedly not great one we have would be for us as an institution to just stubbornly entrench ourselves in nostalgia.

Reaction Score
I’m just trying to get a gauge on those of you who don’t want to drop football;

If the ACC or Big 10 offered partial membership for all sports IF we dropped football would you drop football?

Basically what I’m asking is; are you advocating keeping football because you think it’s important for the school to play football or are you advocating keeping football because you think it’s the key to getting the athletic department into a better conference?

I plan to make a billion dollars in the next two years then give 100 Million to the Athletic Department with the contingency we drop football and go back to the Big East.

Reaction Score

Schedule:
1. Home - URI (SNY)
4. Away - Buffalo (SNY)
6. Home - Toledo (SNY)
7. Away - Liberty (SNY)
8. Away - Pitt (ESPN)
11. Home - BYU (ESPN)
12. Away - Army (SNY)

Yes because we would be in a Basketball conference, attendance goes up, recruiting gets better, and fans are happy again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would compare it more to being the first ones in the pool, even if we were pushed in. I just don't buy that it's a zero sum game, as it's not like the technology or demand isn't there. Again, you could look at the raw numbers of subscriptions or you can look at the proportion of those subscriptions purchased by people under 40 and see that streaming is absolutely the next generation of media consumption.

Ex: I've probably watched Ja Morant play 6-7 times this year because Youtube TV automatically suggests buzzy games regardless of channel, whereas if I had cable I'd just thrown on ESPN and watch whatever they're showing. It's amazing, it always suggests the shows/games that I genuinely want to watch, just one click away. Plus, now Murray State just made a bunch more money from other people like me. Like, old people gonna old people and not get with better technology, but that's not how you think about the future from a business and technology standpoint. A much worse deal than the admittedly not great one we have would be for us as an institution to just stubbornly entrench ourselves in nostalgia.

Murray State didn’t make a cent off you watching their games.

You Tube TV is just cable using a different wire.

Reaction Score
Murray State didn’t make a cent off you watching their games.

You Tube TV is just cable using a different wire.
Maybe not directly but I'd bet that their brand value increased, all things/Ja being equal, as a result of easier access to their games. My point was supposed to be that if a product is good, over-the-top streaming packages will actually increase people's exposure to that product.

I guess you could call Youtube TV that, but I definitely think there is value-added over standard cable in terms of user experience. I guess Roku/Chromecast is more representative of the streaming services we are talking about, i.e. where you can "add" ESPN+ or whatever. But still, I think these higher-level, over-the-top providers will start to develop user interfaces that mimic and subsume the Youtube TV interface, e.g. turn the TV on and suggestions from across your various streaming channels are the first thing you see, whereas now on Roku there are just different "channel" icons, which each have their own internal UI.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe not directly but I'd bet that their brand value increased, all things/Ja being equal, as a result of easier access to their games. My point was supposed to be that if a product is good, over-the-top streaming packages will actually increase people's exposure to that product.

I guess you could call Youtube TV that, but I definitely think there is value-added over standard cable in terms of user experience. I guess Roku/Chromecast is more representative of the streaming services we are talking about, i.e. where you can "add" ESPN+ or whatever. But still, I think these higher-level, over-the-top providers will start to develop user interfaces that mimic and subsume the Youtube TV interface, e.g. turn the TV on and suggestions from across your various streaming channels are the first thing you see, whereas now on Roku there are just different "channel" icons, which each have their own internal UI.

The X1 interface with Comcast runs laps around You Tube TV and anything else on the market. Cox has a stripped down version - Contour. Do you really think they don’t have the ability to feed you what is trending? I can sort television by what is trending on twitter.

Murray State doesn’t have a brand. There have been hundreds of players and upsets that got a school a brief moment in the sun and none of it has any lasting value. It just becomes trivia - there is no permanent value. UMBC will forever be the 16 that beat a 1 and besides people regurgitating that fact there is nothing else to add.

ESPN+ has 1/43rd the subs that ESPN has and many of them are there for UFC - it’s complete and total fantasyland lunacy that ESPN+ would increase exposure to the properties relative to their linear networks.

Reaction Score
Look, I agree that is the future. However, right now even lowly ESPNU is in 70 million homes; ESPN+ is in barely 2 million.
2 million and 1 if I have to stream husky games

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom