Conference Realignment Post Mortem Thread | The Boneyard

Conference Realignment Post Mortem Thread

Reaction Score
I've seen this conversation pop-up across different threads and thought it needed a better home. I'm ready to move on, but also think its interesting to reflect on what has transpired now that things have cooled off. A couple of my observations:

1) Uconn is in pretty good shape today. We're not in a P5, but compare us to our old rivals: Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, BC and West Virginia. I'd argue that we've built our brand more, have better coaches and more athletic success than the group. Sure those schools benefit from better conference contracts, but from a 'Cuse POV (for example), we were near equals in basketball in the early 2,000's and now Uconn is a truly national brand, a Blue Blood and 'Cuse is in the wilderness. Nobody has even heard of BC at this point. It isn't unreasonable to make the case that "we won" in the end.

2) Schools missed the point. Traditional rivalries really matter. If CR is all about $$$, and $$$ is about eyes on TVs - you have to have exciting athletics. You only get that with games that matter. This I think is why Uconn floundered in the AAC and our old rivals are largely irrelevant today. Nothing would be better for Syracuse and Pitt than to be in the BE and play Uconn in the Garden. Yet I remember when they left the BE they widely declared how they fit better culturally, academically, etc. with the ACC. How's that working out for ya?

3) Getting to a P5 in the long-term is important. Though I'm glad we'll likely have at least a few more years of BE conference tournaments and interesting independent fball schedules, there is too much risk out there to assume we'll be able to keep up with the P5s in the long-term. I'm talking about facilities, coaches, NIL AND issues like access to national championships and tournaments. My assumption is that we need to be looking pretty strong / attractive at least a couple of years before 2036 at the very latest, but maybe much sooner. I think 10 years of decent football play (average years, plus a few years with strong records), crowds and name building would put us in the best position possible for long-term realignment. Building our brand into NY during this time wouldn't hurt. I don't know how to square this with #2 above since I do think changing conferences will ultimately hurt Uconn in a different kind of way. I think this is what is at the heart of the debates we've all had in this forum...we kind of all recognize that while we need the money, we may find that the games don't matter too much anymore and there is less to care about.

4) Change may happen sooner. To me it seems that the B12 may come knocking the next year or two. I also believe the ACC would be foolish to not target Uconn. They're falling behind in numbers and there aren't a hell of a lot of possible schools left.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As we have seen, the end of a conference media contract is the catalyst to speed up realignment and the next key dates are around 2030/2031 for the SEC/Big 10/Big 12 media contracts. We will see one more conference realignment shuffle in the next month with the resolution of what happens to the 4 Pac 12 left behinds. Maybe that will create an opportunity for UConn, but probably not. After that, I expect conference realignment to be quiet for a couple of years unless FSU figures out how to leave the ACC. When the ACC media contract gets close to expiration (or someone figures out how to get out of the GORs) I expect an opportunity for UConn to arise.

One point on the Big 12. I know basketball doesn't drive realignment, but I think the loss of Texas and Oklahoma and the expansion of the conference from 10 teams to 16 teams has diluted the quality of Big 12 basketball. If basketball starts to fade, maybe this will be an opportunity for UConn.

Reaction Score
As we have seen, the end of a conference media contract is the catalyst to speed up realignment and the next key dates are around 2030/2031 for the SEC/Big 10/Big 12 media contracts. We will see one more conference realignment shuffle in the next month with the resolution of what happens to the 4 Pac 12 left behinds. Maybe that will create an opportunity for UConn, but probably not. After that, I expect conference realignment to be quiet for a couple of years unless FSU figures out how to leave the ACC. When the ACC media contract gets close to expiration (or someone figures out how to get out of the GORs) I expect an opportunity for UConn to arise.

One point on the Big 12. I know basketball doesn't drive realignment, but I think the loss of Texas and Oklahoma and the expansion of the conference from 10 teams to 16 teams has diluted the quality of Big 12 basketball. If basketball starts to fade, maybe this will be an opportunity for UConn.

It isn’t as great a player basketball conference as advertised. Expansion diluted it and it was a tad overrated already. The Big East was the best conference last season, the tourney bore that out. Regardless, as a big football fan, I wish we were in the B12. I am going to keep the faith that this works out for us in the end. When the first rounds of realignment struck, I didn’t think we’d see 3 more basketball natty’s and the hiring of Jim Mora in the near future, yet here we are. Keep fighting, buy tickets, donate money, vote in online polls etc. Let’s just continue to do what we do, eventually, we will get where we need to go.

Reaction Score
I imagine B12 basketball conference rpi will tank a bit upcoming

pj

Reaction Score
UConn is the most undervalued property in college athletics. It seems pretty certain that more disruption will be coming, so at least there's no place to go but up. A lot of other schools can go down from here (BC, Cuse for example).

Reaction Score
Until UConn gets into a power conference, it still seems like the football recruits are BC,PSU and Cuse leftovers. This would change.

Reaction Score
The main thing UCONN football needs to do is build on the improvement of last year. Year in and year out we need to have records of at least 7–5 or 8-4 or better, along with regular bowl matchups. We string a few years together of winning Seasons and bowl games. We should be in good shape. The next time conference is looking to expand.

Reaction Score
The main thing UCONN football needs to do is build on the improvement of last year. Year in and year out we need to have records of at least 7–5 or 8-4 or better, along with regular bowl matchups. We string a few years together of winning Seasons and bowl games. We should be in good shape. The next time conference is looking to expand.
Yes. The schedule has to get stronger too, especially at the rent

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yes. The schedule has to get stronger too, especially at the rent
This is going to be the issue. If anyone looks at the upcoming home slate for 2024 and 2025, look away.....our attendance, even if we are halfway decent, will likely not be great.

There will not be another P4 team coming to the Rent until 2026 after this season. Just look at the home slate for 2024 and '25 and tell me who is buying season Tix to that. You can bet that attendance will be used as another BS excuse for why we get left out in the next round. Unfortunately, it will be the schedule that affects attendance, not on field play.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is going to be the issue. If anyone looks at the upcoming home slate for 2024 and 2025, look away.....our attendance, even if we are halfway decent, will likely not be great.

There will not be another P4 team coming to the Rent until 2026 after this season. Just look at the home slate for 2024 and '25 and tell me who is buying season Tix to that. You can bet that attendance will be used as another BS excuse for why we get left out in the next round. Unfortunately, it will be the schedule that affects attendance, not on field play.
I will be and I imagine more people than we've had buying them over the past half dozen years.

I imagine from your handle that you will be attending games. I personally believe that as winning becomes a more consistent part of the program our attendance will increase but it needs to increase but quite a bit, and it needs to be due to fans showing up to watch UConn more than because of who the opponent is.

The message that needs to be sent to the entirety of our fans bases and alumni base:

If you are a fan of the school and want what's best for it's future, go to UConn football games.
If you are a fan of the men's basketball program and want what's best for it's future, go to UConn football games.
If you are a fan of the women's basketball program and want what's best for it's future, go to UConn football games.
If you are a fan of the baseball, hockey or soccer programs and want what's best for their future, go to UConn football games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t know that a couple of extra wins by Mora will move the needle that much. Colorado’s football program has been a dumpster fire for its entire history, and it gets to jump to whatever league it wants. ASU and Utah are redundant from a market perspective, and both beat out UConn in this round of realignment. 8-4 vs 7-5 is not going to matter.

The Transfer Portal and NIL will flatten out talent, so UConn can continue to be competitive on the field if it wants to commit to it. The bigger issue is that UConn has to figure out a way to dominate the northeast market from BCU and Syracuse, and do it in a way that is objectively measurable. Leveraging basketball can go a long way to this. Subscriptions through a streaming service is one way, but I am sure there are others. Until conferences think that they must have UConn to be in the northeast, we will never be in a major conference.

Reaction Score
I will be and I imagine more people than we've had buying them over the past half dozen years.

I imagine from your handle that you will be attending games. I personally believe that as winning becomes a more consistent part of the program our attendance will increase but it needs to increase but quite a bit, and it needs to be due to fans showing up to watch UConn more than because of who the opponent is.

The message that needs to be sent to the entirety of our fans bases and alumni base:

If you are a fan of the school and want what's best for it's future, go to UConn football games.
If you are a fan of the men's basketball program and want what's best for it's future, go to UConn football games.
If you are a fan of the women's basketball program and want what's best for it's future, go to UConn football games.
If you are a fan of the baseball, hockey or soccer programs and want what's best for their future, go to UConn football games.
Agree 100% but we know that’s not reality.
BB only fans don’t see connection with football and at best are apathetic. Many openly root against football success.

The bigger thing is, yes winning will help. But the casual fans also need big games that mean something.

If we can’t get Px schools, I think we have to get the Boise’s, Pac leftovers, service academies, and other top G5 schools. Umass and BC are great local matchups.

Liberty was a nice unexpected Top 25 game last year. Need more of those when possible.

Reaction Score
BB only fans don’t see connection with football and at best are apathetic. Many openly root against football success.

The bigger thing is, yes winning will help. But the casual fans also need big games that mean something.

If we can’t get Px schools, I think we have to get the Boise’s, Pac leftovers, service academies, and other top G5 schools. Umass and BC are great local matchups.

Liberty was a nice unexpected Top 25 game last year. Need more of those when possible.
As conferences get bigger it gets harder to fill the football schedule with P4s. Schools may have to play two more schools in their conference.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Very true.

In all candor my first reaction to our joining the new BE and going independent in football was that we intentionally were going to slowly move the program to where we had no choice but to drop football to FCS as I didn't see how we could put together schedules with any legitimate opponents.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the scheduling, even though it could use a few stronger home opponents here and there and having 2/3 of our home schedule completed this upcoming season before October first is far from ideal.

I believe that our basketball programs can help us add some P5(4) opponents going forward and there are enough G level programs that field ranked teams periodically (Boise St and Liberty as you mentioned, also possibly a school like Coastal Carolina, possibly renewing games with Fresno St and Utah St).

Benedict appears to be more creative and aggressive than the two guys who preceded him and he appears to be far more driven for success than they were. I think we will see some very good things from the program in the near future.

Finally, if any if my prior posts offended you, my apologies. At all of the games I am normally pretty easy to find in the blue lot so I'd like you to stop by for food & a beer. You have an open invitation for any and all games.

Reaction Score
Very true.

In all candor my first reaction to our joining the new BE and going independent in football was that we intentionally were going to slowly move the program to where we had no choice but to drop football to FCS as I didn't see how we could put together schedules with any legitimate opponents.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the scheduling, even though it could use a few stronger home opponents here and there and having 2/3 of our home schedule completed this upcoming season before October first is far from ideal.

I believe that our basketball programs can help us add some P5(4) opponents going forward and there are enough G level programs that field ranked teams periodically (Boise St and Liberty as you mentioned, also possibly a school like Coastal Carolina, possibly renewing games with Fresno St and Utah St).

Benedict appears to be more creative and aggressive than the two guys who preceded him and he appears to be far more driven for success than they were. I think we will see some very good things from the program in the near future.

Finally, if any if my prior posts offended you, my apologies. At all of the games I am normally pretty easy to find in the blue lot so I'd like you to stop by for food & a beer. You have an open invitation for any and all games.
Very true.

What about the rest of us?

Reaction Score

I agree 100%! People need to show up to the games not just the 15,000 very hardcore fans that show up for all the games!

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
What about the rest of us?
Khal,

You also have an open invitation

If you don't have tickets I'll be able to supply those as well to most football games (for Duke i may not have any spares).

Reaction Score
The Transfer Portal and NIL will flatten out talent, so UConn can continue to be competitive on the field if it wants to commit to it. The bigger issue is that UConn has to figure out a way to dominate the northeast market from BCU and Syracuse, and do it in a way that is objectively measurable. Leveraging basketball can go a long way to this. Subscriptions through a streaming service is one way, but I am sure there are others. Until conferences think that they must have UConn to be in the northeast, we will never be in a major conference.
The fact that UConn MBB is playing four regular season games at Madison Square Garden (I presume one of them will be vs St Johns) is something to take note of. They are proactively claiming NYC as their market by being there frequently so when markets are in play in future negotiations, they are well positioned to harp on that in a legitimate fashion. That fact that WBB games are on SNY is another plus for connections there. There's no guarantee this strategy will pay dividends but at least it's an attempt to distinguish themselves within their home market and be propped up by NYC too when the next wave of expansion or realignment transpires. Certainly they can claim more presence in the NYC market than the lottery winning Rutgers programs can.

Granted your post was directed at football, but success and UConn butts in the seats at the "world's most famous arena" isn't a bad thing to promote.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that UConn MBB is playing four regular season games at Madison Square Garden (I presume one of them will be vs St Johns) is something to take note of. They are proactively claiming NYC as their market by being there frequently so when markets are in play in future negotiations, they are well positioned to harp on that in a legitimate fashion. That fact that WBB games are on SNY is another plus for connections there. There's no guarantee this strategy will pay dividends but at least it's an attempt to distinguish themselves within their home market and be propped up by NYC too when the next wave of expansion or realignment transpires. Certainly they can claim more presence in the NYC market than the lottery winning Rutgers programs can.
Every time I see those announcements of UConn playing at MSG, I laugh and I hope that Brett Yormark chokes on them. I guess you could say I'm bitter LOL. I think I quoted Yormark's remarks about basketball and NYC more than anyone.

Reaction Score

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as these Power Conferences become 18,20, 24, won't it become increasingly difficult for Uconn to get future games scheduled against these conferences ? To me it looks a bit concerning for future scheduling. Hope I'm wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom