Conference Coaches of the Year (late season edition) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Conference Coaches of the Year (late season edition)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am sure being a Duke fan with a pic of those 2 coaches would be difficult. You do have Coach K and as I note, JPM is having a better year than Muffet's this year. You must enjoy those 2 having such bad years. My delight was the ND men had to have a buzzer beater to keep William's record still as bad as Muffet's.

Im not a McGraw fan, but I dont have a disdain for her that most of this board has. I don't find a ton of joy in ND's disappointing season....... because they bring alot of fans to Greensboro... and thats good for my city. Its gonna be weird to not seeing all that green in the stands on the weekend.

The other one pictured ..... well..... you know how I roll :rolleyes: Its actually seeing that particular shade of blue that gets me riled up. :mad:

Reaction Score
Doug Bruno at DePaul would be an obvious choice; however, I’m really impressed with what Duffy has done at Marquette, and also the Butler head coach. They were supposed to be at the bottom of the Big East this year and they are at the top.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Doug Bruno at DePaul would be an obvious choice; however, I’m really impressed with what Duffy has done at Marquette, and also the Butler head coach. They were supposed to be at the bottom of the Big East this year and they are at the top.
Duffy has done a great job, but I also can't help but wonder if people just underestimated the quality of the returning talent. Lott, Spingola and Van Kleunen are better than they were given credit for last year.

I give the edge to Bruno. Many people, myself included, thought they might have a slight down year after all the talent they graduated. Well, it turns out they've had their best regular season in quite a while. They even beat giant-killer Northwestern, and @triaddukefan knows very well what a great feat that is :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Duffy has done a great job, but I also can't help but wonder if people just underestimated the quality of the returning talent. Lott, Spingola and Van Kleunen are better than they were given credit for last year.

I give the edge to Bruno. Many people, myself included, thought they might have a slight down year after all the talent they graduated. Well, it turns out they've had their best regular season in quite a while. They even beat giant-killer Northwestern, and @triaddukefan knows very well what a great feat that is :)

Wait, people underestimated Marquette's returning talent, but didn't do the exact same thing for DePaul? Hmm, interesting. :rolleyes: Marquette graduated way more production than DePaul did.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wait, people underestimated Marquette's returning talent, but didn't do the exact same thing for DePaul? Hmm, interesting. :rolleyes: Marquette graduated way more production than DePaul did.
You've gone oranges and apples on me.

Marquette was picked to finish last in the Big East. So yes, the returning talent was sorely underestimated.

DePaul was still picked to win the Big East, but they weren't expected to be as good as they are.

Reaction Score
Probably JPM best coaching job in a decade. Maybe less is more. Duke flew under the radar nationally and now they are playing really good basketball. I'm really looking forward to the ACC tournament next month.

Reaction Score
Probably JPM best coaching job in a decade. Maybe less is more. Duke flew under the radar nationally and now they are playing really good basketball. I'm really looking forward to the ACC tournament next month.

All they needed was to keep their players healthy, which doesn’t happen for them very often.

Reaction Score
In the PAC-12, Arizona's Adia Barnes should be a frontrunner for the COY award with four regular season games remaining.
If I were looking at coach whose team has made the biggest jump this year, I would give it to J R Payne.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Barnes or Graves for PAC. Leaning toward Graves.

Mulkey for B12. Easy choice.

McKeown for B1G. Easy choice IMO although both Brenda and Bluder are having really good years.

Dawn for SEC. I love Vic but Dawn deserves it hands down over him this year.

Walz for ACC. Maybe P? Nah, I'll stick with Jeff.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If I were looking at coach whose team has made the biggest jump this year, I would give it to J R Payne.

Of course you would. Your enthusiasm for Colorado this year has been endlessly entertaining. They have done nothing to separate themselves from USC, Utah, Washington or Washington St.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Of course you would. Your enthusiasm for Colorado this year has been endlessly entertaining. They have done nothing to separate themselves from USC, Utah, Washington or Washington St.

The ultimate Pacific NW homer vs the ultimate Colorado homer! I'm siding with you on this one though. Going from 2-16 to (likely) 5-13 ain't COY material even if theyve come painstakingly close to pulling off some massive upsets. Graves is my pick.

Reaction Score

McKeown for B1G. Easy choice IMO although both Brenda and Bluder are having really good years.

I think Raegan Pebley could challenge Mulkey, TCU was originally picked to finish 8th in the pre season poll and they are in 2nd place right now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

1st place finish after they were picked by everyone to finish first?

Reaction Score
ACC: McCallie (I had Fortner early on even Hoover)
B1G: McKeown
BIG 12: Pebley
PAC 12: Barnes
SEC: Staley

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Dawn get the Naismith this year to be the first to win as player and coach.

You'd have thought she would have gotten one already, but the most obvious years she lost to Muffett, Geno, and Courtney Banghart (the undefeated season for Princeton).

Reaction Score
I hold back my vote at this point. I want to see how GEORGIA TECH in the tournament ...But I love how Nell Fournier is coaching this team up to this point.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Umm, maybe Regan Pebley from TCU instead of Kim...depends if there is any anti-Baylor sentiment like in the ACC for ND...
ACC still seems it should be Jeff despite this recent run by JPM. Talent has been there all along but she still has 5 conference losses...

What about the American? Should Geno win it for the 6th time in 7 years? ;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Umm, maybe Regan Pebley from TCU instead of Kim...depends if there is any anti-Baylor sentiment like in the ACC for ND...
ACC still seems it should be Jeff despite this recent run by JPM. Talent has been there all along but she still has 5 conference losses...

What about the American? Should Geno win it for the 6th time in 7 years? ;)
Mulkey = expected wins, Pebley = improvement; same arguement as Graves and Barnes and indeed the argument eternal in coach of year awards.

In the case of the AAC - is there anyone that "did" anything notable. Not that I heard, Geno it probably should be. But I don't - in general - favor just giving the award to the most winning team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
There, I fixed it for you...
Seriously, I can’t help but think if this late season surge may help JPM get an extension. Just a couple months ago I was pretty sure next year was destined to be her last.

Reaction Score
Seriously, I can’t help but think if this late season surge may help JPM get an extension. Just a couple months ago I was pretty sure next year was destined to be her last.

Thats how this always works. A coach on the brink of getting fired only to pull a rabbit out of their hat to get another extension. They will go another two years of bad/medicore play then have another surge year. Rinse and repeat. :D

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thats how this always works. A coach on the brink of getting fired only to pull a rabbit out of their hat to get another extension. They will go another two years of bad/medicore play then have another surge year. Rinse and repeat. :D
Why do I get the feeling this hits a little too close to home for you? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom